RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am new to posting but have been visiting for a while for info on my 2016 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel. Thanks for all the great content.

Anyway, I recently made a big mistake when filling my def tank. Someone had left a jug of def fluid in the shop that actually had used motor oil in it. It got mixed in with the others and was clean and looked fine at first glance. When filling the tank I happened to grab this one on the second dump and attempted to fill the tank. I immediately felt the viscosity difference and took it out. It's hard to say how much got in... I figured less than an ounce but worst case scenario could be up to a cup (I tried to pour it into an empty pale to see how much could have got in and it came out incredibly slow)

I figured only a tiny bit got in and filled the tank and moved on. Now the tank has reached the red and is nearly empty. Today he truck has warned of improper def fluid detected. I figure it took this long as the oil was more than likely floating on top but surely some contamination has occurred as well.

My immediate plan of action is to remove the skid plate and remove the pump to train the def tank. I will also flush with water. Then refill with new def.

I will need to bring it into a dealer to clear codes.

My question for you guys is... Will there be potentially more damage to the system and sensors? I know this will be hard to guess but if someone can educate me before I face the service department that would be a good start. I just want to be prepared for what's coming.

Thanks for your help in advance.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
4,418 Posts
try cleaning the tank out, there have been some members that have successfully cleaned their tanks but that was due to the tank level not registering.
The service department will probably sell you a new DEF tank/pump assembly.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.

That's the plan. I dont want to siphon because I want to drain and flush it several times from the lowest point .. I can't seem to find any info on the tank... I've read a few places that some tanks are serviceable and some are not.... Will I be able to remove the pump? Anyone have any info on this? Currently searching the forum.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
The pump just unbolts then pulls out but it well drain very slowly there are two 1/4 barbs for the pump, one for the feed and one for the return. Im not sure what the best way to get the oil out is but simply draining and refilling probably wont do it. Instead of taking it to a dealer invest in alpha obd and dongle like mx.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The pump just unbolts then pulls out but it well drain very slowly there are two 1/4 barbs for the pump, one for the feed and one for the return. Im not sure what the best way to get the oil out is but simply draining and refilling probably wont do it. Instead of taking it to a dealer invest in alpha obd and dongle like mx.
Thanks for the info..

I have no idea what you mean about the "alpha obd and dongle like MX"

How will that help here?

·
Super Moderator
4,418 Posts
I have no idea what you mean about the "alpha obd and dongle like MX"

How will that help here?
AlfaOBD is a program/app that you can make vehicle configuration changes, read/clear diagnostic codes, perform diagnostic test, read sensor values, etc. You can even force the vehicle to perform a regen(on road or stationary).
It's available for Android and the PC. The suggested OBD reader is the OBDLink MX or MX+

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
AlfaOBD is a program/app that you can make vehicle configuration changes, read/clear diagnostic codes, perform diagnostic test, read sensor values, etc. You can even force the vehicle to perform a regen(on road or stationary).
It's available for Android and the PC. The suggested OBD reader is the OBDLink MX or MX+
Oh, great. I'm going to look into that. I am using an obd II scanner right now with the torque app. Will this one allow me to access more?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
4,418 Posts
Oh, great. I'm going to look into that. I am using an obd II scanner right now with the torque app. Will this one allow me to access more?
Yes, a lot more. You might be able to use your current OBD dongle. The MX/MX+ one is recommended by the app developer. Other dongles work but some have had problems making some changes, the MX one has been the fix

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay so today I got the def tank off.... And it definitely drains slowly from the pump housing. Do any of the sensors or fitting come off? Does anyone know or to get a decent opening on this thing? This is ridiculous. I don't want to start tampering with stuff as I know how expensive than assembly is .

Hopefully someone can help here.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay so I ended up inserting a long rod into the fill hole to hold the flap open and poured out the content of the tank. All the def turned to a white creamy substance. It relief of sulfur. I'm going to spray in some light degreaser and flush the the with hot water several times. Hopefully with alphaobd I I'll be able to clear code am d move on. We will see. Here are photos of it I my shower:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I hope it's all okay after flushing and clearing the codes.
Me too... I'm wondering if the computer detected it before the sludge floating on top made it to the pump.... This way there will be none or very little that made it to the injector....

We will see.

There was about 2 gallons in there. And it was draining clear.

My thoughts are it was only water at the bottom. And everything else mixed with the oil and floated to the top.

Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
the hole in this video has no flaps ,

I removed a gollon couple years ago with a pump on the end of a drill .

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
the fill hose disconnects from the tank very easily. i'd just pop it off, drop the tank then start flushing w/ DISTILLED water until it's clean. not sure i'd want to use detergent, but dawn is probably ok.

·
Registered
4,759 Posts
I have no idea what pressure the DEF pump discharges at but there are people on here that do. If the DEF/old oil emulsion got into the DEF discharge line I find it hard to believe it will ever make it through the DEF injector. DEF is very fluid and given the small amount that is used I guess the nozzle must be very small. PErhaps you can take the DEF line off and flush it and determine if you see that emulsion at the nozzle or not. It seems to me the sooner you try and clean it all the way through to the nozzle the better off you are unless you can clearly see there was onlyDEF in the DEF discharge line from the tank to the nozzle.

Continued good luck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes, I have been thinking about that the whole time. Can someone point me to info on how to remove the line on the injector side. I took a peak at it and have never dealt with that type of connection before.

Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for all the help everyone. I was able to flush all lines and tanks. Everything is back together. Seems to be okay as it's not throwing new codes and the engine light is off.

I can't figure out for the life of me how to clear this message with alphaobd. Can someone please help? Photo attached.

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
some codes need a certain number of start cycles to stop displaying ,
even after the trigger reason is gone .
if it keeps showing , at the very worse it will give you the " truck will not start in XXX Km " .
hope for you it just goes away ...
2016 and newer have the DEF quality sensor in DEF tank ,
if a clump of your white stuff is stuck on sensor it would need to be washed off from DEF slushing around in the tank .
I see from your picture you filled up the tank , just monitor the situation ...

·
Administrator
8,677 Posts
Thanks for all the help everyone. I was able to flush all lines and tanks. Everything is back together. Seems to be okay as it's not throwing new codes and the engine light is off.

I can't figure out for the life of me how to clear this message with alphaobd. Can someone please help? Photo attached.
Sure is nice when a plan comes together so well.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts