RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,
First post here....

2014 ecodiesel. Tank sensor has failed. I've located a tank assembly from a 2016. Tank looks identical. Pump and sensor look identical including connectors. Only difference is that the 2016 tank has an additional fitting with an electrical connector that is not mounted on wired to the 2014 model.
Dealer won't install because it isn't identical and part number does not jive.
Any reason that I can't install an ignore the unused connection?

·
Registered
812 Posts
The OP is from Canada. Extended warranty, nope. Cash for our vehicles, nope. The HUGE Shaft as usual for us north of the 49th. Yup. we don't even get the same base warranty.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Unfortunately that's the case. No coverage. To add insult to injury, the replacement tank retails through the dealer for$3050. At the time of failure, there was a backorder of 180 units in Canada. 120 of those vehicles were listed as out of service. The backlog has since cleared bot FCA still wont acknowledge that it's a product design failure. No recall.
I've got a tank from a 2016 that was sideswiped. The tank looks identical, the pump and connections look identical except the 2016 has an additional device with a four pin connector for a harness that is not present on my truck.
My gut feeling is that it will work fine but my service manager has me terrified that I'll screw up the computer??

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
One of our members, I believe sheepdog trail ? He found replacement new def tanks for around 800.00 I believe? Look around he has a very good thread with his experiences dealing with def tanks...

·
Premium Member
2,264 Posts
I didn't realize there was a problem with DEF tanks. What is the actual problem?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The level sensor failed. Its potted in epoxy and is not serviceable on it's own. Requires replacement of the "entire tank assembly". My "entire tank assembly"(2014) consists of the ABS tank and a pump/level sensor. The whole thing looks like it should cost $500, which is what the wrecker wants for the 2016 unit.

·
Premium Member
2,264 Posts
The level sensor failed. Its potted in epoxy and is not serviceable on it's own. Requires replacement of the "entire tank assembly". My "entire tank assembly"(2014) consists of the ABS tank and a pump/level sensor. The whole thing looks like it should cost $500, which is what the wrecker wants for the 2016 unit.
Wow, I didn't know that. About a year ago, I had my pump replaced under warranty, so I guess that means FCA replaced the entire tank, huh?

·
Premium Member
2,264 Posts
The pump is mounted in the bottom of the tank and can be replaced separately.
Thanks for clairfying. I remember the dealership having to remove the tank, but not replacing the tank.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That is true, to an extent. I should have been more precise. The pump, is removable. The problem is that the pump mounts into the level sensor assembly, which cannot be removed. Not in any conventional way at least. Its bonded directly to the ABS tank.
The pump and sensor units are exactly the same except that none of the numbers match.
The pin configuration is the same on both model years ( except the 16 has the extra assembly with a 4 pin connector)

·
Registered
613 Posts
@Bras d'Or I put a 2016 tank into my 2014 no problem. My level sensor was bad as well. I got mine from the Junk yard from 2016 model. I saved thousands of dollars going that route.

You could also consider going to a 2018 part which is a lot cheaper than the 2014 - 2017 units. All years of the tank appear the same to me. So I do not know why the 2018+ tanks are much cheaper.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Sheepdogtrail
I had just decided to ignore the skeptical service manager and go ahead with the 2014 tank. Thanks for the reassurance. I got what looks like a clean 2016 unit from the wrecker for 500 cdn. A damn site better than the 3050 the dealer quoted.
Fyi, I popped a hole in the top of my old tank to see what's inside. Cant see how the cost is justified...

·
Registered
812 Posts
Thanks Sheepdogtrail
I had just decided to ignore the skeptical service manager and go ahead with the 2014 tank. Thanks for the reassurance. I got what looks like a clean 2016 unit from the wrecker for 500 cdn. A damn site better than the 3050 the dealer quoted.
Fyi, I popped a hole in the top of my old tank to see what's inside. Cant see how the cost is justified...
The cost is justified to them as we are a captive audience. No one makes replacements other than them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
#metoo

My mech says they don't do DEF tank replacements because of software issues. But I haven't seen any of you talking about the need for flashing....

Anyone know if a 2014 Ram Eco needs to be flashed after a tank replacement?

·
Premium Member
2,264 Posts
I wonder what causes the level sensor to go bad? If we knew, there might be a way to help reduce the failure. For example, keeping the tank full might be better? It just seems odd that some are failing and others are not.

·
Registered
400 Posts
When I get my “exhaust fluid tank” replaced, I full intend on dismay that thing to see what makes it tick. I have tried just about everything in my bag of tricks to spoof the level sensor reading and nothing works. The weird thing is that the only thing that seems to change is the temperature reading and there isn’t even a wire called out for that on the wiring diagram. The only thing I can figure is they are using a serial buss or something way more complex than necessary to transmit a temperature and level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 ECOALDiesel
51 Posts
Just throwing it out there, I have a very low mileage (pulled at 39,000 kms) DEF Tank full assembly pulled off my mint 2015 EcoD. Its in 100% working order and was pulled after my Stage 2 Tune. I live in Gibsons, British Columbia and would be willing to ship anywhere in North America. I'd like to get $350.00 plus shipping and will throw in the DEF injector doseage module p/n 68232842AB that plugs into the exhaust section.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts