RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I took my 2015 in last February to have the leak on the timing cover fixed.

This morning while doing the first oil change since then I noticed that the drain plug was oily and didn't have the Blue Teflon Tape on the threads that I use (aftermarket AFE pan that comes w/ a magnetic drain bolt).

I always give a quick spray of Brake Cleaner when I'm done so the bolt stays nice and clean.

So here's my question? Did the dealer drain my oil to perform the repair and then reuse the oil? If yes, I understand costs amd what FCA pays them for but why not ask me, the owner, if I'd like to pay for an oil change or provide new oil?

There's no way that the practice of drain and reuse at a dealer can be done regularly without cross contamination.

I grabbed and oil sample and will send it off. It should be Mobil1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5w40 and I have a few older UOA's to compare it to.

Not gonna complain to the dealer. Just chalk it up to leasons learned.

Super Moderator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
I'm going to take the guess the dealer drained the oils and just refilled it with new. Probably going to come back as probably T6 or whatever brand the dealer uses.

Registered
I took my 2015 in last February to have the leak on the timing cover fixed.

snipped

So here's my question? Did the dealer drain my oil to perform the repair and then reuse the oil? If yes, I understand costs amd what FCA pays them for but why not ask me, the owner, if I'd like to pay for an oil change or provide new oil?

snipped
What does your invoice say? Even if it was warranty, an FCA invoice always says what they did and what they used.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
I'm going to take the guess the dealer drained the oils and just refilled it with new. Probably going to come back as probably T6 or whatever brand the dealer uses.
I checked the oil level when I got home from the dealer. It was already pitch black. Even being untuned it takes longer than that to go from amber to pitch black.

Registered
I checked the oil level when I got home from the dealer. It was already pitch black. Even being untuned it takes longer than that to go from amber to pitch black.
I live 10 miles from my dealer and my oil was always black I got home. Not sure how far you live.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts