RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading and absorbing the posts on this site for nearly a year. I bought a 2015 ED Laramie with 50k kms in March 2019 and 2.5 weeks ago (at 83k kms) the CEL came one. Brought to dealer and was told DEF sensor failed, $3500 for part + labor. Not covered under warranty Minimum 1 week wait for part. I decided to go with a tune. I'm pretty sure this will work, but I'm looking for some reassurance.

I bought the HD Diesel tune with straight pipe and egr delete. Also bought their transmission tune. Once installed, will this solve my problem?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
5,744 Posts
I bought the HD Diesel tune with straight pipe and egr delete. Also bought their transmission tune. Once installed, will this solve my problem?
If you bought a tune and going to a straight pipe that eliminates the DPF and SCR you won't have problems with DEF anymore.
FYI: DEF is injected into the SCR which is down stream of the DPF to neutralize NOx in the exhaust gasses.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have been reading and absorbing the posts on this site for nearly a year. I bought a 2015 ED Laramie with 50k kms in March 2019 and 2.5 weeks ago (at 83k kms) the CEL came one. Brought to dealer and was told DEF sensor failed, $3500 for part + labor. Not covered under warranty Minimum 1 week wait for part. I decided to go with a tune. I'm pretty sure this will work, but I'm looking for some reassurance.

My 2015 GC did the same thing and the DEF gauge wasn't showing that I had added fluid. I didn't fix it but after a couple months it suddenly started working fine. Go figure.

I have had the AEM done.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Glimpse84 , your future .... no more DEF involved...
.. View attachment 84822
Can't wait. I drive 200kms a day and have been getting between 9-10 l/100kms on my daily commute through the mountains, with duratracs. Hoping the tune will squeak out something a little better. At $1.43/L for diesel, its adding up fast.

I decided on the gde tune a year ago but with the truck being parked, I had to go with a quality tune that would arrive in a timely manner.

Might as well get rid of the "bumper to bumper" extended warranty I bought with the truck. Didnt cover this nor the front parking sensor. Dealership wanted $500 to replace that as well.

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
you know you could have kept using the truck ,
there is workaround fir the countdown ,
it is a PITA , but the truck will start after the countdown .
---------------------
post # 15 by Pip in here ;

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
you know you could have kept using the truck ,
there is workaround fir the countdown ,
it is a PITA , but the truck will start after the countdown .
---------------------
post # 15 by Pip in here ;
Ha.. wish I knew this earlier. Been borrowing vehicles the past 2 weeks. I'll give it a try tonight.

Do you know if the truck will go into limp mode once it reaches 0? Or does it wait until next start?

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
No limp mode once you hit zero , a member here had to drive
a couple hundred miles to the dealer and he tried it ,
got to zero and kept going strong .
Just need to jump it everytime you start the truck.

·
Premium Member
2019 Ram 2500 Cummins - EX Ecodiesel owner.
14,505 Posts
Do a report on that HD Diesel tune and your installation. Many here will be curious and thank you.

·
Registered
2016 Laramie Limited Crew Cab 4x4 with Deleted Air Suspension and GDE Hot Tune. 262,000 KM.
2,114 Posts

When I experience further emissions heartburn I will be upgrading to the GDE offroad tune and full delete. It's just a matter of time. Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Do a report on that HD Diesel tune and your installation. Many here will be curious and thank you.
I'm getting the local performance shop to install it. Don't have proper tools/shop for straight pipe install. I'll create a new post titled HD Diesel Tune when I'm ready to report.

·
Registered
5 Posts

Got the same CEL several months back. Set up an appt. with dealer for a Monday. Previous Friday put some hot shot in the tank and ran it all weekend. Was getting CEL every start, didn't want to keep running with remote start. Got up Monday morning to drive to dealer and had no CEL. Dealer checked and acknowledged the previous CEL but stated that it was clear and no issues. Don't know that the Hot shot cleaned the sensor but, I use it periodically and have had no issues since. There is my previous post to the forum and you could research all the replies if you like. Good luck with your diesel.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Got the same CEL several months back. Set up an appt. with dealer for a Monday. Previous Friday put some hot shot in the tank and ran it all weekend. Was getting CEL every start, didn't want to keep running with remote start. Got up Monday morning to drive to dealer and had no CEL. Dealer checked and acknowledged the previous CEL but stated that it was clear and no issues. Don't know that the Hot shot cleaned the sensor but, I use it periodically and have had no issues since. There is my previous post to the forum and you could research all the replies if you like. Good luck with your diesel.
Hi: DOGRAH2... I too used the"Hot shot" and while running on that tank of fuel, used little to no DEF according to the gauge. Sure hope it cleaned the engine out as well!!!
Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts