RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Bringing old thread back:

My 2014 ED DEF gauge has been slowly going towards empty over the past year. I keep the tank full, but now I am getting a fill DEF tank warning and a no start warning in 1200 miles. The tank is full. dealer does not know whats wrong but suggests changing the DEF pump module with no guaranty it will resolve issue. They also said they could try re-flashing but no guaranty either.

Could it be the sensors?

Ideas? Suggestions?

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Could it be the sensors?
It could be the sensors. If so, you could try draining and flushing the tank. Some people have had success with filling with distilled water and letting it sit overnight. That will sometimes dissolve the buildup around the sensor. Based off videos I've seen, agitation is best. In that case, you can flush it with a hose for faster and more thorough cleaning. Once you're finished, refill with fresh DEF. I've been running Platinum DEF. I don't know if it will reduce deposits inside the tank, but it definitely helps reduce DEF injector clogging.

Make sure you clean the DEF injector, too. I had a clogged DEF injector replaced under warranty. Once I switched to Platinum, I haven't had any more problems. I'm at 105,000 miles on my 2015 and it's been trouble-free since running Platinum DEF. Coincidence? Maybe, but I'll keep using it as long as I have success with it.

Reactions: Fediej

·
Registered
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel Big Horn Granite Crystal 4x4 CC 6'4" box
972 Posts
If doing a drain, I would use hot water to do a partial fill of the tank as it should dissolve any buildup better than just cold water.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. Is the sensor integrated into the tank or is it a replaceable part?

I gave 81,500 miles on this truck and have had virtually no issues. I want it to be working right and am willing to change out the entire DEF tank if thats what it takes to resolve the issue.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. Is the sensor integrated into the tank or is it a replaceable part?
Integrated, which is why people recommend flushing the tank to dissolve buildup on the sensor. It is also recommended that you keep the tank fairly full so the sensors can stay covered at all times. This is a practice I've done since owning the truck and I haven't had any sensor issues thus far. My truck is over 7 years old.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Thanks. I have always kept it above 1/2 full. Do I need to drop the tank to flush it?

Mine is a 2014.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Thanks, I've watched that video. To flush would I then drain tank, fill with DI water, drive around to agitate and see if gauges starts working. If so, drain water and fill with DEF?

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Thanks, I've watched that video. To flush would I then drain tank, fill with DI water, drive around to agitate and see if gauges starts working. If so, drain water and fill with DEF?
Is your truck tuned or stock?

·
Registered
3,645 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
GDE tune for about 3 years and add DEF a 2-3 times a year as needed. I average about 10K miles/yr. 2014 with 81000 miles

·
Registered
133 Posts
Is there a recommended flush procedure or should I just have a go at it after draining DEF?

As I posted earlier, I want this issue resolved and do not want it to come back. I am willing to replace the entire tank assembly if needed. I can do the swap myself.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
GDE tune for about 3 years and add DEF a 2-3 times a year as needed. I average about 10K miles/yr. 2014 with 81000 miles
Since you have low DEF consumption, it's possible that you have some water evaporation which leaves your DEF out of spec. Good DEF should measure between 32% - 34%. It's possible that your urea concentration reads 35+%. This may lead to the sensor getting buildup on it. Distilled water helps dissolve those deposits, assuming that's your issue. Since you're GDE tuned, then you can drive around with the distilled water to help with the agitation process. I would drive the truck around a little bit then let it sit over night with the distilled water. The next day drain and refill with fresh DEF to see if it solves your issue. That's my recommendation, but someone else might give you better advice.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Update: I drained the DEF tank and put 2 gals of distilled water in it. I was needing to Home Depot so 15 mins after putting the water in the tank I got in and started the PU. To my great surprise, the warning light did not come on and the gauge started working. Thanks all for the feedback to my questions.

Would it be OK to leave the water in and just add a jug of DEF or should I drain the water first? Also with my low usage/mileage, how full or often should I add DEF to keep this from happing again?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
To my great surprise, the warning light did not come on and the gauge started working. Thanks all for the feedback to my questions.
Awesome!

Would it be OK to leave the water in and just add a jug of DEF or should I drain the water first? Also with my low usage/mileage, how full or often should I add DEF to keep this from happing again?
I would drain the distilled water and add fresh DEF. I personally only run Platinum DEF in my trucks, but you do what you think is best for your driving situation.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts