RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All - It's been a while. Here's my problem: I have a 2015 Outdoorsman with a GDE tune that I love. In preparation for the AEM update, I purchased a used ECM on ebay from a salvage vehicle. I went to the dealer to discuss my plan of having them install the replacement ECM, do the AEM update, and give me my old ECM to reinstall later.

I was surprised to have the dealer tell me that they can program a "blank" ECM but they could not change the VIN in a used ECM. They were willing to go along with my plan if I could bring the a ECM that was "wiped clean", something they could not do.

I asked GDE if they could just wipe it for me and they declined. I am interested in the gang's thoughts about : 1) Is the dealer correct? 2) If so, who could "wipe" the second ECM for me?

·
Registered
538 Posts
There are non-dealer outfits that can program your used ECM to your truck. I know this for a fact. You’ll have to drive there and swap the units so they can program the used unit. Since you have no way of getting your tuned unit flashed by GDE I suggest swapping it yourself and take zero chance that anyone mistakenly flashes over your tuned ECM. Could run you $100-200 but you only have to do it once and you’re set. PM me if you want to chat about it.

Reactions: Boulder Mark

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
The dealer can reprogram a used ecm but they need to install it and do it all with there witech via obd2. The problem is not many techs know how to do that kind of thing and the dealership doesn't want to back up that they can. They probably would sell you a new blank ecm for $650 and then charge you $120+ to set it up without hesitation. If your savy you could reprogram the vin and cal codes with alpha obd and some research for way less.

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
Boulder Mark , you will need to read this thread :
lhttps://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/ram-1500-diesel-general-discussion/66602-programming-new-ecm-ed-alphaobd.html
----------
might cost you +/- $150 to get the Alfa Obd App , and a MX dongle ,
*don't get the LX dongle *, then you do not need the dealer to
mate your replacement ECM to your truck ,
and that Alfa Obd App tool is a powerful tool , you can customise
everything about your truck with it .
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Look at post # 461 , there is a step by step in a PDF file in there .
"""" suggest you slowly read the whole thread ...."""""
*** You have a 2015 , so ,,, it is Important that your replacement ECM be a 2014 or 2015 ,
the software in the 2016 and newer trucks have bits of the program looking for
data from the DEF quality sensor in the DEF tank , your 2015 does not have a DEF quality sensor ,
If you have a 2016 ECM it will throw a code because it is not receiving the data .

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Brokendownbutgood is correct. My dealer charged 60.00 to flash my used ECU to my Vin.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Under what circumstances.
My great Service Manager understands diesels and agreed that I should tune because I'm a 80-90% short trips (6 to 12 miles) user.
I gave him my used ECM to be "flashed" to my truck in order to GDE tune the OEM ECM. Each time I've been to the dealer and a flash is to be done, he replaces the tuned ECM with the stock ECM does the flash and reinstalls the tuned ECM. How's that for a great service!

Now that I have the SFT Touchscreen tuner I can return the tuned ECM to stock, get a dealer flash and return the ECM back to the SFT tune all by myself.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Wonder how long before SFT gets that unexpected knock on the door?
Exactly! I eventually plan to totally delete the emissions once the Maxcare expires. I ordered the SFT stage 2, Flo pro pipe, and egr delete kit to keep in reserve for the eventual day of deletion.

Emissions repairs after warranty expiration is something I don't plan to tolerate.

By the way, one of our vending sponsors, CARiD sells the Flo Pro for $215. You can get the egr delete kit on eBay for under a $100. Acquire your choice of stage 2 tunes and the total cost of delete is a fraction of the cost of repairing the emissions crap. Buy now while the parts and tunes are available.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Wonder how long before SFT gets that unexpected knock on the door?
They're in Canada. The Gestapo has no jurisdiction there.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Interesting how every time SFT is mentioned in a thread it quickly gets highjacked with cynical remarks.

·
Registered
2015 RAM 1500 CC 4x4
5,051 Posts
Interesting how every time SFT is mentioned in a thread it quickly gets highjacked with cynical remarks.
I meant nothing negative of them by it, but if the epa came after GDE I bet they will be around for others soon enough. I hope they don’t get checked I don’t need my name on two lists lol

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I meant nothing negative of them by it, but if the epa came after GDE I bet they will be around for others soon enough. I hope they don’t get checked I don’t need my name on two lists lol
MAS,
I wasn't referring to your post, you were not negative, you were realistic.
John

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
I'm guessing the Gov't was going after the big players first, might take a while before they get to Jimmy and SFT.

But then again Jimmy told me himself he's EPA compliant, so he has no worries lol.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I'm guessing the Gov't was going after the big players first, might take a while before they get to Jimmy and SFT.

But then again Jimmy told me himself he's EPA compliant, so he has no worries lol.
As I understand the EPA plan, anyone selling anything that affects OEM emissions is in violation. That said, I don't see how Jimmy could be EPA compliant. Time will tell.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts