RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I apologize if this is covered somewhere, but a search hasn't yielded an answer for me.
Tank capacity is 8 gallons. Upon delivery my truck was approx. 3/4 full and I am on the 1/4 full line now, but haven't yet got the 1000-mile warning.
I would like to completely fill without overfilling, aside from doing it at a truck stop (with overfill protection/shutoff) I would have to be very careful pouring the jugs in.
At which point is it safe to add 7.5 gallons (3x 2.5 jugs)? Maybe a few of you have done this at the 1/4 mark, or less...I'd like to know.

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
The countdown won't start until you are deep in to the red zone on the guage. Once there you can probably squeeze in three jugs. But even if you over fill the tank, a quick spray with the hose will wash away any spilled DEF. just make sure you have a cap in the fuel filler neck, and the DEF cap is on properly. Overfilling is only a problem in winter when the DEF inside the filler line could potentially freeze.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I apologize if this is covered somewhere, but a search hasn't yielded an answer for me.
Tank capacity is 8 gallons. Upon delivery my truck was approx. 3/4 full and I am on the 1/4 full line now, but haven't yet got the 1000-mile warning.
I would like to completely fill without overfilling, aside from doing it at a truck stop (with overfill protection/shutoff) I would have to be very careful pouring the jugs in.
At which point is it safe to add 7.5 gallons (3x 2.5 jugs)? Maybe a few of you have done this at the 1/4 mark, or less...I'd like to know.
For reference, I recently filled my DEF at my 20k service. My needle was reading about 1/8 full (halfway into the red). I purchased 3 of the 2.5 gal. containers of the Peak DEF from Wal Mart. I was able to fit 2 of the containers and probably 90% of the third container before I got a little overflow.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I'm of the impression this stuff is corrosive as hell so don't wish to overfill and rinse off. Sounds like 2 may do the trick at least get it filled most of the way while I'm hovering around 1/4 tank.
Wish there was an easy way to locate fill stations but at least buying your own you can verify it's the "FCA approved" ISO 22241 to avoid someone pointing the finger in a potential warranty claim...you could show them a receipt or empty jug of the fluids used.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
I understand my comments are not responsive to the OP's question but I sure don't see the point of working so hard to try and get 7.5 gallons in. I don't think you can reliably count onthe gauge for that. Seems to me, if you are not going to use an automatic fill pump and use jugs then when you get to a quarter or a bit less add 2 jugs worth and be happy. Or when you get to about half add one jug. On mine the top and bottom quarter of the gauge seem much larger than the middle two quarters but it seems that half is pretty close to half.

·
Super Moderator
4,070 Posts
Yeah I'm of the impression this stuff is corrosive as hell so don't wish to overfill and rinse off.
DEF is not that corrosive.
"Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) is not toxic, harmful or dangerous. In fact, of all the fluids used in a truck, such as diesel, engine oil, brake fluid, antifreeze and windscreen wash, DEF is the least hazardous. However, DEF is corrosive for some metals such as carbon steel, aluminum, copper and zinc, and DEF should not be stored in containers made of these materials. Your DEF supplier can advise you further.*ISO22241*provides a list of materials that are recommended and not recommended, but makes it clear that neither list is exhaustive."

More questions answered about DEF:
http://www.discoverdef.com/def-overview/faq/

·
Registered
4,121 Posts
The local farm stores have the best price on the 2.5gal jugs around here, about 7.50 for 2.5gal. Just add 2 jugs and call it good, or fill at a truck stop.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Howie thanks it wasn't a big deal, I understand this stuff does have a shelf life and I didn't want to buy 7.5, use 7 and have to store the extra .5 gallon or waste it.

Crash. Interesting they list brake fluid which is extremely corrosive to a painted surface.

Looks like a local place has a pump besides a truck stop I may go in there and check it out, if I can fill it at a pump place that would be easier. I just want a spec sheet of the fluid used for future reference, a "CYA" thing to keep in my very exhaustive list of vehicle records and receipts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Yeah I'm of the impression this stuff is corrosive as hell so don't wish to overfill and rinse off. Sounds like 2 may do the trick at least get it filled most of the way while I'm hovering around 1/4 tank.
Wish there was an easy way to locate fill stations but at least buying your own you can verify it's the "FCA approved" ISO 22241 to avoid someone pointing the finger in a potential warranty claim...you could show them a receipt or empty jug of the fluids used.

DEF is neither corrosive nor toxic. It is about 33% urea with water making up the balance of the mixture.

From Wikipedia: "It is a colorless, odorless solid, highly soluble in water, and practically non-toxic (...). Dissolved in water, it is neither acidic nor alkaline."

·
Registered
355 Posts
OK, slightly off topic but in other posts TC Diesel has posted that you should fill your DEF tank. Others post that you should keep it below the half way mark and add only the 2.5 gallons to keep it fresh. The latter is what my dealer (worthless) told me.

I am curious what people are thinking about this subject.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I fill my DEF tank when I get around to it. I'm GDE tuned, so the truck doesn't really care/monitor what's going on to any great extent. Prior to the tune, I did the same thing, filling it when it dropped into the red, and then drove 8-10k miles and filled it again. I pay about $2.70/gal from the truck stop.

Truck stop bulk DEF is the only way to go for me... But I pass 2 truck stops on my way to work.

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
My factory tank of DEF has lasted me to now, 10,200 miles. It is right on the line to go into the red. I plan to get two jugs and use them. It will probably bet me close to full. At that point I will have several more thousand miles before I need to add again.

·
Registered
475 Posts

·
Registered
1,701 Posts

·
Registered
1,099 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
DEF is not particularly corrosive. It is just urea and water. The same stuff you put on your lawn or garden. Urea usually the N source when you see the N-P-K listing on a bag of fertilizer.
Straight urea is 45-0-0 fertilizer. DEF is like 23 something percent urea I think.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts