RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Had the opportunity to tour Juno Beach (Juno was where the Canadian 3rd Infantry Division landed) a few years ago with my wife and daughter. It was a somber morning.

Freedom ain't free nor cheap.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Was wondering if I was the only one who remembered what today was when I looked at the calendar.

Greatest generation, for sure.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I remember, I am the child of Depression children, the child of a WWII combat sailor, the grandchild of a WWI soldier that served in France, the descendant of a Civil War soldiers, of a Revolutionary War soldier and am Vietnam veteran.

No officers, no medals, just did their duty and served when the country called.

Just like millions of others that served, we remember.

·
Registered
766 Posts
73 Years today...Remember Honor and Respect...
74th year anniversary, Had an Uncle who fought from Normandy to Bastogne. My Mother had 5 brothers, (2) never came back, ultimate sacrifice. Just saying, retired vet also, but nothing like what the Greatest Generation did and served, IMHO,,,:cool:

·
Administrator
4,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Today 74th...My Father fought in China Burma India theater flew unarmed supply missions over the Hump...I have all his medals and flags from the period. We remember and we miss. My original post was from year 73...and brought back by a new member...

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Reactions: 97hmcs

·
Registered
13,733 Posts
Good thing to renew each year. The world was a horror back then. We should never forget why.

French have yet to ask for a passport from those that landed or tried and died.

·
Registered
698 Posts
"Bloody Omaha".

All that open expanse of beach with zeroed in machine gun fire, just like the poor Marines at Tarawa wading chest deep in water trying to reach the beach, we are blessed with all these heroes.

Every June 6th I think back to the 60's and this story from the era.

“Ask him about the cemeteries, Dean!"

In 1966 upon being told that President Charles DeGaulle had taken France out of NATO and that all U.S. troops must be evacuated off of French soil President Lyndon Johnson mentioned to Secretary of State Dean Rusk that he should ask DeGaulle about the Americans buried in France. Dean implied in his answer that DeGaulle should not really be asked that in the meeting at which point President Johnson then told Secretary of State Dean Rusk:

"Ask him about the cemeteries Dean!"

That made it into a Presidential Order so he had to ask President DeGaulle.

So at end of the meeting Dean did ask DeGaulle if his order to remove all U.S. troops from French soil also included the 60,000+ soldiers buried in France from World War I and World War II.

DeGaulle, embarrassed, got up and left and never answered.”

― Lyndon B. Johnson

1 - 13 of 13 Posts