RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 2014 with 50k miles. The dealer wants to replace the Diesel Particulate Filter at my cost for $3800 saying that it's not covered under warranty. My truck says "Filter 100% Full See Dealer". Also, the electronic throttle control light is on. I have searched a lot (but you can't search for "DPF" because it's too short a word) and found where some email exchange between someone and the EPA occured, and the EPA claimed the DPF is required to be covered under the 8/80k mile warranty. Any updates on that? I don't know what to do.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Its part of the 8/80. Find another dealer or call Chrysler. Can I assume the dealer has attempted to force a regen and has determined the DPF is bad?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Show him the epa part and tell him he is wrong. Then call FCA and ask why the dealer doesn't honor their warranty.

·
Premium Member
2,187 Posts
He is wrong, should be covered.

Reactions: djr

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, they replaced some sensors, catalytic converter, def injection nozzle, did forced regen multiple times over multiple days, message comes back within a few miles. The "Coverages Report" that they printed says that the "LOP Coverage Result" is "not covered under warranty or service contract" for part described as "filter, particulate assembly-3.0 liter diesel engine". Maybe that software is from some third party that has it wrong and not actually from Chrysler?

·
Registered
272 Posts
NiceGuy, I ran into a similar problem on my '14 at about 50k miles. My filter and pump clogged up with DEF crystals. Seems like the dealer wanted $2500 to replace. I raised hell about having to pay that kind of money on a truck that was, at the time, less than two years old. They ended up pulling the pump and filter and cleaning the crystals out of it and charged me $250.

I looked at the emissions warranty--Federal law requires the complete system to be covered for 24k miles. FCA extends that to 36k miles but after that, you're on your own. My after-market warranty didn't cover it either.

Here's the link to my original post: http://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/...cussion/10688-p20e9-debacle-48-800-miles.html. Check out pages 3 and 4 on the warranty.

Dave

·
Registered
127 Posts
If the EPA insists on having this crap on vehicles that I own, let them pay for it. I will never shell out hard -earned funds to replace any emission control device. It gives me trouble, it will be removed.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
So I have a 2014 with 50k miles. The dealer wants to replace the Diesel Particulate Filter at my cost for $3800 saying that it's not covered under warranty. My truck says "Filter 100% Full See Dealer". Also, the electronic throttle control light is on. I have searched a lot (but you can't search for "DPF" because it's too short a word) and found where some email exchange between someone and the EPA occured, and the EPA claimed the DPF is required to be covered under the 8/80k mile warranty. Any updates on that? I don't know what to do.
Have you been running the GDE true ?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
NiceGuy, I ran into a similar problem on my '14 at about 50k miles. My filter and pump clogged up with DEF crystals. Seems like the dealer wanted $2500 to replace. I raised hell about having to pay that kind of money on a truck that was, at the time, less than two years old. They ended up pulling the pump and filter and cleaning the crystals out of it and charged me $250.

I looked at the emissions warranty--Federal law requires the complete system to be covered for 24k miles. FCA extends that to 36k miles but after that, you're on your own. My after-market warranty didn't cover it either.

Here's the link to my original post: http://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/...cussion/10688-p20e9-debacle-48-800-miles.html. Check out pages 3 and 4 on the warranty.

Dave
Here's the EPA letter:
Thank you for your inquiry regarding the federal emissions warranty. The Clean Air Act requires manufactures of light duty vehicles to warranty the emissions control system performance for 2 years or 24,000 miles and 8 years or 80,000 miles for specified major emissions control components which are: 1) the catalytic converter, 2) the electronic emissions control unit or computer (ECU), and 3) the onboard emissions diagnostic (OBD) device or computer. Additionally, manufactures are required to warranty any emission control or emission related component that fails to function or functions improperly because of a defect in materials or workmanship for 2 years or 24,000 miles (8 years or 80,000 miles for specified major emissions control components) under the emissions defect warranty.

The following web page provides more information regarding the federal emissions warranty requirements: www.epa.gov/obd/pubs/420f09048.pdf

Vehicle technology is constantly changing; therefore there may be emissions control components or emissions related components which do not appear on this list. The 2 years/24,000 mile federal emissions warranty still applies to these components. A more complete list can be found in your owner's manual/warranty booklet. The specified major emissions control components are specified in the Clean Air Act as: 1) the catalytic converter, 2) the electronic emissions control unit or computer (ECU), and 3) the onboard emissions diagnostic (OBD) device or computer. The diesel SCR catalytic converter, Diesel oxidation converter, and the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) are considered catalytic converters covered under the 8 year/80,000 mile warranty, however, the other components in the SCR system (e.g. exhaust sensors, DEF tank, valves, hoses, etc) are covered under the 2 year/24,000 mile warranties mentioned above.

I hope this information is helpful,

Joel Ball
Light-Duty Vehicle Group
Compliance Division
United States Environmental Protection Agency

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Looks like the dealer is correct.

What Are Specified Major Emission Control Components?
There are three specified major emission control components, covered for the first 8 years or
80,000 miles of vehicle use (whichever first occurs) on 1995 and newer vehicles:
• Catalytic converters
• The electronic emissions control unit or computer (ECU)
• The onboard emissions diagnostic device or computer (OBD)

Source: https://nepis.epa.gov/Exe/ZyPdf.cgi?Dockey=P100AU05.pdf

·
Registered
622 Posts
I read it differently. And I quote "The diesel SCR catalytic converter, Diesel oxidation converter, and the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) are considered catalytic converters covered under the 8 year/80,000 mile warranty" From that EPA letter. Tell the dealer you are moving the Kalifornia and it needs to pass emissions testing.

·
Premium Member
2,187 Posts
I read it the same as bunkeroil, and it's not the first time that we've seen that language in official form. I don't see how they can refuse to cover it...

Reactions: gawoods

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
DPF (Diesel particulate filter) is NOT a Catalytic converter ... This site has 1000s of times wrongly claim they are the same when in Fact they are NOT...its a loop hole in the law, when the law was passed DPF technology was unknown , If the law was written today I'm sure it would include DPF.

·
Registered
2014 Lonestar EcoDiesel 4X4
1,880 Posts
If you have your dealer print the VIP Summary Report for your vehicle, you will see the Warranty Information at the bottom of the page.
In that you will find the "Extended Federal Emissions" for 96 months or 80,000 miles.
That proves coverage. Now you have to school the dealer on what is covered.
The DPF is considered to be in the same category of components as a catalytic converter for warranty purposes by the EPA.
This post has the same information posted above, but a few more details.
http://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/...d-emissions-warranty-post71764.html#post71764
The whole thread is something every EcoDiesel owner should be familiar with, especially when talking about a $3,800 DPF.
http://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/...al-discussion/2328-ed-emissions-warranty.html

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Reading the letter from the EPA gives me hope that this guy is covered (he must have posted while I was searching and searching trying to find information on their site)

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
If his DPF is plugged I'm sure his plenum and EGR are just as FUBAR. Time to delete or bale.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts