RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. Here’s my story. I started looking into the Ram 1500 back in February. I don’t really need a truck. I don’t tow, haul, or do anything like that. I just wanted one. I’m a Texas gal. I originally started looking at the Pentastar engine because I had no need for the Hemi. Well, I knew I wanted the Laramie trim and at that time the Pentastar wasn’t available in the Laramie. That’s when I started looking into the EcoD. I know nothing about diesels (or cars in general), but I sure did learn a lot from being on this forum and reading about the wealth of knowledge you guys have shared. I decided the EcoD was for me just because of the fuel mileage over the hemi.

When I was finally ready to pull the trigger, Ram decided to make the Pentastar available on the Laramie! Man I was torn. What do I do now? I had convinced myself that I would be getting the EcoD and was excited to get something different than what other people had. I went back and forth for a long time on what I would get. I finally decided I would go ahead and get the Ecodiesel. After all, I had already ordered my diesel fuel cap. Haha! Again, I don’t NEED it. I just WANTED it. :eek:

Here’s the timeline:
Ordered: 5/9
Vin assigned: 5/12
Build date: 5/28
Ship date: 6/5
Delivered: 6/14
Total time: 36 days from order to delivery.

Specs:
Laramie 4x2 shortbox
Sunroof
Rambox
Wheel to wheel side steps
…and more

I think the only option I didn’t get was the Air suspension b/c it was under restriction for the 4x2. I also did not get the tow package b/c I wanted power side mirrors.

I would’ve stepped up to the Limited, except I couldn’t get a 4x2 w/ the shortbox. 4x4 was available but I really have no need for 4x4 and it would’ve put me over budget.

Anyway, here’s the part people care about. Pictures!

When I first picked her up

After getting her home and cleaned up myself:

In the past week I have installed Weathertech window deflectors, mudflaps, and a Retraxpro bed cover. I'll also be getting the front windows tinted next week. Pics of all that coming soon!

Thanks to everyone who contributes to this forum. I really learned a lot from you guys.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I want those wheels when I get mine, what is that style called? If it's one thing I hate about rams website is the lack of visual comparison for different options...

·
Registered
583 Posts
What do you think about the Retrax Pro? Any leaks, rattles? I have a Retrax One on order, just didn't think I needed the extra strength of the Pro to be able to stand on the tonneau cover. I believe the main difference is the Pro has aluminum beams under the One's polycarbonate for extra strength.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I want those wheels when I get mine, what is that style called? If it's one thing I hate about rams website is the lack of visual comparison for different options...
They are the 20-inch Aluminum Chrome Clad wheels. Standard on the Laramie.

Well done Dais! And welcome to this side of the community! :) Give it 30 days and post a review. ;)
Thanks! And will do. So far, I love her!

What do you think about the Retrax Pro? Any leaks, rattles? I have a Retrax One on order, just didn't think I needed the extra strength of the Pro to be able to stand on the tonneau cover. I believe the main difference is the Pro has aluminum beams under the One's polycarbonate for extra strength.
The RetraxPro just got installed last night. Took her out to the movies today and didn’t notice any rattling. When we got out of the movies, it looked like we had a pretty heavy summer shower blow through. Opened up the Retrax and it was bone dry inside the bed.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Nice! How is your fuel mileage? What do you think of the Ramboxes?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Nice! How is your fuel mileage? What do you think of the Ramboxes?
The Ramboxes are a great feature and one of the reasons I started looking at the Ram. I switched from an SUV and I wanted a place to store stuff that wasn't the backseat or the bed of the truck. The ramboxes fit that bill perfectly for me. Right now I've got my jumper cables in there and I've used them for groceries and just shopping in general. :) It's also a good place to put left overs aka doggie bags because then the smell of the food doesn't stink up the interior. Just don't forget it's in there!

As far as fuel mileage goes, I'm still on the first tank that the dealer filled for me. But EVIC is currently reading 23mpg. That's 75% city, 25% highway, lots of idling, and hard driving. I also never reset the EVIC when I picked her up so that includes all the idling they did when prepping the vechicle. I'll try to fill up today so I can hand calc.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Weathertech Window Deflectors

Here are pictures of my weathertech window deflectors.
Install time for 1 chic - 15 minutes

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Weathertech Mudflaps

Here are my weathertech mudflaps installed
Install time for 1 chic - 10 min

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Lol wow that's tailor made!

I'm waiting for duane (sportsguy) to see the post above....I need a laugh today lol

Reactions: westondan

·
Registered
177 Posts
Wow I'm jealous. I order mine June 9 still don't have the Vin :( I wanted everything you got but the want the air ride. so I jumped to a 4X4 longhorn. with the tow mirrors and the 392 rear. I sold my F150 this weekend I just got tired of the 8 to 11 mpg I got from the 5.4. they said I couldn't order it with the tonneau cover. so I may order the back flip VP.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow I'm jealous. I order mine June 9 still don't have the Vin :( I wanted everything you got but the want the air ride. so I jumped to a 4X4 longhorn. with the tow mirrors and the 392 rear. I sold my F150 this weekend I just got tired of the 8 to 11 mpg I got from the 5.4. they said I couldn't order it with the tonneau cover. so I may order the back flip VP.
Hang in there. I know how you feel. After I ordered mine I couldn't sleep without dreaming about it being delivered!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
RetraxPro

Here's are the pics of the Retraxpro installed.
Install time for 2 chics - 2 hours

and this is just a pic of me with my new toy. :)

No rattling with the retrax. I gave her a bath today and some water did get into the bed at the tailgate area, but that might have been fault. I think I may have pushed that in while I was drying it.

First fill up today since picking her up from the dealer. I've only put 432 miles on her and hand calculated I got 21.7mpg. EVIC read 22.8. That's with a lot of city driving, stop and go traffic, idling while showing off, and hard driving. I'm sure it'll go up after I go back to driving like a grandma.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Whoa, that is a tight fit in the garage! Let us know how those 3.92s make work out on the highway. I’m still debating 3.55 vs. 3.92 myself and am trying to see how real world fuel mileage numbers compare.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts