RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm taking delivery this week of a new 2015 Ram 1500 ecodiesel. I'm wondering what other buyers have experienced with the dealer provided rust proofing, undercoat, paint protection vs. after market solutions such as Krown rust proofing or other.

I'm in Canada and I'm curious to see what other aftermarket options there are.

So far what I'm seeing is:

Factory rust proofing - $598 "limited lifetime warranty" for rust perforating body from inside out

Undercoat - $598 - "limited lifetime warranty" for what, I'm not sure

I'd be really interested to see the details on the above plans if anyone's got them and how much they cost at their dealer?

Krown rustproofing:

$139/year must be done every year- covers:

ALL body panels below window line.
ALL seams and crevices.
ALL floor/rocker panels.
If any of the above perforates by rusting thru, from the inside out, we will repair/replace them at No Charge, up to the then current cash value of the vehicle as determined by us according to the Red Book.

If you sell the vehicle, the warranty is transferable to the new owner at No Cost. The warranty is honored at all KROWN Centres.

KROWN'S warranty excludes only the following:

Roofs; rusting caused by stone chips, nicks, scratches, chips; rusting of caulk filled areas; the front fenders without fender liners, all mechanical parts, paint peeling/blistering/bubbling along seams, crevices and body panels that are not perforation.

Based on this limited amount of info, it does seem like the dealers' coverage is more comprehensive, but I don't have the fine print on it.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Hi: Also from Canada, winnipeg is starting to use more and more road salt and this being my first brand new vehicle i chose to go with Krown and was very pleased with the dealer,it is going back next month for it's yearly application,after doing considerable research i kept hearing great things from Krown especially in eastern Canada and knowing how much salt they use my decision was made..

·
Registered
10 Posts
In Canada as well... and here in Ontario its the salt as well as the beet/juice brine that can do wonderful things to the body panels.... I decided on Corrosion Free. $129 plus tax at the local Canadian Tire and reapply every 18 months and if you get it on before the first snow they warranty for life..

·
Registered
68 Posts
Fellow Canuck here as well. I bought my wife a new Caravan 3 yrs ago and ponied up for the dealers lifetime protectant. I was so happy with it that I negotiated it into the deal on my eco in August. Every time she brings the van in for some kind of service the dealer retouches up any spots that need it and also take the time to show her.
I have my entire fleet of snow plows sprayed with krown every year and I am very impressed with that application as well.
You can't go wrong either way.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Dealer does a half ass job of undercoating. They didn't spray under spare tire and they don't spray inside the panels. Just on the outside to justify what they charged you for. Nice to have underside of truck all black though which is what they do. I had factory undercoating done but then also went to crown.

·
Registered
829 Posts
I know it may not be applicable to you living in Ontario (unless you want to drive to Maine to get it done) but I used these people for a permanent rustproof/undercoating job that included application of Rhinoliner on the rocker area from the front wheels to the rear bumper. It was $1400. total and 3 days of work for them. Point is, try to find a reputable local outfit. You'll get a better product. I don't have to keep going back for re-applications either.Hachey's Auto Enhancing - enhance the appearance, longevity, and value of your vehicle

1 - 6 of 6 Posts