RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
That chart might be a little troubling for us that live in hot zones like I do in Az. It can be 104* in June and reach 120* easy in late July & August then go back down to 104* early Sept. How is this going to affect the DEF in the truck?

·
Registered
274 Posts
I've seen it sit for awhile in trucks with Arizona heat, much longer than that chart. After your initial fill just keep it at 1/4-1/2 a tank.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thanks LCR, but what am I supposed to do with the jug of the extra DEF, store it in my house? Not realy wanting to pay dealer cost every so often for a fill. This DEF is getting my goat (luckly not my Ram):cool: but I think I will search out someone with a 2010 or newer diesel to see how they are dealing with it. When I do I will post what I find out.

Reactions: bigtruck

·
Registered
274 Posts
It has an 8gallon tank that lasts 10K in "normal" driving. The light or service warning comes on when 2.5gallons remain. You buy one of the 2.5 gallon jugs and fill it up, you'll always have ~5gallons in the tank and you'll only be adding another 2.5 gallon jug every 3-4K miles. If you ask some of the HD guys about their DEF shelf life I doubt any of them would know what the hell youre talking about

All DEF is, is a 32% concentration of UREA (ammonia) in water. I have a 55gal drum at work for 2 of our Fords. The reason is doesn't last long is because the water evaporates leaving pure ammonia behind( notice 32* has an indefinite shelf life) there are nuggets on top of the drum where I spill some filling up a jug sometimes. I've dropped these nuggets in water before and they just dissolve so in essence if you really wanted, you could add some water and reconstitute the UERA in you tank during the summer. :cool:

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
They sell that stuff everywhere, I wouldn't even bother keeping any around.... goto any truck stop and they sell it, most of the time you can get it like a gas pump by the liter/gallon

·
Registered
735 Posts
I don’t know about that whole DEF malfunction = truck won’t start after xxx miles bit. I’m all for clean diesel, but that is a bit harsh. At least the HD trucks limit you to 5 MPH.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
The gov't made them set it up that way, so people wouldn't just let it run out and just keep driving. That would probably happen, let's be honest here!

·
Registered
735 Posts
The gov't made them set it up that way, so people wouldn't just let it run out and just keep driving. That would probably happen, let's be honest here!
True, but they could at least (after so many miles) let you limp it to the store/fuel stop for some DEF, or dealer in case of malfunction. They are just making more incentives for delete kits/tunes.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
For sure! As soon as they come out the a program to give me better fuel mileage and bypass the DEF. I'm all in

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
In ontario a brand new vehicle doesn't have to get checked for emissions for 7 years!! And even then I believe it's just a visual smoke check as of right now.

·
Registered
37 Posts
So back to what LCR said about adding water, I think may be viable way if that problem arises, so I think you would add distilled water if you were to try that and would need a spectra gage to get mix right.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I don't think I would do it to anything in the truck. Although they do have strips to test it like they do antifreeze.

In all honesty I wouldn't be worried about it. If I did become worried I just keep half a tank in there.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I understand what you guys are saying... but let's face it... when you get the warning... you have 500 mi left? That's about a tank of fuels worth of driving. Since you can get it at any truck stop, auto parts stores, or even Walmart... the chances of hitting the dead zone is minimal.

Look at it this way... if your fuel gage said empty in 30 miles... you wouldn't have an issue with stopping for fuel. (right?) So why is adding DEF an issue?

·
Registered
274 Posts
The first warning goes off at 2.5 gallons left which is about 3-4k miles. The final you're SOL warning is at 500 miles.

·
Registered
274 Posts
So basically run this first 8 gallon tank all the way through and to get the 500 mile warning. Put in (2) 2.5gal jugs that you find at walmart, autozone, etc. you will now have 5 gallons in the tank. Now the next warning will go off when you have 2.5 gallons left. When that warming happens you have two options put in a 1 gallon jug and you'll get another 1200 miles out of it before the 2.5 gallon warning goes off again. Or you put in a 2.5 gallon jug and you will now have another 5 gallons in the tank and get another 3 to 4000 miles out of it before the warning goes off again

·
Registered
274 Posts
Basically you never fill the tank you keep going to the 2.5gallon warning which is just under 1/4 tank

D

·
0 Posts
Thanks for posting this information online. I took delivery of my EcoDiesel SLT 4x4 yesterday and was charged an additional $100 for this DEF fill up by the dealer. I questioned the dealer about this surcharge as it was not reflected in my original sales contract. I was advised there was a charge to fill the DEF prior to delivery. Based on this Service Bulletin this DEF surcharge can be billed back to Chrysler to reimburse the dealer. I sent an email a few minutes ago to my sales person along with a copy of this Service Bulletin. It may just be an oversight on the part of sales staff, or it could be a way for dealers to earn additional money from both customers and Chrysler. I am awaiting a response from my sales guy and will post whether I have been reimbursed or not.

D

·
0 Posts
Just a quick update - after sending the email to advise the dealer of the DEF service bulletin, I was contacted within 30 minutes. My sales guy was very apologetic and appreciative of my having made him aware of this Service Bulletin. I was refunded the $100 surcharge. I was told the dealer is going to contact other customers who have taken delivery and they would be reimbursed as well.

Thanks again to the op for posting this Service Bulletin online.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Just a quick update - after sending the email to advise the dealer of the DEF service bulletin, I was contacted within 30 minutes. My sales guy was very apologetic and appreciative of my having made him aware of this Service Bulletin. I was refunded the $100 surcharge. I was told the dealer is going to contact other customers who have taken delivery and they would be reimbursed as well.

Thanks again to the op for posting this Service Bulletin online.
I'm glad to see you got your $$ back... but I would have fought tooth-and-nail with the dealer at pick up. $100 is absolute ROBERY !!!! DEF is only $2.50 at the pump, and there is 2 or 3 gal in the tank from the factory. SO... assuming 2 gal... they charged you for 6 gal of DEF. At that price.... that's $16.67 a gallon !!!! When you went back... you should have demanded a free oil change for you having to do their job. AND... I bet they knew about it. They just got another $100 from you, to pad the sale.

If they honestly didn't know... they shouldn't have charged you more than $15 for the DEF fill.

Reactions: shaker223
1 - 20 of 22 Posts