RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I went into a local dealer to get a price and build my truck. I had already gone online to truecar.com and built the truck to get a rough idea of what I would be looking at. After building my ideal truck with all the extras, that I probably don't need, it came out to ~$52000msrp. True car listed incentives of anywhere from $5500-$9300 off msrp. It did "guarantee" at least $5500 off msrp if I went to one of the listed dealers. So that is where I went. After going through everything with the dealer and giving them my wish list, they proceeded to build my truck. When all was said and done they came back with the same truck at ~$57000 msrp. I gave them the build sheet from truecar.com and asked for an expination of the difference. Their expination is "prices change, so you'll just have to deal with that. We can honor the discounts up to $5500 off but that is all we can do. There is a high demand for these trucks so you will have to pay more if you want one." So I walked out the door anc told them that there are other dealers in town that want my business and my decision has changed, so you'll just have to deal with it. So I am heading to another dealer in the next few days. Hopefully with better results!

I can't stand when some of these places make a car/truck buying experience go this way.

·
Registered
274 Posts
PM sent to you man. DEALers can deal they just choose not to for what ever reason. They may be the only one local and think you aren't willing to travel for a deal or you want something so bad you'll pay whatever it costs. I always tell somebody you can make a little bit of money off of me or you can make no money off of me. Most of the time they make a little money off me if not I go to somebody that wants to make some money.

·
Registered
13,680 Posts
Ironic how sales people, using none of their money, want to tell you what to do with your money. The real good ones find a way to make you feel guilty you did not make a sacrifice for them.

Dealerships have little to lose and something to gain from each sale. Sad you have to use your time, expertise and expense to walk. Just don't go back.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm in the same boat and frustrated that there using the fact this is a new vehicle.they wanted 58000 on a LL so I walked.im looking for other dealers right now I heard about some good ones does anyone have a dealer that is offering incentives right now?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the pm LRC I will give your guy a call later today. The truck that I had built was a big horn with everything but a sunroof and leather. On the dodge website and truecar.com the msrp before incentives was $52000. Truecar had the target price around $42000 with everything I qualified for. With the incentives the dealer still had me above the ram and truecar msrp!
To add to the insult I plan on trading or selling my 09 1500. They tried to tell me that my truck is only worth $9000-$12000 because of the mileage. It is in perfect condition with only one dent and scratch where someone opened their door into me in a parking lot. KBB has trade for my truck at $15-$16k and upwards of $19k if I sell it myself. I will give them that the truck has more than average at over 110000.
Lesson is do not trust a guy that wears this many rings!
Doug.jpg

·
Registered
13,680 Posts
Just had to check this Truecar thing. Did. It's no big deal. What they do is try to get dealers to sell you the truck at invoice. Then they ALLUDE to incentives that may or may not be there. I ran their incentives through my situation and essentially came up with nothing. They want you to think you are going to get a grand off by paying cash but the incentive does not fit me. Then they do the same with financing where you pay thousands extra to get a thousand back. There is no attention to title, tax, dealer fees etc. That will add thousands onto the price.

I see no reasonable way to do it unless you get to the dealer and get the BOTTOM LINE. That would include all the shipping, taxes, title, transfer fees, paper fees, dealer fees etc. This stuff I read of $8,000 off or more means negotiated discounts of 15% or so. I can see it done when the factories offer end-of-the-year incentives to move vehicles out. Otherwise - no way.

·
Registered
274 Posts
What? Where do you live I have over $4,000 in rebates and incentives plus another 4-$5,000 that I talked them down from MSRP.

·
Registered
279 Posts
LC Where are you located? I was going to contact local dealers just to spec out a truck and get a feel for where they are at. I have to hold off until probably june at least, layoffs coming in 2-3 weeks. Like to get a baseline for what truck will cost the way I spec it out... then use that as a starting point. sounds like you did good LC congrats.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just got off the phone with a local auto broker. I feel like an idiot for ever going into the dealerships. Talk about a better experience! Chatted on the phone with the options that I wanted and he went to work. It took him a day or two to get me the quote, but that is because he dealt with all the local dealers himself and got the best price he could. With out any incentives so far I will be $4-$5k under all the other dealers. Best experience I have ever had with buying a car. He is even making the other dealers bid for trade on my current truck. He has already gotten them up several thousand more than I could! If any of you would like his number pm me.

·
Registered
13,680 Posts
Hope to see the "bottom line".

Now how does this broker make his money? Obviously he has to get paid for his work. It sounds like he worked long and hard. Must be worth $500 or so to do what he did if it took so long and was so involved. Do you pay him a commission or does it come from the selling dealer? Those are the only two places I can think of where he can get paid unless he has some kind of factory incentive deal.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I believe he gets his money on the sale of the truck. I know 3 people that have used him in the past. He saved my sister several thousand on a new Durango. He saved my grandmother nearly 8k over the other local dealers on a new Subaru Legacy. Really pleasant to work with. I believe he has the ability to jump in with the orders of some larger dealers bringing their order numbers up. He probably gets the vehicles at the dealers cost. I don't know for sure, I am just guessing. He deals primarily with used cars but he can also get new ones. I just know the three people that delt with him were more than happy.

This is his bolg www.showmecoolcars.com and this is his website http://www.jfrcarscolorado.com/newandusedcars.aspx?ClearAll=1&~

Now the next step for me is to convince the boss, my wife, that I can order the truck.

·
Registered
13,680 Posts
So that's real interesting. You buy the vehicle from him through a dealer. Another way to look at it would be he buys the vehicle, does not sign for it or pay the tax on any transfer. Then signs it off or sells it to you. guess you still get an "A" title and the warranty, if your name goes to the factory as the owner rather than his.

Sure would be great if you could get the deal he is getting on the original purchase. That would cut out the middle man.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I just got off the phone with a local auto broker. I feel like an idiot for ever going into the dealerships. Talk about a better experience! Chatted on the phone with the options that I wanted and he went to work. It took him a day or two to get me the quote, but that is because he dealt with all the local dealers himself and got the best price he could. With out any incentives so far I will be $4-$5k under all the other dealers. Best experience I have ever had with buying a car. He is even making the other dealers bid for trade on my current truck. He has already gotten them up several thousand more than I could! If any of you would like his number pm me.
Glad you found a buying method that works for you. I met a car broker a few years ago at a party. He specialized in hard-to-find vehicles but was willing to work with anyone who did not have the time or patience to hunt for themselves. I recall that he preferred working for a percentage but had flat rates for straightforward jobs like negotiating a new car purchase. It seemed like a great option for some people.

The auto sales scene has certainly changed since I last purchased a car. Besides brokers there are buying programs, dealers that specialize in out-of-state buyers, and other options. There is a ton of info on the internet now, plus the forums like this one where people talk about their experience. I'd hate to be a salesman today.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So I went into two additional dealers today to get a price on the new truck and trade estimate for my current truck. Jim's original offer still came in $1000 less then the best offer. His offer for trade on my truck was also several thousand more that the other dealers would offer. So looks like I am ordering myself an ecodiesel on Monday!

·
Registered
95 Posts
So I went into a local dealer to get a price and build my truck. I had already gone online to truecar.com and built the truck to get a rough idea of what I would be looking at. After building my ideal truck with all the extras, that I probably don't need, it came out to ~$52000msrp. True car listed incentives of anywhere from $5500-$9300 off msrp. It did "guarantee" at least $5500 off msrp if I went to one of the listed dealers. So that is where I went. After going through everything with the dealer and giving them my wish list, they proceeded to build my truck. When all was said and done they came back with the same truck at ~$57000 msrp. I gave them the build sheet from truecar.com and asked for an expination of the difference. Their expination is "prices change, so you'll just have to deal with that. We can honor the discounts up to $5500 off but that is all we can do. There is a high demand for these trucks so you will have to pay more if you want one." So I walked out the door anc told them that there are other dealers in town that want my business and my decision has changed, so you'll just have to deal with it. So I am heading to another dealer in the next few days. Hopefully with better results!

I can't stand when some of these places make a car/truck buying experience go this way.
Last week I spoke to a dealer that had a 1500 ED ordered for someone else and they decided not to go through with the purchase so I was turned onto the truck and I called the dealer...the GM of the dealership told me pretty much the same thing, they have a waiting list and they get pretty much what they want price wise because demand is so high. He did acknowledge that if it were any other truck that was sitting on the lot for a longer period of time he'd be more inclined to deal. So much for the TrueCar service....I'll also look at the Costco auto program. A friend who bought a Chevy PU through Costco and said he got a better deal through Costco when compared to the TrueCar program???

Also, my thought is if I special order a 1500 ED, all a dealer is doing is filling out paperwork...they may take possession for a day maybe two until I pickup the truck, how much does the dealer need to make for doing a half hour of work, I know exactly what I want, they don't need to pay a salesman, just sit down at the computer and complete my order. What am I missing unless they are limited by Ram on the allotment/deliveries they can take for the ED? Plus, my order boosts their monthly, quarterly and annual sales numbers which then gives them more back-end bucks from the manufacturer. So why do they have to gouge me on the prices. I see the same TrueCar numbers and the discounts are very substantial...$7-9k, which makes a big difference for the economics of buying a specific model like the ED over a gas version.

·
Registered
95 Posts
PM sent to you man. DEALers can deal they just choose not to for what ever reason. They may be the only one local and think you aren't willing to travel for a deal or you want something so bad you'll pay whatever it costs. I always tell somebody you can make a little bit of money off of me or you can make no money off of me. Most of the time they make a little money off me if not I go to somebody that wants to make some money.
Very good points, I feel the same way...I've been to dealerships where the salesman bragged he "he packed $10,000 in profit on a gentleman buying a car earlier in the day on a $30k msrp car" because he manipulated the interest rate/higher monthly payment on the lease...the buyer is paying more every month on the lease and the dealer gets money back from the financing institution.

A suggestion... don't get your financing from the dealer unless you have shopped at a credit union or unbiased institution and have an idea what a reasonable market rate is for buying a truck....the dealer can add fees or increase the financing interest rate or your lease payment and that makes them more money on the deal via a kickback from the financing bank or finance company!!! So while you may think you got a good deal on the price of the vehicle, they burned you on the financing and could make up the amount you thought you just saved via a financing kick back. It's really a dirty business. Auto dealers got a special exemption when there was consumer protection laws passed a few years back in the Dodd/Frank Consumer Protection legislation...I reviewed some of the legislation and don't believe that has been changed since. BEWARE!

I always tell the dealer I'm a cash buyer or that I've already got my financing lined up through my credit union, THEN I negotiate the prices of the car...when they guarantee me the vehicle price I will ask them what kind of financing they can offer...but I've already done my homework on whats available. AND I'm prepared to walk out if they change the deal.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts