RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone using the iTunes Dashcommand OBDII app with either a Wifi or Bluetooth OBDII interface? It seems like a cool little toy but I would like opinions of actual users.

Is there any new information collected by the app worth the purchase?

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
image.jpg

Okay, the OBDII wifi interface arrived along with the iPad/iPhone mount and Dashcommand has been loaded. Some preliminary vehicle information has been entered. Now I have to figure out how to use it. No easy task for me. This could take awhile.

But it looks cool as hell.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Just keep in mind that the police might feel that's a "distraction" and fine you. Laws vary by area, but many areas have laws that preclude devices bigger than X from being in the driver's line of sight. leaves it open for GPS units, but cuts down on ppl watching movies on iPads while driving. And the officer might not care that this isn't a movie - that'll be up to you to fight in court, unfortunately.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good point. That never crossed my mind. I can use the app on my iPhone. I'm sure the local police must see lots of iPhones on holders.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Good point. That never crossed my mind. I can use the app on my iPhone. I'm sure the local police must see lots of iPhones on holders.
And they'd be under the size limit set to allow portable GPS units anyway... or close enough if the law exists and lists a spec. ;)

Not saying don't run the iPad, just either be careful, or do the research to know for sure about your area.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I carry my phone with me anyways so used it today for Dashcommand. It works fine. The screen size is adequate and did the trick. Problem solved.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Only thing that sucks is that (as far as I can figure out) since the apple version uses wifi and not bluetooth, you lose all cell data when you're linked to the wifi obd adapter since its trying to find internet through the wifi and not the cell network

1 - 10 of 10 Posts