RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I stopped by my friendly neighborhood FCA dealer ... the only one withing 60 miles ... to have the the tailgate recall performed and clear up the auto park recall. When I got to work after the recall, I looked over the "inspection sheet". They say I'm over due for a fuel filter change (no, sorry guys, I do that myself) and they quoted me $379 to change the fuel filter. Almost fell out of my chair laughing. Last time I changed my filter ... about 7k miles ago ... it cost me about $30 for a Mopar filter and 15 minutes of work. Half of that was getting my truck up on ramps so I could slide my fat belly under the truck.

In good news, replacing the rear camera (it doesn't show the lines anymore) dropped from $240 the last time I was in to $100.

Do they just randomly generate prices?

Anyway, I change my fuel filter every year or 12k miles. Turns out I drive about 12k miles per year.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I paid to have the fuel filter changed on my by the dealer, it is expensive, I'm not sure why. I'm finding it to be more difficult to keep all the paperwork on the truck, all of my receipts for the oil, fuel filters etc. that would give me an impeccable argument if something went wrong. on other vehicles that I didn't care about the warranty on, I did the work myself but this thing I'm tied to the warranty so I'm letting them keep the records and do the work. if they screw it up, that's on them. I don't have the time to sit around and fight with FCA about the work I did and make a case for it. to each their own but i don't feel bad paying them to screw it up themselves.

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
I guess if I ever have problems im just going to have to scream. I do my own maintenance and the only record I have of it is written in pen in my owners manual deal in the console.

I changed my last fuel filter in about 10 minutes in the morning before I went to work. It is a breeze I cannot imagine the dealer charging people 2, 3, and 400 dollars for this service. Any dealer or person who would charge that is not anyone you should trust.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I've had mine done ... it wasn't anywhere near $300. In fact, as I recall, I had it done with a regular service (oil, lube, etc) and the whole thing was about $300. I'd have to check the bill.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was doing my thing this afternoon and I got to thinking. I bet he priced me out for a water/fuel separator for 2014 Ram 6.7L Cummins.

·
Registered
77 Posts
In my experience it depends on the dealer and whether they know what they are doing. One dealer replaced the whole filter/housing assembly on mine because they "didn't know" there was a paper filter inside. I googled it, gave them the mopar part number for the filter, and they gave me a refund because of their screw-up.

The price for the whole assembly is about $200 IIRC. so $200 for the assembly and $100 for 1 hour labor. $300 sounds about right.

I bought the oil change package with the truck, so for me it's much easier and more convenient to just pay them to do the fuel filter while it's on the lift too.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
I paid to have the fuel filter changed on my by the dealer, it is expensive, I'm not sure why. I'm finding it to be more difficult to keep all the paperwork on the truck, all of my receipts for the oil, fuel filters etc. that would give me an impeccable argument if something went wrong. on other vehicles that I didn't care about the warranty on, I did the work myself but this thing I'm tied to the warranty so I'm letting them keep the records and do the work. if they screw it up, that's on them. I don't have the time to sit around and fight with FCA about the work I did and make a case for it. to each their own but i don't feel bad paying them to screw it up themselves.
Well, if you just want to throw money at it then dealership all the way.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, if you just want to throw money at it then dealership all the way.
If I had it to throw, I'd probably just let them do it. Problem is my kids need glasses and some dental work. The in-laws and out-laws live over 6 hours away so it costs an arm just to visit them. Not to mention it gives me pleasure to actually work on my vehicles and accomplish something. That feeling does not come from what I do for my job.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
If I had it to throw, I'd probably just let them do it. Problem is my kids need glasses and some dental work. The in-laws and out-laws live over 6 hours away so it costs an arm just to visit them. Not to mention it gives me pleasure to actually work on my vehicles and accomplish something. That feeling does not come from what I do for my job.
I was being snarky with Hammer since he said (pretty much) the same thing in another thread.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Silly question - but have you checked your camera in settings? My lines were gone as well, after the AEM update. I had to turn them back on in settings - under driver assistance I think.
Checked that already. This occurred before the AEM update. It gets weird. I go into settings and the box for the lines is checked. I unchecked it and within seconds it rechecks itself. Definitely something screwy. Dealer made it sound like the lines in the camera image are added at the camera but then that means the camera would need to know the steering position sensor information in order to curve the lines. Why wouldn't they just overlay that in software at the info-tainment center? Perhaps it has to do with alignment and it is easier and more accurate to do it at the camera and just create and send the composite image.

Eh. I'll live.

·
Registered
773 Posts
When I called one dealer to price out the 20k service, they quoted two line items for the fuel filter. One was just to drain off the water and the other was to change the filter. I never found out how they change the filter without draining off the water since I went to a different dealer. Just passed 30k and will be taking it to a local guy that's been really god on my other cars. Fixed a part on my daughter's Corolla for $125 that the dealer wanted $1700 to start. Said they had to pull the engine to get to the broken belt tensioner.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Checked that already. This occurred before the AEM update. It gets weird. I go into settings and the box for the lines is checked. I unchecked it and within seconds it rechecks itself. Definitely something screwy. Dealer made it sound like the lines in the camera image are added at the camera but then that means the camera would need to know the steering position sensor information in order to curve the lines. Why wouldn't they just overlay that in software at the info-tainment center? Perhaps it has to do with alignment and it is easier and more accurate to do it at the camera and just create and send the composite image.

Eh. I'll live.
That is weird. Sounds like a software issue to me (I work in IT). Have you tried to update Uconnect? It is a pretty painless process, and might correct the glitch.

·
Registered
37 Posts
That is weird. Sounds like a software issue to me (I work in IT). Have you tried to update Uconnect? It is a pretty painless process, and might correct the glitch.
And on that note, did you get the over the air Uconnect update that went out about a month ago?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Do you have a scanned copy of the report? It is possible that you had dirty injectors that threw a low quantity code. The LQ code usually doesn't generate a check engine light, but will be stored in the ECU. The only way to get to it is using their diagnostic software. It doesn't even show up on most OBDII reads. That job therefore sounds about right for a new filter, complete fuel system flush, injector flush, and labor.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
And on that note, did you get the over the air Uconnect update that went out about a month ago?
Yes. I got it just this week. No noticeable changes for me.

Do you have a scanned copy of the report? It is possible that you had dirty injectors that threw a low quantity code. The LQ code usually doesn't generate a check engine light, but will be stored in the ECU. The only way to get to it is using their diagnostic software. It doesn't even show up on most OBDII reads. That job therefore sounds about right for a new filter, complete fuel system flush, injector flush, and labor.
I do have the report and it is linked below. It reads as I would expect. Nothing too important. It says nothing about why the technician recommended a replacement. Was it a OBDII scan report? No info. Was it recommended base on the last time they know the filter was changed? No info. The service manager didn't even say anything about it to me. I just saw it on the report after I got back to work.

Not sure how I can have dirty injectors. I use only Mopar filters and change the fuel filter at about 10-12k miles. I could go to less than 10k if it help but that doesn't clear up some unknowns. I use fuel from "high volume stations" ... whatever that means in this god-forsaken portion of the world.

Dealer Service Report from Tailgate Recall

MAJOR UPDATE: I received an email yesterday (Oct-12) that my technician has openings to address the listed issues.

Okay, okay, this was basically an auto generated email but I'm seriously frustrated with the whole process.

·
Registered
378 Posts
When my truck went into limp mode. I limped into a dealer that diagnosed the issue as a fuel filter, air filter and moisture in the throttle body. Quoted me $750. Thieves. I self diagnosed the underlying issue as the leaking EGR cooler three weeks later. GDE tune and I've never had a problem since. That was 100,000 kms ago.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts