RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought this would be a good spot to put our collective experiences with dealers, what is the one thing you would change?

Maybe some slimey sales tactics that they tried on you?
Good experiences, anything that can help people who are considering a new truck as well, would be welcome!

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
first dealer i spoke to, Hoblit in Woodland, CA, said only $1K off MSRP, no FFP (friends/family pricing) even though through my work (a very very large Fortune 50 company) has an affiliate program with dealers for FFP pricing... so then called Magnussen's (Auburn, CA) who offered FFP no questions asked and helped with doing my build. I've bought from them before ('11 Tundra) and they have been great at every step.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Here's mine, I went in to see about ordering my truck and the salesperson sent me to the guy in charge of orders. He puts all the specs in the computer then tells me the truck is ordered. I said wait a minute we haven't talked price yet, so he says I'll email you the price and the incentives will be determined at time of arrival. I got the price back which checked out to be a good deal not great. After incentives I should be looking at 8112 below msrp. I never signed anything or put a deposit down. I have a Von and full vin. Truck is to be delivered 5/19 week. Do you think I still have options ?

·
Registered
556 Posts
Bad Experience First.

Negotiated with Dealer (salesguy) via email. Had a good price and a range for my trade in. When I went onsite, the offer for the Trade was 2K below the range he offered. Reasons given - he would have to order the Truck, depreciation, etc. But -> HE KNEW THAT BEFORE I CAME IN.....so don't waste my time. I was straightfoward and upfront in everything - was a serious buyer, etc. If he had even been the least bit reasonable, I would have bought that day.

Second Bad Experience - different dealer (local to me).

Again was communicating via Email. I sent the salesguy my EXACT build, which had everything listed. Go onsite to see him, and he basically starts to argue with me on each option - why do you want that - you don't need that - why do you want that - there is a problem with that, etc. I know he wanted to sell me a Truck off the lot - but again - I WAS UPFRONT WITH WHAT I WANTED. The final straw - before he would give me a quote on the Truck I wanted - he wanted me to sign the Build Sheet - otherwise no price. You can figure out what I did......

Good Experience.

The dealership I did contact and buy from, responded quickly to email. I did not realize it, but I was dealing directly with the Sales Manager. He gave me a price - and a range for my Trade. I did get the 2 person on one tactic (Sales Manager and Salesguy) on the trade - they started at the low end, and I wanted the high end. But it was professional - and in the end we both settled on a deal neither one of us liked - which is usually the sign of a fair deal -:p.

I guess my biggest issues:

1) Don't waste my time. I know there are a lot of buyers out there with really unrealistic ideas (case in point - I had to wait for a guy that wanted to pay only $300 a month for a brand new truck - no downpayment, etc.) but I was upfront right from the beginning. Told all the dealers here is what I want (in writing), I am asking other dealers for quote, and here is what I have to trade. Don't say something to get me in - and then try to "Sell" me.

2) Don't lie - if you don't know - say so. If you can't match - say you can't.

3) The whole talk to a salesguy, who then has to go to the Sales Manager. And then when you do purchase, you now talk to a Finance Manager who wait for it - has other things they want to sell. The whole process is a joke, a waste of time, and annoying.

4) A dealer that truly understands they are not just competing against local dealers - but against the Internet. People can/will drive miles (Alaska to Idaho anyone) - so sell you vehicles like you know that.

Thanks for letting me vent - and I apologize for the Shouting....:eek:

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yop I agree! You are free to do as you like! I would negotiate further when you goto pick up the truck!

On a different note one thing I would change at the dealer is whenever you pick up your truck either for the first time or after service they always get the lot "kid" to wash your truck!! Always with the dirtiest water that leaves marks and I always find new scratches, to that point I now make it explicitly clear just do the service and leave the cleaning to me!!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Here's mine, I went in to see about ordering my truck and the salesperson sent me to the guy in charge of orders. He puts all the specs in the computer then tells me the truck is ordered. I said wait a minute we haven't talked price yet, so he says I'll email you the price and the incentives will be determined at time of arrival. I got the price back which checked out to be a good deal not great. After incentives I should be looking at 8112 below msrp. I never signed anything or put a deposit down. I have a Von and full vin. Truck is to be delivered 5/19 week. Do you think I still have options ?
When I ordered my truck I didn't have to put a deposit down. The stealer said that it's not distressed property and no need. Also, when ordering, we agreed upon price first, then I had him write the price on my copy and his copy. Its far easier to negotiate the price when the truck has just been ordered vs sitting on the lot.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Tupelo like you i will be conversing with various dealers my problem is i live in an area that has one stealership and would have to drive 100 of kilos to talk upfront would appreciate if you would pm me the dealer you were dealing with if its in toronto area i could fly there with porter fairly cheap as long as they are up front and honest. Thanks

·
Registered
641 Posts
1st my wife and i went to a local country dealership west of Ottawa and took a Diesel SLT out for a ride. I got a initial quote, which way to high for a vehicle grade i was not interested in. On the way home we stopped at another dealership who had a Laramie ED on the lot. The salesman could hardly be bothered to look up front his crossword, so i lasted about 30 seconds and said "see ya chum" .

I went home and did a couple weeks of home work online. I used web pages such as this one and read online reviews etc. I started using RAMtruck.ca to check dealership inventory across Ontario. I solicited input from friends who were RAM owners about the best local dealers etc. I was pretty sure the truck I wanted did not exist in Ontario, so I built my truck on paper and submitted a email "request for quote" to approx. 6 dealers, local and across Ontario. I stated exactly what i wanted, and mentioned I realized the vehicle would likely have to be ordered. I told them to email me if they had any questions/clarifications. I also stated in the email that that i would contact only the 3 dealerships who offered the lowest quotes. The lowest quote received was from a dealership approx. 600km away. The next lowest was from a local dealership across town. I told him he was $2000 too high, I asked him to add approx. $1000 in factory and dealer options and to to drop his price by a $1000. he agreed and i signed the papers that night April 30th.

Interesting the Capital Dodge (Kanata, Ont.) who are only a few km away from my house were the worst to deal with. They flat out lied, stating the diesels are not available yet (read: we don't have any, and i don't want you looking else ware for one). Repeatedly tried to get me to buy a hemi after I told him i currently them I currently have a 5.7 L Tundra that i love except for the fuel economy. Used famous sales tactics such as the lowest quotes provided to me were below there cost etc.etc....... Every other dealership were more or less professional to deal with except for Capital Dodge. It's too bad, they would have been convenient for service.

2014 Monochrome white Laramie ED 4x4 Crew cab with all the usual options should hopefully arrive mid June from Orleans Dodge/Chrysler.

BTW the Sales manager Jim Pears at Orleans was a total professional to deal with.

Cheers,

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Tupelo, that was my buddy matt, I assume you were waiting for I apologize on his behalf! (ontario cry) He did buy that truck though!

·
Registered
120 Posts
1st my wife and i went to a local country dealership west of Ottawa and took a Diesel SLT out for a ride. I got a initial quote, which way to high for a vehicle grade i was not interested in. On the way home we stopped at another dealership who had a Laramie ED on the lot. The salesman could hardly be bothered to look up front his crossword, so i lasted about 30 seconds and said "see ya chum" .
Crazy isn't it? I've had several dealers act this way... It's not like we are buying a kia, we are prepared to drop $35 - $60K (depending on trim level), and they act like they are doing us a favor. A little respect goes a long way. Glad I don't have to buy a new vehicle for several years.

·
Registered
556 Posts
THIS Post was for Bassman (In response). Forgot to hit reply with quote.:eek:

Not sure where you are in Ontario, but I drove about 100KM's to get my Deal. I bought from Pickering Chrysler. Also had a good experience at Ontario Chrysler.

My basic formula for purchasing -> find the Invoice price (I use Car Cost Canada) on the exact build I want. I then basically email any dealer that I can find online and tell them upfront - here is what I want - I have the invoice price, and the person that comes closet to what I want will get my business.

I usually find if you email 10 dealers - 3 to 4 will actually respond - I respond to the ones that actually give me a price. The only exception was Ontario Chrysler - sales lady wanted me to come in, which I did - I did not buy from them, but it was not a wasted trip. (Chris12559 can give you her contact info - PM him).

Once I figure out who I want to deal with I make my appointments - and go from there.

FYI - for Pickering I used their online email form - which appears to go to the Sales Manager - so all my negotiation was done with him, and not a salesguy.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Tupelo, that was my buddy matt, I assume you were waiting for I apologize on his behalf! (ontario cry) He did buy that truck though!
hahahahahahahaha...no it was not him. It was when I was at Pickering Chrysler. My salesguy could not get away, and apologized to me after. I met Matt at Ontario when I was in - it was funny - I saw his brochure, and he started talking about getting a Truck - and then mentioned his Buddy had sent him in - and I said is it "Chris". The look was priceless (how did you know).

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ya, he was going to wait a couple years but saw the deal I got and decided to jump in because of all the incentives, he actually is supposed to pick up his outdoorsman tomorrow

·
Registered
30 Posts
Experiences with dealers

I had many experiences between the two dealers I was thinking of purchasing the truck. I would like to share two. I had a 2005 Dodge Hemi SLT for trade. Dealer A was going to give me a trade of $10,000.00. They took it in their shop and said this, that and the other thing was wrong with it hense the trade value. Dealer B said they it is very rare where they see a truck in this good of shape. My trade in value there was $13,000.00.

The second one I would like to share deals with the prep you can purchase. This includes undercoating, seat, and paint pertection. Dealer A said the cost of the service would be $2000.00 but he would bring it down to $1200.00. He said there are other options at dealers but Mopar is the best and you pay for what you get. I went to dealer B to price out the truck and the same exact protection was $500.00. I went back to dealer A and shared my knowledge. They said that they would match the price.

One of my goals in buying a truck was to keep it local. Dealer A is 3 miles away and Dealer B is 60 miles. My final decision was based on the lying and distrust I gain while going through the process. Dealer B earned my business.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Lesson learned: check build sheet asap! After waiting 8 weeks fir a build date I find out the truck was ordered with wrong box and rearend... reorder! Build date of this weekend (17th).

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I went to 6 or so dealers, as there is a ton of dealers in the west end of toronto. 2 dealers where a little off msrp not enough to give a second thought. One in oakville did nothing but try and manipulate and lie about availability and that the diesel was going to be junk etc. I told the guy I don't need your opinion here's is what I want...

2 dealers were really good to work with peel and ontario. I ultimately went with ontario because quite simply they offered me the best price.

Of all the things I leaned from this experience (my first new truck buy) was come into the dealer and know EXACTLYY what you want, don't let them steer you at all or upsell etc., just be aggressive and watch out for the little misc charges they try to sneak in

·
Registered
32 Posts
I swear - manufacturers should shut down their dealerships and just do warranty service out of them. Sell everything on-line. The absolute worst part of buying a car/truck is dealing with the salespeople and dealership hassle.

Just last week, I called a small dealership, and immediately, the guy on the phone starts with the "are you ready to buy today" thing. I told him to chill out and just let me know if the truck I'm asking about is on the lot.

I then come into drive it, and afterwards, we sit down and he takes all my details.. phone, address, email, etc. He then asks me to sign the form. I say "what am I signing?"

He says - just a contract stating that you agree to buy this truck if we come to the right price.

I stood up and said I'm not signing anything.

So... immediately, these guys get off on the wrong foot and make the buying process difficult and make me question their trust.

·
Registered
13,687 Posts
Firkins in Bradenton, Fl. created a good deal for me. They always kept me informed. Took care of the truck and me on delivery. Always were fair and pleasant to be around.

After delivery I noticed a dent in the hood. Their service department fixed it gratis. They even gave me a rental car at no charge. Twice I have been there to ask questions about the truck. Both times it was a pleasant and informative experience.

Today, after stopping there for another question. The actually gave me a beer.

It doesn't get much better than that.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Tomball Dodge in Tomball, TX. They take REALLY good care of people. Owned by the Keating Family. (about 8 dealerships now I think) My family has been buying from this family for well over 40 years.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts