RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My DEF Gauge is still reading 1/2-full even after filling with 4-gal of DEF from a Pump at Flyin' J. My 2014 EcoD threw a P203E code, which I cleared with a scanner. I can't tell if the system is using DEF or not, but the CEL hasn't returned.

Do I risk any damage to the motor waiting to see if the CEL comes back?

·
Registered
13,810 Posts
Your story is not uncommon. Though most of us might have noticed a lag in the gauge showing near full after filling, time and a few miles usually fixes that. if not, nuts to it. PIA and expensive to fix the darn float whatever is not working. I would just refill every 8,000 miles and you will have no issues. Now if you had GDE you could refill with distilled water and even have fewer issues.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Your story is not uncommon. Though most of us might have noticed a lag in the gauge showing near full after filling, time and a few miles usually fixes that. if not, nuts to it. PIA and expensive to fix the darn float whatever is not working. I would just refill every 8,000 miles and you will have no issues. Now if you had GDE you could refill with distilled water and even have fewer issues.
That is definitely the direction I am heading. I've already spoken to the folks at GDE. I am hesitant to void any powertrain warranty I have left, about 25,000 miles, but I may do it anyway. I'd like to think a smoother running truck and no DEF for about $1,000 is better than replacing the danged tank for $2,400 and the tank may fritz again...

·
Registered
13,810 Posts
It's a miracle! Common sense prevails.

Seriously. Quieting the DEF system, turning off the EGR system and adding a multiple of drivability improvements is so significant it's like a "no-brainer" to make the change. The reasons people do not change are ignorance. People do not know about what GDE does and the trouble a stock Ecodiesel can have. Another reason is money. People are reluctant to spend good money on something while they seem to be getting by with no issues. Then, some are afraid to unbolt the old one and bolt the new unit in. Of course there are those that might have all those issues and cloak them into the statement that there warranty will be voided, even though it has never happened.

If the latter is the issue, read about ignorance. You have to know to know.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Or cap I don't want issues with warranty. And with the trucks past I should be able to make it through for the end then make the beast from within come out. Cause GDE IS coming, then it has an all expenses paid trip to Mexico planed. That will be a 1 way for all of it. Tank, DPF, injection and cat. And the nice thing is as long as I'm in show me state. She will pass.

·
Registered
758 Posts
I had a similar issue, started to notice that the guage was not moving the last 1/8 of a tank. When I filled it up I took 7-1/2 gallon and registered full. After about another 6000 miles the p203e code came on, I cleared it and it came on at about another 150 miles.

I drained the tank and removed it. Flushed it out with Hot water and put it and the pump back in.

It's been about 1500 miles and have no more issues.

I thought I read somewhere that the DEF sensor was an optical sensor and the computer only looked at it periodically.

If the system is still functioning and no change in the level I'd think that as long as you don't get that 200 mile to no start message you'd be good with a faulty guage.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hey Captain, I have GDE on my rig. I haven't noticed any difference in use of DEF after installing the GDE. So what are you saying here regarding water vs urea DEF using GDE?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had the same problem with my 2014. The DEF tank system had to be replaced. Truck was still under factory warranty but service tech said it's a $3000 replacement.

·
Registered
13,810 Posts
Hey Captain, I have GDE on my rig. I haven't noticed any difference in use of DEF after installing the GDE. So what are you saying here regarding water vs urea DEF using GDE?
The amount of DEF used after GDE is usually less than before. That was NOT an issue brought up that my comments were related to. Depending on the model year and GDE usage, operators can elect to replace their DEF solution with distilled water or, on some of the newer ones, just let the tank run dry. Mine is a '14. Think the 15's and maybe '16's are similar. You can just fill the tank with distilled water and all is fine.

On topics like this it is best to directly contact GDE for the exact information of your model year.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The amount of DEF used after GDE is usually less than before. That was NOT an issue brought up that my comments were related to. Depending on the model year and GDE usage, operators can elect to replace their DEF solution with distilled water or, on some of the newer ones, just let the tank run dry. Mine is a '14. Think the 15's and maybe '16's are similar. You can just fill the tank with distilled water and all is fine.

On topics like this it is best to directly contact GDE for the exact information of your model year.
Ordered the GDE Hot Tune with Regen Message this morning. I'm hoping I can have it installed by the weekend.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts