RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

141 - 160 of 194 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
kerlyb

Sorry for the late response. I printed off some of the info from this thread and gave it to them when I dropped the truck off. When I picked up the truck I did not ask that specific question.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I guess my years as a GM owner spoiled me. Nothing to turn on or off. Put it gear and the DRL's are there. Some folks feel otherwise, but I like them. Most of my Harleys had them, my new Accord has them. When I got out of the GMC into the Ram, I felt naked without them. Life is good again now :) Happy to have found a dealer that actually cares about my personal preference.
Sorry if this was already brought up, I only read page 1.
I thought the reason some in the US did not get DTRL is that they are illegal to use on some freeways.
Is this no longer true? And if it is, which ones are not permitted.

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Sorry if this was already brought up, I only read page 1.
I thought the reason some in the US did not get DTRL is that they are illegal to use on some freeways.
Is this no longer true? And if it is, which ones are not permitted.
Untrue, they're permitted everywhere.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Sorry if it was already mentioned or asked, but is there a simple way to make the lights white? I'm not a fan of the yellow

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #147
Sorry if it was already mentioned or asked, but is there a simple way to make the lights white? I'm not a fan of the yellow
Ask them to add sales code LM1 instead of LM5. This will enable the headlights at reduced brightness instead of the LED lamps.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I own a 2015 Ram 2500 Outdoorsman. It has the high output halogen headlights that come with the outdoorsman package, but does not have the projector style headlights. I went to the dealer to have the DRL enable procedure done on the truck to turn on the daytime running lamps and told them I wanted LM5 to turn on the amber lights as the DRLs. I gave them the instructions on how to do it. When I picked up the truck, they charged me $80 and said they could only do LM1 on the truck because it didn't have projector style headlights. They said when they tried LM5 it gave a bunch of error codes so they had to do LM1. Do they know what they are talking about here? Is it possible to have LM5 done on this truck if it does not have projector style headlights? I see in the instructions it says LM5 is for head lamp style High Line - Projector. I have called them back and told them about what I read here that the regional service rep needs to turn on the option for the VIN and they said they would look into it. I haven't heard back. I don't want to push it if I'm wrong, but if they are wrong and it can be done to have the amber lights on, I want them to make it right. Can someone clear this up for me?
tdouty, did you have success with this eventually? I'm in a similar boat but have a Canadian truck with the quad halogen 60% highs activated. I want to have the signals (LM5) code activated so that I can install my HID projector modded headlights from a 2012 Ram project. I suspect this cannot be done because of the current draw from the filament signal bulb vs low current LED's hence codes.

Maybe an LED replacement bulb would work?

Cheers,

Skydog

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this thread is a little old, but I joined the forum to thank the OP for this - I had mine done yesterday free of charge at a dealer in my city. Guys were great!

I swapped my reverse and license plate lights over to LED the day I bought the truck and have been getting that annoying chime and message telling me that the lights were burned out every time I depress the brake pedal and periodically throughout the commute. I was about to swap them back over to incandescent bulbs, but thought to asked the service writer if he could ask the technician to disable that chime while he was enabling the DRLs. He said he didn't think it could be done, but he would ask anyway.

They wouldn't allow me in the shop (insurance excuse), so I didn't get to watch them work on the truck, but about 15 minutes later, they're pulling my truck out of the shop and the DRLs (LM5 option) were bangin'. The tech hops out of the truck and said that he turned off the "light out" chime feature, but it didn't seem to work. He shut off the truck and restarted it and it chimed and the "Lights out" message popped up to show the failed attempt to defeat the feature. He apologized that it didn't work, to which I thanked him for trying anyway.

But it did work! Yes, the "Reverse Light Out" and "License Plate Light Out" message and chime happens when the truck is initially started, but never once did it chime and complain on the commute home. It makes sense that it would report the "fault" condition when the truck is first started, so the "feature" he defeated was the incessant and annoying "Hey, guess what? You've got burned out lights - just in case you forgot since I told you about it the last time you stepped on the brakes" feature.

My avatar is the DRLs activated. Thanks again, OP.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Went to my local dealer here in Huntington Beach, CA for the DTRL option... loaded it up for me no charge. took about 10-15 minutes. amazing.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Went to my local dealer here in Huntington Beach, CA for the DTRL option... loaded it up for me no charge. took about 10-15 minutes. amazing.
Glad they took care of it for you. Last dealer I called to get the brake controller and DTRL's turned on quoted me 1.5 hours at $120/hr. Ha. Other local ones aren't much better. Lowest price so far is $150. Ripoff artists.

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Glad they took care of it for you. Last dealer I called to get the brake controller and DTRL's turned on quoted me 1.5 hours at $120/hr. Ha. Other local ones aren't much better. Lowest price so far is $150. Ripoff artists.
I was quoted a similar 1hr minimum for programming time. After the 3rd visit there was no charge. Not sure if it was due to repeated trips or my truck being new, or a combination.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
I guess my years as a GM owner spoiled me. Nothing to turn on or off. Put it gear and the DRL's are there. Some folks feel otherwise, but I like them. Most of my Harleys had them, my new Accord has them. When I got out of the GMC into the Ram, I felt naked without them. Life is good again now :) Happy to have found a dealer that actually cares about my personal preference.
Yeah me too. The GM's for years turned all the lights on for me. All I had to do is get in and drive.
Rams in Canada come with the DRL as mandatory which is good.

·
Registered
18 Posts
It's insane really... i called one dealer and wanted to charge me $155. Swung over to my local dealer just minutes from my house, service manager didn't even think about it. Hooked it up, did the install, he said don't even worry about it... enjoy the weekend. That's solid service.

My question now is, did they flash the ECM. I feel like my GDE tune isn't performing like it was. For example, when I would get on the accelerator, I could really hear the air intake after letting off.... since the dealer trip, I can't really hear it now. I did the cruise control at 15 MPG test and that worked fine. Any other ideas/tests?

·
Registered
14 Posts
It's insane really... i called one dealer and wanted to charge me $155. Swung over to my local dealer just minutes from my house, service manager didn't even think about it. Hooked it up, did the install, he said don't even worry about it... enjoy the weekend. That's solid service.

My question now is, did they flash the ECM. I feel like my GDE tune isn't performing like it was. For example, when I would get on the accelerator, I could really hear the air intake after letting off.... since the dealer trip, I can't really hear it now. I did the cruise control at 15 MPG test and that worked fine. Any other ideas/tests?
The flash for the DRL's wouldn't have done anything to the ECM, but do you know for sure he didn't update the ECM for some other update thinking he was doing you a service?

·
Registered
18 Posts
that's the $50 (cost to have GDE reflash) question. There could have been an update and they did it without telling me. It's my fault for telling them first hand not to flash the ECM. I'm not sure though if they did.

141 - 160 of 194 Posts