RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this is a long complicated situation but I’m going to try and keep it as brief as possible. I have a 2016 eco diesel with 177k ish miles. The camshaft position sensor went out. Took it to the dealership and told them just replace the tuning wheel while they were in there. They had it for three weeks. Finally called me and said hey your rear main seal is leaking a little bit too. I said **** it you’ve already got everything torn apart go ahead and replace it. They had it for a month and some change in total. I get a call saying it’s ready. I go pick it up. Drive a couple places local that day and go home. The next day I go to the office and then went to my dads house on the way home. I get a call from him saying there is oil all over his driveway. Go out and look under my truck and sure enough the undercarriage is covered. Called the dealership they said oh it’s residual. I said no way in hell. They told me to drive it up there, I said you better send a wrecker. They came and got it over a month ago now. After multiple phone calls and back and forth they finally called today and said it was the rear main seal job they did that failed and Chrysler is making them replace the engine. They’re saying it’s going to be another month at least before they get the engine in and replace it. I paid a little over 3K for the original job. What should I expect the warranty to look like and do y’all think I can get them to refund the 3K?

· Registered
2020 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel, Limited, 4x4, crew cab, air ride
115 Posts
Why in the heck are you asking a bunch of strangers on the internet??? This is all for your dealer to handle and if they say they are covering it, I don't understand the hangup.

· Premium Member
2016 Big Horn 4X4 Engine and Transmission tuned by no longer available (but truck runs good)
320 Posts
Welcome (y), it's even better than that you paid 3k for repairs, just replacing the tone ring would have most likely been a 1500 Job (or more) through a dealership, I'd be racking it up as a new engine for 1500 bucks, there is no other way you get that deal on a 177k truck, I would be a little aggravated about the down time but a new engine for what you're going to have in it sounds like you came out smelling like a rose to me:unsure:;)

· Registered
73 Posts
You can try to have it done at a different dealer but the dealer will fight you on that, they get paid by FCA for the warranty work and want that money. My advise find out who the tech was that screwed up your vehicle in the first place and make sure they aren't working on it this time around, their name should be on your previous ticket. I would request a meeting with the tech who would be doing the install as well to vet them, after all you've gone through they should be able to accomodate that.

· Registered
4,296 Posts
Your factory engine lasted 177,000 miles until the dealer screwed it up, then they are going to buy you a new one! That's about as good as it gets! You should be good for another 200,000+ miles as long as you avoid that particular dealer!

· Registered
1,822 Posts
Anyone ever verified if the replacement Gen 2 engines are being shipped with the new HPFP? With it being a safety/liability issue I don't think they could install the engine with the old pump and let you drive off with it.
The replacement HPFP hasn't been determined yet, lots of chatter some say expect a possible replacement fall of this year.

• Sad
Reactions: keiths487too

· Registered
1,822 Posts
Its been determined, parts just aren't out there yet... at least in the lower 48.
Outstanding! This is great information you can share with the the forum.

· Registered
2015 Laramie loaded
118 Posts
Just got my engine replaced and truck returned to me this Monday. Back to dealership today with a blown heater core. Now without truck for another couple or more weeks.

As for warranty: New and reman Chrysler engines are covered for 3 year/100K mile. I have the paperwork from the dealership confirming.

Good luck and should be a good deal for sure.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts