RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

41 - 60 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
883 Posts
I had the AEM installed back in May. As soon as I left the dealer, the "Reductant Pressure Too High" message and check engine light came on. We turned around and went back to the dealer. They told me that the DEF injector needed to be replaced, but the part was on a nationwide back-order. FCA paid for a 2019 Ram HD 2500 from Enterprise for as long as I needed it. The truck wasn't repaired for over 3 weeks, but they had it repaired before I hit the 30 days. I almost qualified for the buyback.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I had the AEM installed back in May. As soon as I left the dealer, the "Reductant Pressure Too High" message and check engine light came on. We turned around and went back to the dealer. They told me that the DEF injector needed to be replaced, but the part was on a nationwide back-order. FCA paid for a 2019 Ram HD 2500 from Enterprise for as long as I needed it. The truck wasn't repaired for over 3 weeks, but they had it repaired before I hit the 30 days. I almost qualified for the buyback.
There is still time...

·
Registered
481 Posts
Seems pretty unreasonable to me, Ram dealership won't take Ram on trade. My 2016 ED was an awesome truck and I still miss the way the motor drove and fuel economy. But not worth the hassle these emissions systems on that european engine not designed for it and FCA piss poor parts availability and customer service. What a mess up by FCA.

Hemi is being phased out for a straight 6 turbo gas apparently. Better get the last years of the Hemi, my guess is that straight 6 turbo will be trouble for a few years.

·
Registered
988 Posts
I have no idea why anyone would buy a 2020. I know its changed, but its the same damn name! A VM engine!

I say you earn respect.

·
Registered
883 Posts
I have no idea why anyone would buy a 2020. I know its changed, but its the same damn name! A VM engine!

I say you earn respect.
I wouldn't buy a 2020 without hearing some feedback from a variety of sources, but I'm hoping that someone like Vern can rack up the miles in a short period of time for some real-world data. I have a hunch that the gen. III is going to be a good engine with better emissions reliability. FCA is putting this engine in the Ram, Wrangler, Gladiator, and possibly a few more applications. I read that the 2022 Grand Wagoneer might get the Ecodiesel, too.

I'm going to buy something in 2020. I'm getting either a Wrangler Ecodiesel, or a Gladiator Ecodiesel, or a Ram Ecodiesel, or a Ram Cummins.

·
Registered
988 Posts
I hope they make everyone buying one sign the following form:
  • Always keep your fuel and DEF receipts. Buy from truckstops only.
  • Avoid short trips and idling. We don't cover clogged intake manifolds.
  • please check the box that shows you declined max care. Many emission components are not covered in the powertrain warranty.
I wonder how many would still buy one after signing that document? Jeep peeps are in town short haul folk.

I predict another train wreck.

·
Registered
883 Posts
I predict another train wreck.
Time will tell, but I agree that FCA has a lot to prove. If the new engine turns out to be a repeat of the 2014 - 2018 Ecodiesel, then it will be discontinued in short order.

·
Registered
45 Posts
How did that work, VW buying the vehicles back? Did they offer a flat rate or was it based on market value of each specific vehicle?
VW took care of customers, we had a Jetta TDI and they went back and pulled blue book values from before the issues were made public and gave owners that blue book value plus a settlement on top of the blue book value. I can't believe that some people didn't take advantage of the buybacks at the time, we ended up getting about $4k more than the actual value of the car, it was a no brainier. Ram on the other hand screwed people IMO, I had a 15 Laramie that had an engine failure at just over 60k miles due to know issues and there were 65 engines on back order at the time mine failed and this is how they took care of me.

1. They refused to give me a comparable loaner vehicle, even though I needed a truck for work they would only provide a car.
2. They couldn't tell me how long I would be without my truck.
3. I had a hard time finding a dealership that would even take the truck as a trade, the dealer it was towed to laughed at me because they had already had two others with engine failures. If it weren't for a great dealership I come across I doubt I would have been able to trade it.
4. I had an unused factory extended warranty and Chrysler refused a full refund on the warranty because I traded the truck before the warranty term had expired, even though I forced to trade it due to the engine failure and Ram's inability to provide me with a comparable loaner or even an time frame on how long I would be without my truck.

I have never said this before about a vehicle but my 15 Ram Eco was the biggest mistake I have ever made in a new vehicle and if it weren't for a great dealership who gave me full trade on my Ecodiesel with a bad engine for a new 2500 Cummins I would have taken a bath on the Ecodiesel. I feel a bit bad for that dealership because they sat on the truck for a year and couldn't sell it.

I am happy for the guys who have had good luck with them but at the same time I feel bad for them because dealers and the public in general just don't want to touch these things. There is no way I would purchase another Ecodiesel after mine and others experiences with them. Maybe another 4 or 5 years down the road after they have proven reliability with the newer ED but no chance in hell before then.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I would agree that buying an Ecodiesel was a mistake. I would not want another one, even the third gen.
Between the fact that it has tried to kill me three times (slight exaggeration, but still could have) and has now been at the dealership for a month, I am pretty well done with it. The only way I will continue to drive an FCA product is if they give me a 2500 with a Cummins.
I actually liked the truck, it drove nicely and got good fuel mileage. It was comfortable too. But it isn't designed for towing, no matter what FCA advertises.
I don't always tow, but when I do, I expect it to tow. Not struggle on slight hills with a moderate load.

And I am not angry about it, just matter of fact.

·
Registered
87 Posts
My wifes eco jeep smells like antifreeze everytime in the garage... she has close 45k on a 2015... my duramax has about 24980 (2012 with def as well) on it and no issues with short trips and no hauling... I am done with fca... her jeep had the death shifter, oil change spec that is top secret and engines that have bearing issues... also had the aem done as we get 4075 back... thanks for az getting us 1k, but still does nothing from the crappy value for everything fca screwed up... she likes it but her Pontiac g8 with a 6.0 was a much more reliable engine ever with the DOD lifters going out... I bet it is still on the road somewhere... the only thing fca got right was using a zf tranny since they cant make one to last on their own...

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
443 Posts
Just a side note.....I drive alot and just calculated my fuel savings over a Hemi during the last three years of 200,000kms has been $14,400 savings. Can't forget about that.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Time will tell, but I agree that FCA has a lot to prove. If the new engine turns out to be a repeat of the 2014 - 2018 Ecodiesel, then it will be discontinued in short order.
Something like 80% new parts on a engine series from a company that gave us the engine with 2-5% failure within 60,000 miles. Engine design now has extra EGR cooler, extra water lines, and extra exhaust pipe. If the second EGR goes bad or those water lines leak, will the truck cab have to come off for access and repair?

I like my Ram. But I think I would try the GMC diesel for a few reasons: Inline engine design with better access for repairs, GMC has better dealerships, out of all the people I know with a GM truck or SUV never a problem, parents owned a Silverado for 20 years without single issue (correction the passenger window track is now bad), Duramax 3.0 is a fresh new engine design from a American company. That said I would have to test drive the Hemi hybrid.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Somebody tell Vern before something bad happens!
Well, part of the issue is that I am spoiled from owning a Cummins, so there is that part of it. But thermal management is an issue on these engines. I can't imagine towing anything in the mountains, this truck would probably catch on fire. (Too soon?)

·
Registered
883 Posts
Well, part of the issue is that I am spoiled from owning a Cummins, so there is that part of it. But thermal management is an issue on these engines. I can't imagine towing anything in the mountains, this truck would probably catch on fire. (Too soon?)
I've had both, a Cummins and Ecodiesel. You can't compare the two. They serve two different purposes. The ride quality on the Ecodiesel is much better. The Cummins can tear a house of its foundation, but it also consumes more fuel. As for mountain towing, we tow our travel trailer in the mountains all the time. Both are great trucks.

·
Registered
12,651 Posts
I've had both, a Cummins and Ecodiesel. You can't compare the two. They serve two different purposes. The ride quality on the Ecodiesel is much better. The Cummins can tear a house of its foundation, but it also consumes more fuel. As for mountain towing, we tow our travel trailer in the mountains all the time. Both are great trucks.
So here I am telling people how much BETTER my 2019 Cummins 2500 rides that theEcodiesel. Guess I am nuts but it sure takes bumps and cruising with much less bump and bounce than my Ecodiesel did. Now my old Cummins from 2004 was a bit rough. Not even close to this 2019 one. When doing longer trips my new Cummins is oh so much more relaxing that you just feel much better at the end of the ride.

Sure fuel mileage sucks compared to the Ecodiesel. My current mileage not towing is now into the 20's. The power is a joke and the rpm's are way low compared to the Ecodiesle when towing. It tows with less shifting than the Ecodiesel did not towing. In fact, I don't think it ever shifts out of top gear. Just chugs along and pulls.

It is a different class of vehicle and comparisons are not really very valid. As soon as you get in town and want to park, you wish you had the 1500. I always hated urban life.

·
Registered
883 Posts
So here I am telling people how much BETTER my 2019 Cummins 2500 rides that theEcodiesel. Guess I am nuts but it sure takes bumps and cruising with much less bump and bounce than my Ecodiesel did.
It is true that the 2019 HD truck rides nice compared to the 2018 HD trucks. As for comparing them to the 1500, there are a few differences. For one, the HD trucks are riding on Load E tires, so that makes then ride a little rougher than the Passenger D rated tires on the 1500. The coil suspension (spring rate) is stiffer on the HD than the 1500. The difference is more pronounced on harsh roads.

I'm fortunate that I will own both (3500 and 1500), so I'm not torn between the two trucks. Both trucks are so different that it makes owning one of each practical.

·
Registered
12,651 Posts
It is true that the 2019 HD truck rides nice compared to the 2018 HD trucks. As for comparing them to the 1500, there are a few differences. For one, the HD trucks are riding on Load E tires, so that makes then ride a little rougher than the Passenger D rated tires on the 1500.
After about 70,000 miles of frustration with those P-rated tires I went to E rated ones. Kept the air pressure around 60 psi and actually thought they rode better than the P's. Now I did run the P's over their 44 lb rating. More like I ran then around 50 psi.

Running my current E rated tires around 68 psi. Seems to be super and they do not rise up much when hot. Low 70's is about the highest I have seen when running hard and hot towing.

41 - 60 of 122 Posts