RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

61 - 80 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
I've had both, a Cummins and Ecodiesel. You can't compare the two. They serve two different purposes. The ride quality on the Ecodiesel is much better. The Cummins can tear a house of its foundation, but it also consumes more fuel. As for mountain towing, we tow our travel trailer in the mountains all the time. Both are great trucks.

I don't know, my 2018 ED has struggled mightily through the "mountains" of Georgia and Alabama. I am pretty sure it would have died a terrible death in the Rockies.
The 1500 is a lot easier to drive on a daily basis, but every time I hook up a trailer to it...I wish I had a Cummins.

·
Registered
883 Posts
I don't know, my 2018 ED has struggled mightily through the "mountains" of Georgia and Alabama. I am pretty sure it would have died a terrible death in the Rockies.
The 1500 is a lot easier to drive on a daily basis, but every time I hook up a trailer to it...I wish I had a Cummins.
A Cummins will tow better, that's for sure. It really depends on how much weight you are towing. The Ecodiesel has its limits. How much does your trailer weigh?

·
Registered
127 Posts
A Cummins will tow better, that's for sure. It really depends on how much weight you are towing. The Ecodiesel has its limits. How much does your trailer weigh?
I have a 20' V nose cargo trailer, with a 7k rating. Even empty it drops my fuel economy to 11. On the flats the ED pulls it loaded just fine, but it has a lot of issues with moderate hills. Especially sustained ones.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I have a 20' V nose cargo trailer, with a 7k rating. Even empty it drops my fuel economy to 11. On the flats the ED pulls it loaded just fine, but it has a lot of issues with moderate hills. Especially sustained ones.
Cargo trailers are hell on mpg especially if they're not sitting level.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
883 Posts
My 2015 is rated somewhere around 7,300 lbs of maximum towing. Do you have 3.55 or 3.92 gears?

·
Registered
127 Posts
My 2015 is rated somewhere around 7,300 lbs of maximum towing. Do you have 3.55 or 3.92 gears?
3.92 gears. Crew cab, 5'7" bed. 4x4.
It sits pretty level when unloaded, have to use a smaller drop when loaded, but it still sags too much.
If I ever end up getting the truck back from the dealer, I plan on installing airbags.

·
Registered
883 Posts
3.92 gears. Crew cab, 5'7" bed. 4x4.
It sits pretty level when unloaded, have to use a smaller drop when loaded, but it still sags too much.
If I ever end up getting the truck back from the dealer, I plan on installing airbags.
Is your truck tuned or stock?

I would have to look it up, but I assume that your maximum tow capacity is somewhere around 8,400 lbs. And your 20' foot cargo trailer is 7,000 lbs (when fully loaded). The Ecodiesel should be able to tow it pretty easily except for steep long grades. Air bags, in my opinion, are a must for the Ecodiesel. The rear coil springs are great for ride quality, but they can't handle much of a load without air bags.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Interesting to note, during the previous mentioned conversation the GM asked me if FCA had ever offered buy back my vechicle. I responded, "No, but I had asked several times since my truck had missed lemon law cutoff by a few weeks." He seemed surprised and told me about a February training from FCA he had to take regarding the EDs. They were trained that owners would get $3000 cash OR a Buyback. When I informed him of the settlement terms, he went over the process of how any work on these vehicles needs to be preapproved from FCA and in his opinion is that they were rushed too soon to the market. I also realize, the GM could have been BS'ing me about some (or all) of this, but the above was our conversation.

The only reason I had to speak to the GM was because I had to bring my truck back in because the Air Suspension light came back on within days of getting it back after the compressor was replaced. I was understandably frustrated. After speaking to the Service Manager today, it was determined that an alignment and tire rotation from Firestone caused the steering wheel to be set off center that eventually caused the compressor to continuously run and burn up. Regardless, Firestone has agreed to pay the nearly $3000 dollar bill.
I would love to know just how a tire rotation or a wheel alignment would cause the air compressor to run continuously and burn up! The compressor only fills the air shocks nothing else and a misaligned steering wheel would not affect anything. There are pressure sensors on each shock that controls how much and where the air goes into the air suspension. Wheel alignment, steering wheel alignment or tire rotation/location has no effect on the air suspension.

As for the first part of your post, either you weren't listening correctly or the GM is a total incompetent lying POS! You said " He seemed surprised and told me about a February training from FCA he had to take regarding the EDs. They were trained that owners would get $3000 cash OR a Buyback." There was NEVER going to be a Buyback, ever, only the $3,075.00 pay out after the ECM was flashed and paper work was signed and notarized. Funny, the GM at the dealer I go to knew exactly how the Emissions recall and payout worked.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
So I have had my truck for almost 4 years think of getting Jeep GC SRT. I found one close by went and drove and started the process of doing a deal.

The dealer told me that because of the most recent recall, that all ECO's are on a do not sell list. That is total BS.

Anyone heard this carp too?
No FCA dealer or any dealer for that matter can sell ANY vehicle with an open safety recall on it! Since there are no parts available for the recall at this time the dealer would be forced the sit on the truck until the recall is complete. A large dealer may be willing to do that but not a small dealer. They pay interest on the truck all the time it sits on their lot. They can't even send it to an auction lot with an open safety recall. As someone else pointed out would you be willing the wait for the trade-in price until the recall is done? Nope you wouldn't so why do you think a dealer would buy a vehicle knowing they can not sell it. Drive the truck until the recall parts show up then trade it in.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Is your truck tuned or stock?

I would have to look it up, but I assume that your maximum tow capacity is somewhere around 8,400 lbs. And your 20' foot cargo trailer is 7,000 lbs (when fully loaded). The Ecodiesel should be able to tow it pretty easily except for steep long grades. Air bags, in my opinion, are a must for the Ecodiesel. The rear coil springs are great for ride quality, but they can't handle much of a load without air bags.
The truck is stock, other than an AFE intake and filter. I had been considering the GDE tune, but that ship has sailed. And with my truck being in the shop for the past month, due to the leaking EGR cooler, I doubt I will end up doing anything whatsoever to the truck.
I looked it up and it is somewhere in that range, yes. 8400 or 8500 pounds.
Honestly I don't tow that often, maybe once a month. So I figured that the increased mileage and comfort of the 1500 ED was a good trade off. I should have done more research though. I would have bought something else if I had known all of the issues these things have.
What's really crappy is that my wife and I have a Toyota Sienna in lemon law proceedings right now, and my truck meets lemon law requirements as well.

·
Registered
883 Posts

·
Registered
883 Posts
So I figured that the increased mileage and comfort of the 1500 ED was a good trade off. I should have done more research though. I would have bought something else if I had known all of the issues these things have.
We just turned 78,400 miles on our stock tuned Ecodiesel. We do a lot of towing with it. I would tune the Ecodiesel if we were going to keep it, but our plan is to trade sometime in the next 6 months or so.

·
Registered
127 Posts

·
Registered
883 Posts
I know that's available now, but I doubt I will end up keeping the truck. It is waiting on an EGR cooler and "other" parts. The dealer said possibly mid January, but no definitive date.
I had the EGR cooler replaced in June of 2018 with approximately 40,000 miles on the truck. We'll be towing the travel trailer over 2,000 miles during Christmas Break. I wouldn't be surprised if it starts leaking during the trip. I'm hoping the new EGR coolers get here soon.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I had the EGR cooler replaced in June of 2018 with approximately 40,000 miles on the truck. We'll be towing the travel trailer over 2,000 miles during Christmas Break. I wouldn't be surprised if it starts leaking during the trip. I'm hoping the new EGR coolers get here soon.
Mine was replaced at 30k. Now at 50k coolant level is still steady.

·
Registered
127 Posts
My truck only has 24k on it, haven't even had it a year yet.

·
Registered
988 Posts
No FCA dealer or any dealer for that matter can sell ANY vehicle with an open safety recall on it! Since there are no parts available for the recall at this time the dealer would be forced the sit on the truck until the recall is complete. A large dealer may be willing to do that but not a small dealer. They pay interest on the truck all the time it sits on their lot. They can't even send it to an auction lot with an open safety recall. As someone else pointed out would you be willing the wait for the trade-in price until the recall is done? Nope you wouldn't so why do you think a dealer would buy a vehicle knowing they can not sell it. Drive the truck until the recall parts show up then trade it in.
I dunno Perry. Mine just came in from Gillette. Filthy, I cleaned it up and took it to Car Max. 23k. They mentioned open recall as a concern but offer is open for 7 days. In fact, the diesel was a plus!!!

I did get all the atta boys for vehicle condition. Struggling what to do.

61 - 80 of 122 Posts