RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
981 Posts
It's not the Dealer's decision to deny warranty work. Contact FCA directly if the Dealer won't on your behalf.......then go to a different dealer to have the work performed. Make sure the first Dealer knows that he lost out on the work.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Just to add here are 2 pics from truck that states clearly in FCA own words major components on Light Duty 1500 series (All Gas and Diesel) coverage is for 8yrs or 130,000km (80,000miles). I think the EPA is pretty clear that they deem the DPF in the same category as a catalytic converter. I sure would fight FCA on that basis.
IMG_2871.JPG IMG_2872.JPG

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
Someone posted only a part of the email that I had received from the EPA a year ago. They should have posted it in it's entirety as follows.

Thank you for your inquiry regarding the federal emissions warranty. The Clean Air Act requires manufactures of light duty vehicles to warranty the emissions control system performance for 2 years or
24,000 miles and 8 years or 80,000 miles for specified major emissions control components which are: 1) the catalytic converter, 2) the electronic emissions control unit or computer (ECU), and 3) the onboard emissions diagnostic (OBD) device or computer. Additionally, manufactures are required to warranty any emission control or emission related component that fails to function or functions improperly because of a defect in materials or workmanship for 2 years or 24,000 miles (8 years or 80,000 miles for specified major emissions control components) under the emissions defect warranty.

The following web page provides more information regarding the federal emissions warranty requirements: www.epa.gov/obd/pubs/420f09048.pdf

Vehicle technology is constantly changing; therefore there may be emissions control components or emissions related components which do not appear on this list. The 2 years/24,000 mile federal emissions warranty still applies to these components. A more complete list can be found in your owner's manual/warranty booklet. The specified major emissions control components are specified in the Clean Air Act as: 1) the catalytic converter, 2) the electronic emissions control unit or computer (ECU), and 3) the onboard emissions diagnostic (OBD) device or computer. The diesel SCR catalytic converter, Diesel oxidation converter, and the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) are considered catalytic converters covered under the 8
year/80,000 mile warranty,
however, the other components in the SCR system (e.g. exhaust sensors, DEF tank, valves, hoses, etc) are covered under the 2 year/24,000 mile warranties mentioned above.

I hope this information is helpful,

Joel Ball
Light-Duty Vehicle Group
Compliance Division
United States Environmental Protection Agency [email protected]

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
DPF (Diesel particulate filter) is NOT a Catalytic converter ... This site has 1000s of times wrongly claim they are the same when in Fact they are NOT...its a loop hole in the law, when the law was passed DPF technology was unknown , If the law was written today I'm sure it would include DPF.

TC, you are correct, the DPF is technically not a catalytic converter. However, the EPA considers it to be as far as the warranty goes.

Reactions: 97hmcs

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Just to keep everyone up to date, despite speaking with multiple people there, FCA is refusing to cover the diesel particulate filter and they insist it is a maintenance part - despite the EPA saying they consider it to be required to be covered under the federal emissions warranty required by law.

Apart from the emissions warranty argument, the idea is frankly frightening that a vehicle manufacturer could rationally consider any part a "maintenance item" that costs $4000 in parts and labor on a relatively new vehicle. The engine and transmission might as well be maintenance items in that case.

·
Registered
641 Posts
If I recall, there was another email from Joel Ball (EPA) floating around where he offered to "enlighten" FCA if the customer experienced any other "misunderstanding" from the FCA warranty dept. Perhaps its time to get Mr Ball involved?

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
Just to keep everyone up to date, despite speaking with multiple people there, FCA is refusing to cover the diesel particulate filter and they insist it is a maintenance part - despite the EPA saying they consider it to be required to be covered under the federal emissions warranty required by law.

Apart from the emissions warranty argument, the idea is frankly frightening that a vehicle manufacturer could rationally consider any part a "maintenance item" that costs $4000 in parts and labor on a relatively new vehicle. The engine and transmission might as well be maintenance items in that case.
It has been over a month since your first post.... I don't think that we are entirely up to date, as we don't know the current status of the truck. Is it still out of commission? If yes, then you should be talking to the EPA and not FCA.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I think if I ended up in this situation the offending pieces and related emissions equipment would be removed, and I would go with a GDE 'off-road' tune. And of course use my vehicle only "off-road". It would end up much cheaper...

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
I think if I ended up in this situation the offending pieces and related emissions equipment would be removed, and I would go with a GDE 'off-road' tune. And of course use my vehicle only "off-road". It would end up much cheaper...
Until they mandate diesel emission tests for all states, as they do here in CA.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just wanted to share that I (literally, 20 minutes ago) returned from the dealer with my DPF fixed under warranty! There is news around here somewhere that FCA's records are wrong regarding the emissions warranty. The DPF and related components are, in fact, covered under the 8 year/80,000 mile warranty! In fact, the warranty requires them to replace every gasket and every sensor associated with the DPF when the DPF fails. It took almost 2 weeks for them to get the parts in and repair it, but it didn't cost me a nickel.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I just wanted to share that I (literally, 20 minutes ago) returned from the dealer with my DPF fixed under warranty! There is news around here somewhere that FCA's records are wrong regarding the emissions warranty. The DPF and related components are, in fact, covered under the 8 year/80,000 mile warranty! In fact, the warranty requires them to replace every gasket and every sensor associated with the DPF when the DPF fails. It took almost 2 weeks for them to get the parts in and repair it, but it didn't cost me a nickel.
A win for the little guy.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Glad to hear it. Great news for you and every ED owner.

·
Registered
24 Posts
May we ask what dealership you used?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Right on, man. Glad they finally realized they needed to cover this.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So I have a 2014 with 50k miles. The dealer wants to replace the Diesel Particulate Filter at my cost for $3800 saying that it's not covered under warranty. My truck says "Filter 100% Full See Dealer". Also, the electronic throttle control light is on. I have searched a lot (but you can't search for "DPF" because it's too short a word) and found where some email exchange between someone and the EPA occured, and the EPA claimed the DPF is required to be covered under the 8/80k mile warranty. Any updates on that? I don't know what to do.
I

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2018 eco diesel with 120k and have a check engine light came on recently. No Regin warning. Dealer says dpf needs to be replaced for 4K. Had a throttle position issue repair a year ago but it then had an intermittent power issue that the tech could never detect with multiple test drives. Are they related? Is there a less costly option than replacing the dpf, cleaning it?

21 - 40 of 40 Posts