RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious by nature and just gotsta know..., My DEF tank appeared a bit low to me (wasn't even at the 3/4 mark but I gotsta try things out and know how stuff works. So after convincing my wife I had to stop and add DEF (I've been wanting, no dying to do it since I got the truck over a month ago) I pulled into the Love's truck stop around where the really big rigs are. I was toppin' cotton boys and as excited as a tick on a dog. After discovering I had to go in and pre-pay, I did so. I got back to begin pumping the DEF, but to no avail. All the pump would do was two to three cents at a time, I was click, click, click, clickety, click, click, click. Until an Angel (she had actually just taken the garbage out, but an Angel to me no less) appeared and said, "You need the magnet. Your truck's magnet must be broke. I will be right back." And off she went and returned with a blue and black magnet that slipped right over the DEF nozzle and like magic the DEF began to flow. All $6.63 worth of it and we touched the DEF in the tank with our finger she was so full. I gleefully thanked the lady and walked back inside with her to get my credit since I had pre-paid for $10.00. She was joking at me about having learned something new today and then she told me that I could purchase a DEF Magnet from Love's for $29.99.

So the question arises: Do our DEF tanks have the magnet in them to allow the DEF to flow freely from truck stops? If so, I gotsta get this fixed because mine wasn't working too well. Or do I need to purchase the DEF Magnet from Love's? Or do I simply mooch off of Love's each time I go there to top off the DEF? (That's what I told her I would do since I'd be coming there to get it anyway.) But I really want to know do our DEF tanks have the magnet in them to allow the DEF to flow freely from truck stops? This is completely new to me. But my enquiring mind searched the web and found this tonight:

DEF Magnet - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com

And I've probably answered my question from the website in that I would guess none of our trucks have magnets in them. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks!

·
Registered
391 Posts
might be a loves thing. ive filled up at pilot and flying j truck stops in our super duty with no issues.

·
Registered
579 Posts
My 2012 F250 had the issue of the pump cutting off 1-2 pennies at a time. After learning what the issue was I just got the wine box and did it myself.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Anyone ever think about grabbing one of those 5 gallon gerry cans and putting def in that, if you dont live close to one of those huge truck stops......they even make blue ones.....

·
Registered
438 Posts
Anyone ever think about grabbing one of those 5 gallon gerry cans and putting def in that, if you dont live close to one of those huge truck stops......they even make blue ones.....
I have a UN approved 5 Gallon head pack that I filled just incase I don't make it back to the DEF truck stop. It's stored in my cool basement so shelf life is not an issue.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Whatever you do, do not fuel up your truck at the big truck pumps. They have additional taxes in the form of "IFTA" which stands for International Fuel Tax Agreement which adds that cost per each gallon. Twenty cents here in Louisiana. Except for Oregon which doesn't participate in IFTA. Feel free to top off there.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Whatever you do, do not fuel up your truck at the big truck pumps. They have additional taxes in the form of "IFTA" which stands for International Fuel Tax Agreement which adds that cost per each gallon. Twenty cents here in Louisiana. Except for Oregon which doesn't participate in IFTA. Feel free to top off there.
It didn't add anything to my price here south of Atlanta or at the Marathon in Macon. Filled up my dad's F350 at a Pilot and it was the same 3.59 at the pump as was listed on the highway sign, QT at the same corner was still 3.64. Also was the same price at a Marathon truck center outside of Macon where we fill our work trucks when working for the college. Do they add it if you have a trucking fuel card when billed? Use a Wright Express card for work trucks as was the same price.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
I have fueled the Libby up when towing and always get the listed price. I actually use the Good Sam card and get 6c off the cash price.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Okay, some of you are missing what I was trying to get across. At places like the Flying J truck stops which have both big truck and auto diesel, there is a substantial difference in price because if you are in a big truck you are paying IFTA taxes which are included in the price of the fuel. By all means if the big truck pumps are cheaper then get your fuel there. However, it it highly unlikely because of the additional taxes.

Oh, and WalMart is having their 15 cents off if you have a WalMart credit card fuel sale right now.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Could someone explain to me why you would possibly need a magnet to fill up your DEF tank? I don't see how a magnet would make the DEF flow any better. The only thing I can think of is that there is something wrong with the nozzles at some DEF pumps and the magnet would help keep it open.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Could someone explain to me why you would possibly need a magnet to fill up your DEF tank? I don't see how a magnet would make the DEF flow any better. The only thing I can think of is that there is something wrong with the nozzles at some DEF pumps and the magnet would help keep it open.
Apparently, it is so that the dummy filling his DEF tank won't accidentally put the DEF nozzle in the diesel tank and fill the diesel tank by accident or stupidity or what have you. Therefore, some companies, like Love's, but not all of them have a built in dummy protector in that the DEF nozzle, once the magnet is placed over the nozzle end, will only fit in the DEF tank opening and not the diesel tank opening. The magnet on the end of the DEF nozzle activates the nozzle so that it flows freely. See the following link below.

DEF Magnet - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com

I hope this helps, as it was a new one to me Saturday night. Live and learn.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts