RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Anyone make something like GDE for Cummins?

I mean it's great to learn what you are saying. It's awful for you to deal with it. Somehow I was under the impression that the Cummins was near god-like in quality and operation. Then you take the capital "G" from that thought with your story.

I am interested in the outcome. Reminds me that man should, "never worship gods with feet of clay".
Capt. are you sipping on something?? maybe a little sniff of ever clear?? (yeah, I'm a little jealous)

·
Registered
12,801 Posts
It's obvious.

The closer you live to Disney's "Fantasyland", the more or less DEF a Cummins will consume. Simple and clear as that.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Capt..... My numbers are well documented along with a trip to the dealership to fix a non issue CEL , Now as to the comment about living close to Disney's Fantasy.....Well I believe Fantasy Land is your permanent residence, Just about everyone's memberships name relates to our love of ....Diesels, our living locations,occupations, favorite cars/ engines, ect.....

Now speaking of living in fantasy land your the only Re-Appearing....Swashbuckler... we have on the forum? Maybe you should prof-read your statements in regards to living in a ....FANTASY LAND ...then maybe you wouldn't look so ignorant, as usual....

·
Registered
12,801 Posts
So a guy says he's getting near 3 X the DEF mileage than you is NOT living in a Fantasyland? I think we are saying the same thing, only different. Unless deleted with a small leaking drip in the tank, getting 2,700 mpg on DEF is a fantasy, especially with a Cummins.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Capt ....I'm also getting right around 2700 mpg of def and else where around the country there getting in the neighborhood of 1800 mpg of def , It's all about combustion temperatures and Cummins programming and the cooling system and EGR efficiency of cooling the exhaust gases , cooler EGR exhaust gases less def fluid, less EGR gases getting recirculated thru the engine .

And I haven't had the opportunity to tow heavy for long distances yet , but everyone states their getting between 600-900 mpg of def fluid while towing due to the high combustion chamber temperatures, and the additional def fluid is required to combat the NOX gases. Now this is Cummins programming.

Now take the Eco Diesel a small engine ,small EGR cooler small cooling system, Why doesn't the Eco Diesel drink def fluid while pulling? Does the Eco Diesel have a different set of EPA rules than Cummins? Combustion temperatures should be extremely high , Now you pulled a trailer across the country correct?
Regardless of a tune , did your def consumption go down to 600mpg of def fluid?

If not I wonder if FCA put another cheating device in the tow plug to detect a trailer being pulled and it reprograms the ECU to avoid heavy def usage? I believe this is extremely likely , if there's not a dramatic increase in DEF fluid consumption,

But I'm just guessing......,:eek:

·
Registered
12,801 Posts
WOW!

That is beyond the believable. 2,700 miles per gallon of DEF! Did not know YOU were getting that. Thought it was some guy from #@$^.

While pulling that big new trailer across the state I watched those temperatures on the DPF reach full 1,000 degrees. Mostly it was in the 900's coming across I 4. Towing the smaller toy hauler would show temperatures in the 800* range with occasional moves into 900*. Those temperatures alone told me that trailer might be a bit much for the Ecodiesel. Thought I was having a regeneration during the entire town. My mind was uneasy pulling it and still is.

My DEF consumption towing that 6,500# loaded, smaller trailer was still probably close to 1,000 mpg. Fuel mileage dropped in 1/2 but DEF consumption did not double.

Spent the day working on that trailer and hooking up for practice and to lube the electric winch. Without bars it drops my rear a solid 3". Bars at their tightest and I still drop about 1/2 that. Two sets of bars but have only played with one. Thinking the lighter 500# set might work better if I move the ball higher in the receiver. On it's lowest position right now but perfect for the other trailer.

Decisions will be made on both that trailer and the truck as early as later this week.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Capt.... The truck has been a learning experience like the Eco was , and I'm trying to share my lessons learned , Good or Bad

I apologize for the harsh response, When I'm guessing or speculating I'll say so , But I've been keeping track of my def usage because it doesn't use hardly any . And I assumed you were mentioning living in Fantasy land to me , I try never to lie or BS unless I have to :rolleyes:

Now just speculating def usage towing heavy between ED vs Cummins, it doesn't seem to add up.

·
Administrator
4,550 Posts
Ok Haul N...between 11/12/16 and 4/10/17 Plan C ran 5409 miles and used 2.5 gallons DEF approx to fill on 4/10. That is 2,163 miles to a gallon DEF used...no towing and probably 90% highway use, and all cold weather...that's all I got and don't have a clue how that compares to everyone else.;)

41 - 49 of 49 Posts