RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

81 - 100 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
883 Posts
I dunno Perry. Mine just came in from Gillette. Filthy, I cleaned it up and took it to Car Max. 23k. They mentioned open recall as a concern but offer is open for 7 days. In fact, the diesel was a plus!!!

I do get all the atta boys for vehicle condition. Struggling what to do.
HVAC, what year and mileage is on your Ecodiesel?

·
Registered
883 Posts
I was too. It was going through a quart per week, 250 miles of driving. They also had to clean or replace the intake manifold and have to clean some other "things".
They will probably have to clean the sludge (coolant mixing with soot) so it's not a fire hazard. Hopefully the new EGR will be a long lasting fix.

Do you think you'll trade/sell for a 1500 Hemi or Pentastar, or move up to a 2500 Cummins?

·
Registered
127 Posts
I am going to go the lemon law route. I will either have FCA replace it with a new 2500 Cummins, or hand me a check and I will shop for a used one. It depends on their offer and how reasonable they are.

·
Registered
883 Posts
I am going to go the lemon law route. I will either have FCA replace it with a new 2500 Cummins, or hand me a check and I will shop for a used one. It depends on their offer and how reasonable they are.
Sounds like a good plan to me.

I'm planning to trade for a Cummins, too. FYI, unlike the 2019, the 2020 HD trucks are coming standard with a 50 gallon fuel tank. So, that's what I'm waiting for.

·
Registered
988 Posts
23K is a pretty good deal coming from Car Max.
I was almost shocked they even wanted it. Man its running quiet and perfect. Wife says dump it. Fire scares women. B4 this she was all in to keep it.

·
Registered
883 Posts
I was almost shocked they even wanted it. Man its running quiet and perfect. Wife says dump it. Fire scares women. B4 this she was all in to keep it.
I wouldn't worry about a fire unless you know the EGR cooler is leaking internally. If that is the case, then don't drive it until it's repaired.

As I've mentioned before, I benefit from owning both trucks (1500 and 2500). I use the 1500 for the light duty applications and the 2500 Cummins for the heavy duty applications.

·
Registered
109 Posts
No FCA dealer or any dealer for that matter can sell ANY vehicle with an open safety recall on it! Since there are no parts available for the recall at this time the dealer would be forced the sit on the truck until the recall is complete. A large dealer may be willing to do that but not a small dealer. They pay interest on the truck all the time it sits on their lot. They can't even send it to an auction lot with an open safety recall. As someone else pointed out would you be willing the wait for the trade-in price until the recall is done? Nope you wouldn't so why do you think a dealer would buy a vehicle knowing they can not sell it. Drive the truck until the recall parts show up then trade it in.
Perry...
I was told by a "friend" in the car business that sometimes, manufacturers will reimburse stealerships for losses incurred ,visa-vi, a recalled vehicle that they are not able to sell because of issues like this. His understanding is that because the dealership is essentially holding said vehicle until fix is made or, parts made available, that they are entitled to reimbursement. The stealership carrying costs are mitigated along with repair costs at such time as repair is made. Never the less, if you or anyone else could speak to this, it might prove to be an interesting convo.
thanks,
D

·
Registered
988 Posts
From my experience in this situation Ram won't take it. Others will. Perry's wrong. Cap is correct, it can't be fixed. Its hopeless.

That being said the real issue is Ram and how they are treating customers. This entire train wreck, from day one has been a horrible consumer experience. Even those that tuned to make the thing reliable are now feeling that abandoned position.

It WAS a great effort of technology and performance. The end result however is one of frustration, inconvenience, FCA knew exactly the outcome. No parts, and now delays that were easily predictable are the end result. They don't care.

Spend some time on other discussion forums about this debacle. Real stories, women and men who only know tunes are music. Its amazing, vehicles out of service for months, repeatedly.

I can only hope RAM finds precious revenue hemmoraging, for many quarterly reports looking forward. Its the only way we, their customers can get some restitution. 3k was salt on an open wound.

·
Registered
12,651 Posts
Sounds like a good plan to me.

I'm planning to trade for a Cummins, too. FYI, unlike the 2019, the 2020 HD trucks are coming standard with a 50 gallon fuel tank. So, that's what I'm waiting for.
Think that is for long bed ones (8') and maybe 3500's.

Not sure as it is still rumor.

·
Registered
988 Posts
50 gallons would be a game changer. I'm in if it can be installed and not violate any warranties.

·
Registered
988 Posts
I broke a chain on our Andersen trying to crab the rig into a tight diesel pump along the Columbia river. Getting fuel is always a bit of anxiety, especially along the coast.

But I did learn the beast will tow the ATC with no assistance. Just dropped it on the ball, went over 900 miles like that. Minimally 1100lbs. She sat level, front end would bounce a bit more on big bumps. Could have never done that with the 1500.

Another thread on this. But the additional 900lb on the front end with the cummins over a 6.4l. I think a gasser would have been a different story. Lets take this to the 2500 section. Sorry

·
Registered
109 Posts
23K is a pretty good deal coming from Car Max.
I agree, seeing as I have gotten (2) quotes of $15,500 and $16000, from two different CDJR dealers towards a 2020 gasser. I am shocked that a MSRP $48K+ truck, 2015 Big Horn, 5 model years later is worth so little. Granted I have 109,000 mils on it but, geez louise.....:mad:

·
Registered
988 Posts
Look at the pricing on new ones. My msrp was 56700. Paid close to 45k

·
Registered
109 Posts
I agree, seeing as I have gotten (2) quotes of $15,500 and $16000, from two different CDJR dealers towards a 2020 gasser. I am shocked that a MSRP $48K+ truck, 2015 Big Horn, 5 model years later is worth so little. Granted I have 109,000 mils on it but, geez louise.....:mad:
update;......just had CarMax give me the max shaft............$14000, and "very happy to take it today"!!

·
Registered
988 Posts
Those numbers were the 2015 eco diesel,. The 2018 2500 was 60k msrp, 48k and 8/125 included.

81 - 100 of 122 Posts