RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I picked up my truck after the AEM recall...

Dealer: "You may notice the truck is slower, gets worse gas mileage, or hesitates off the line."
Me: "You know that's a contradiction of the FCA details about the AEM?"
Dealer: "Yes but that's what people are telling us so we want to pass it on to the customer."
Me: "Well I appreciate the honesty but wish you told me before I got it done, not after. Should I bring it back if I have problems?"
Dealer: "No, that's why we're telling you this, there is nothing we can do."

The whole thing is a huge debacle. I actually appreciate the honesty and already knew all that going in. Just thought it's funny that Dealers are contradicting the FCA statements.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I would think FCA would be horrified. Honesty not good, as I remember they claimed it will not effect driveability and fuel economy.

·
Registered
734 Posts
That's about the dumbest thing I've ever heard a dealer tell anyone! What???? We don't care what our company states, we're telling you that they are lying to you.

·
Registered
227 Posts
That's about the dumbest thing I've ever heard a dealer tell anyone! What???? We don't care what our company states, we're telling you that they are lying to you.
LOL, that's the BEST thing I've EVER heard a dealer tell anyone and I wish more people were this honest and owned up to things.

·
Registered
734 Posts
LOL, that's the BEST thing I've EVER heard a dealer tell anyone and I wish more people were this honest and owned up to things.
You are correct and I agree. I should have "silliest" or "crazy". I bet FCA has called this person as I could see this leading to a lot of legal ramifications.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
The thing is they tell you after the fact ,
every medical procedure , they warn you BEFORE the treatments about the possible side effects ,
here the dealer pushed the AEM ( because FCA is required to do 85% of the trucks ) to please
EPA and CARB , so FCA probably don't care what the dealer tells you " after the fact " as long
as they get the 85% of the trucks flashed ...
honesty ..not really , just trying to be buddy-buddy with you , but it is too late , the damage is done
and you now drive a turd .......
settlement quote : ""This Approved Emissions Modification is not expected to change any of your key vehicle attributes, such as reliability, durability, vehicle performance, drivability, engine noise or vibration, or other driving characteristics. Average fuel economy is not expected to change as a result of this Approved Emissions Modification. The Approved Emissions Modification may, under sustained low speed driving (e.g. under 21 mph) with frequent stops, decrease your fuel economy or, under sustained high speed driving conditions, may increase or decrease your fuel economy. As with all vehicles, however, several factors can affect your actual fuel economy such as: how and where you drive, vehicle condition, maintenance and age, fuel variations, and vehicle variations.""
leaving room for the crap result to be explained by the last phrases .
(( text from PDF file , near bottom of page )).

Attachments

·
Registered
638 Posts
Notice the word "Expected" throughout the quote. That is legalize for, we don't think it will affect performance, but your results may be different.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had the same experience at my dealer before the flash; description of poor throttle response, decrease in mileage and potential for failed egr or emissions related part I don't recall exactly which. Their reasoning for telling me this in advance was so that I don't call them back about the changes so as not to fill up their schedule with activities a service department couldn't make money on. They were very overt about their motivations.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I was advised by my dealership in Spokane not to proceed with the AEM if I was currently satisfied with my truck. Service tech told me he was tired of dealing with disgruntled customers who’d had the AEM done and wouldn’t recommend service until FCA releases a new flash that doesn’t impact performance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
229 Posts
I had mine tuned and it definitely affected every aspect. I got this truck because of the fuel economy. With the extra money I spent, I could have gotten a gasser and still been ahead despite the extra money I'd spend in fuel. I'm definitely not happy and wish GDE would reopen so I could get my truck fixed for real. This is like driving a horse/buggy.

·
Registered
2 Posts
When I picked up my truck after the AEM recall...

Dealer: "You may notice the truck is slower, gets worse gas mileage, or hesitates off the line."
Me: "You know that's a contradiction of the FCA details about the AEM?"
Dealer: "Yes but that's what people are telling us so we want to pass it on to the customer."
Me: "Well I appreciate the honesty but wish you told me before I got it done, not after. Should I bring it back if I have problems?"
Dealer: "No, that's why we're telling you this, there is nothing we can do."

The whole thing is a huge debacle. I actually appreciate the honesty and already knew all that going in. Just thought it's funny that Dealers are contradicting the FCA statements.
I got the gde tune a year ago and now I find out gde is basically out of business So if I get the AEM I’m stuck with it. Truck runs great right now but I’m torn on whether to keep it or not. I guess I should quit reading the horror stories here and enjoy it while I can. But I’m not letting the dealer touch it unless I’m trading it off.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
I got the gde tune a year ago and now I find out gde is basically out of business So if I get the AEM I’m stuck with it. Truck runs great right now ... But I’m not letting the dealer touch it unless I’m trading it off.
you might be interested in this thread : https://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/ram-1500-diesel-general-discussion/66602-programming-new-ecm-ed-alphaobd.html

where we learn it is possible to buy a used ECM and match it to your VIN and injector codes ,
you can then swap ECMs , and use the stock ECM for dealer visits and put your GDE tuned ECM
back in when you get home , using that reprogrammed ECM you can get the AEM and get the $3075
, it will pay for that used ECM

1 - 13 of 13 Posts