RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to remove DEF tank, empty it, and refill DEF 1 gallon at a time in attempts to get my gauge working and clear code P203E. After talking 2 two different dealerships, my issue is cause by either crystals in my DEF which is solved by the method above or a new sensor is needed. The cleaning method is covered under no warranty. If I still have the issues after a draining and refill then the sensor is bad.One dealership says the sensor may be covered under emissions warranty and the other says only under bumper to bumper which is out.

My question is, has anyone done this? How do you disconnect the fill hose and the DEF fluid line. Any other suggestions before I get started?

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
You may want to try removing the pump from the bottom of the def tank and flush out the tank that way , just remove the skid plat from bottom of def tank you'll see wire harness just unplug and the def line just pinch clip and slid off , the def pump looks like 6 stainless star screws and should just slid down and that should give you a big opening to clean tank out , please take pics for the site and post them . Look on line at diagram for def tank for guidance from a part suppliers. Good luck !!!

·
Administrator
8,475 Posts
Will it kill grass? 8 gallons is a lot of fluid to run somewhere.
I'm pretty sure it will kill the grass unless you dilute it. Fertilizing with DEF (Diesel Exhaust Fluid) - aka Urea : Cool-season grasses

FICTION: Diesel Exhaust Fluid is toxic

FACT: The urea solution is not flammable, nor is it toxic. If you get it in contact with your eyes, wash the area thoroughly with soap and water. The solution is not listed by any USA or Canadian transportation authority as a hazardous material. Urea doesn’t become toxic at any temperature.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Will it kill grass? 8 gallons is a lot of fluid to run somewhere.
Can you just put it in jugs of some kind and pour it back into the tank when you are done?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Can you just put it in jugs of some kind and pour it back into the tank when you are done.
If I follow there method of removing pump and letting the UREA falls happen...there is know way I am catching all 8 gallons. I am going to attempt to syphon the tank first into buckets.

·
Registered
4,238 Posts
Urea is one of the most produced chemicals in use today. It is mostly used for fertilizer. More than 40% of the world's agriculture is fertilized with urea. So, diluting your DEF and watering your lawn with it should be just fine.
Additional uses for urea include the following.

Component of animal feed
Alternative to salt in deicing winter roads
Used in hair removing lotions like Nair or Veet
Ingredient in dish soap
Tooth whitening ingredient
Found in skin creams, hair conditioners, etc.
Found in cold compresses
Adding the brown color to pretzels
Glue
Dye
Flame-proofing
biofuel
melamine
other good stuff

·
Administrator
8,475 Posts
Once again, Gene just happened to have this information floating around in his head. I wonder if he remembers what he had for lunch today? :)

·
Registered
12,981 Posts
This is interesting. Let's get serious. I just thought it was pee in a water cup. Kind of like a urine sample you have to give at the doctors after a night of drinking. Now I find it's in my pretzels and toothpaste.

No wonder that stuff tastes funny.

Take some pictures when you take that "dump".

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Btw those 3 star head bolts do not remove the entire lower assembly. The remove the tiny pump. You can not empty it that way. Unless you have to pry that out and i was too nervous to do that.

·
Registered
4,238 Posts
Once again, Gene just happened to have this information floating around in his head. I wonder if he remembers what he had for lunch today? :)
That's why I'm so hungry.... I forgot to eat lunch.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well so far the gauge still reads 1/2 full. Even when it was bone dry. Had a friend reset the CEL light. We will see if it comes back on tomorrow. If so It is going to the dealership. Now the real debate...is the DEF level sensor covered under emissions warranty at 37k miles or not?

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
Before refilling the tank with DEF. Fill it with distilled or deionized water and let it sit 24 hours to dissolve crystals then drain it out completely. Add a half gallon of DEF then drain it out then close the system up and refill with DEF.

1 - 20 of 111 Posts