RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went in for my second oil change yesterday. Of course, every service writer in the place was new. The dealership can't seem to hang on to anyone that knows anything.

Me: Please be sure to use the correct oil, Penzoil Euro L meeting the MS11106 spec per the manual. NOt the bulk oil, not the Cummings oil etc....
Service Writer: Yeah, got it. Full synthetic 5-30
Me: No not just your full synthetic it is the specific oil for this truck.
SW: Right - got it. I've go it looked up right here.
Me: OK, I'll be back. Please make sure that the tech doing the change lets it drain etc...

1.5 Hours later

SW: Here is the paperwork and the keys
Me: Goes to truck and checks oil level - it's OK. Look at the part number for the oil and check it against the part number used 1 year ago - totally different. Goes back into service area. "What oil did you use?"
SW: 5/30 full synthitic
Me: Can I see the bottles please?
SW: walks me out to the trash can in the express lane. Penzoil 5/30 NOT Euro L.
Me: This is the WRONG oil
SW: This is all we had.
Me: Goes out to truck and gets the spare quart of the correct oil (I bought from dealership a year ago) brings it back in and shows it to him.
SW: I am going to have to go to another dealership to get this.
Another customer with an ED shows up for an oil change.
Me: Make sure they use the right oil...
I leave and come back a couple hours later and they have installed the correct oil, I HOPE. I go to trash and there are the correct bottles out there but not enough for two oil changes. So either I have the wrong oil or the other guy has the wrong oil or his bottles were in a different trash can.

Next time I am going to make sure that I see the bottles in advance.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Boulder Mark That is why I change my own. :roll eyes:

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Boulder Mark That is why I change my own. :roll eyes:
Agreed. However the dealership owes me 3 more free oil changes. So until I use up those 3 I am going to have to suffer through the incompetence.

Reactions: RB33

·
Registered
165 Posts
Agreed. However the dealership owes me 3 more free oil changes. So until I use up those 3 I am going to have to suffer through the incompetence.
Why don't you ask them to give you oil and filter and do it yourself.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Wow, seeing your horror stories from your dealership makes me appreciate my dealership here in Québec,Canada...

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

·
Registered
279 Posts
Apparently Chrysler is telling us now we must leave the engines off for 13 mins after oil is changed so oil can flow to oil pan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,716 Posts
Sad.

I also had the free oil changes offered at purchase. Been past that and lucky my dealer figured it out early on.

Good idea to show the bottle to the service advisor BEFORE the oil change. Maybe even attach a bottle to the dash for the installer to see. I did that first time with a large stick-on note detailing the correct oil type.

·
Registered
2014 Lonestar EcoDiesel 4X4
1,864 Posts
It is pretty crappy that dealers can't get this right. It may be a factor in the rumored change in oil required for the EcoD by FCA.

·
Administrator
2,187 Posts
It's hard to believe that this still an issue.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Gotta copy of that memo MX? Forum will share it...
No memo yet, just brought to my attention by the Chrysler rep. If/when I see one I'll make sure it gets here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: BlueMerleBC

·
Registered
444 Posts
Why don't you ask them to give you oil and filter and do it yourself.
That's definitely what I would do. I'm sure they would be happy to oblige and save that labor that they're already getting paid for. Changing the oil is ridiculously easy on this truck; the only crappy part is that the materials are $150.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I got fed up of the incompetence I had to deal with when having the dealer do my oil changes. At the price they charge you would think they would do it right. Here is a synopsis of the 3 oil changes my truck has had so far

1) First oil change, draining the factory fill out. Tech did not let the truck drain properly, or drained the pan and put the plug back in before cracking the filter. Tech then put 10 bottles of oil in and the levels were way too high. I checked, took back to dealer, they were initially just going to drain the excess, but after some arguing they ended up draining all oil and replacing oil and filter.

2) Tech drained oil and replaced, level was correct but the filter obviously hadn't been replaced. I had marked the housing and it was pretty dusty. When I received the truck back it was still dusty and marked. Checked the invoice and the wrong filter was on the invoice. Told the dealership to replace the filter, they swore they had replaced it but "replaced it again" to satisfy me.

3) Bought Pennzoil Platinum Euro L and the Fram filter from Canadian Tire and did the change myself. If you want something done right you do it yourself.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I bought mine at Johnson's and still have two freebies left. They've been pretty good so far. Right oil both times and when I checked the first time, the tech gave me the bottle with the half quart left in it. Now if I could just get them to wipe up the puddle that collects in the lip below the filter, all would be good.

·
Super Moderator
3,327 Posts
I had the first 11 changes done at the dealership in Celina Oh. I verified the right oil the right amount charged $125 and most of the time I got a free wash once I got a free tire rotation and they always give a free inspection other fluid fill and inspect the brakes. Usually got he 1/2 quart also.

·
Registered
50 Posts
[quote name="u130747" post=164923]Why don't you ask them to give you oil and filter and do it yourself.[/QUOTE]<br />
<br />
That's definitely what I would do. I'm sure they would be happy to oblige and save that labor that they're already getting paid for. Changing the oil is ridiculously easy on this truck; the only crappy part is that the materials are $150.

It's gonna cost me $150 to change oil in my wife's ecodiesel?! I can change oil in my Cummins for $60. What make oil for an ecodiesel sooooo much more?

·
Registered
220 Posts
[quote name="u130747" post=164923]Why don't you ask them to give you oil and filter and do it yourself.
<br />
<br />

It's gonna cost me $150 to change oil in my wife's ecodiesel?! I can change oil in my Cummins for $60. What make oil for an ecodiesel sooooo much more?[/QUOTE]

Before changing check out the new oil specs. Now uses same oil as your Cummins. Filter from dealer is still high but some aftermarket ones out now.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts