RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over at the Jeep forum there was a lot of talk from people getting their Jeeps with low DEF fluid in the tanks. It should be full as part of the vehicle prep. I am going to insist that mine is full.
For those that have received their truck was your DEF tank full?

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
both tanks should be full. if not... don't sign the papers. for +$40k... they can afford to fill the tanks.

·
Registered
366 Posts
There's often fuel right on the bill of sale so watch for it because they love to charge you for that first tank. Not full price but there's a cost. The fuel I'm easy, because I'm really curious as to whether they use the same fuel tank as the Hemi, or if they addressed the "diesel foam" issue by moving the vent for the tank. I'm eager for that first fill! If they did not address it, you won't be able to "fill" the tank in 1 pump unless you pump slowly because the foam will trick the nozzle or maybe even come out the vent. Fuel will also expand quite a bit when it gets in the truck tank and warms up. I like to know that stuff right away, so I can begin a routine. The dealer I worked at didn't have a diesel tank on site but we went down the street and got it filled before delivery.

·
Premium Member
13,980 Posts
Look at this.

That was the gauge just an hour or so after it was delivered off the truck. I pick it up Friday morning and will be looking at that gauge on delivery.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I noticed a line item on the order sheet: Code YGE, 5 Additional Gallons of Gas, $17. I was told that Ram is pinching pennies and provides only 5 gal of fuel, beyond that it is on the dealer. Of course, I did my you're kidding! face and the sales manager said they would fill the tank. I didn't think to ask about the DEF tank at the time but will request that it be full, too.

thumb.jpg
You've got to be kidding, right?

Reactions: TC's 1500

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
I went for a test drive, and there was just over a 1/4 tank of DEF in it. I was like, damn, being cheap???

·
Registered
254 Posts
mine was the same way - 1/4 tank DEF but they did fill it with diesel. I asked the dealer if they were going to fill the DEF and they did without any further questions.

I topped my tank off the Sunday after picking it up - it took just over 6 gallons and the tank gauge read full at the first stop of the pump.

·
Registered
592 Posts
When I got my truck in 2002, the salesman had a limit on the company credit card for buying fuel even though the dealership had a pumping station on the back lot. It was the first time in 25-years of buying vehicles that I drove off the lot without a full tank of fuel.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Mine was about half full on my 2014 2500. I didn't think about it until I drove off the lot. This thread reminds me that I need to go pick some up today

·
Registered
177 Posts
Service Bulletin #25-006-13, subject: Diesel Exhaust Fluid. This bulletin applies to engine sales code EFX (EcoDiesel) among others. And I quote: "As indicated on the "New Vehicle Preparation Form," dealers are requested to fill the DEF tank just prior to delivering the vehicle to the owner." There you have it. I found this somewhere on the net, but can't remember where.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Thanks for the PDF.

Basically... it tells the dealer to fill the tank when the vehicle is sold.

SO... don't leave the dealership unless it's at 100% full.

·
Premium Member
13,980 Posts
Book says "one oil change", which is 10,000 miles per tank. I doubt that. Do know the new 2500 a guy I met had, drank the stuff. That Cummins only has a 5 1/2 gallon tank for DEF and his drank it all in about 4,500 miles the first time. Now he told me he tops it off about 3,000 miles.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Book says "one oil change", which is 10,000 miles per tank. I doubt that. Do know the new 2500 a guy I met had, drank the stuff. That Cummins only has a 5 1/2 gallon tank for DEF and his drank it all in about 4,500 miles the first time. Now he told me he tops it off about 3,000 miles.
So it'll cost about an extra $80-bucks (11-gallons) per oil change for the pee-juice?!?!? So much for the money you save with the better mileage!

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
So it'll cost about an extra $80-bucks (11-gallons) per oil change for the pee-juice?!?!? So much for the money you save with the better mileage!
In the ecodiesel... it's supposed to last 10,000 mi. If you buy it at the pump... it's $2 to $2.50 gal. SO... if it's working as it should... it will cost you $16 to $20 per oil change.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts