RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
I think I have one coming. I’m in Louisville, KY and I found one in Minnesota and they quoted me $200 for freight shipping . I found a slightly more expensive tank here in KY and shipping was quoted at $40-$50.

I can only imagine what shipping would cost coming from Canada. Your asking price is fair though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
@Bras d'Or I put a 2016 tank into my 2014 no problem. My level sensor was bad as well. I got mine from the Junk yard from 2016 model. I saved thousands of dollars going that route.

You could also consider going to a 2018 part which is a lot cheaper than the 2014 - 2017 units. All years of the tank appear the same to me. So I do not know why the 2018+ tanks are much cheaper.
Sheepdogtrail,you seem to be very knowledgeable about these darn DEF tanks. I have a question for you and others too if they are kind enough to help!
A few ounces of diesel fuel anti gel additive was mistakenly put in my DEF tank. I was told to remove it and dump it out. I did,and flushed it also. I then put 2 gallons of DEF fluid in. It shows to be half full which doesn’t seem right and I have a check engine light on now. It wasn’t ran while contaminated. I haven’t scanned it yet to see what code it has. Is it common to have a fault code after removing and reinstalling the tank?

·
Premium Member
2,275 Posts
I then put 2 gallons of DEF fluid in. It shows to be half full which doesn’t seem right
You do realize that the DEF tank capacity is somewhere around 8 gallons, right?

·
Registered
401 Posts
You need to check the code. If there was a fault with the DEF system, you’d probably have a message stating the engine won’t start in x miles or that it won’t start period and to see the dealer.

How did you drain and flush the tank? Did you remove it from the truck? All the ports have a check valve which makes doing a good flush challenging.

·
Registered
2021 Ram 2500 Tradesman Crew Cab 6.7 L Turbo Cummins 3.73
1,393 Posts
I wonder what causes the level sensor to go bad? If we knew, there might be a way to help reduce the failure. For example, keeping the tank full might be better? It just seems odd that some are failing and others are not.
Keeping the tank full is an interesting thought. I never have let my DEF level go below half of a tank, no problems so far. Usually it's over 2/3 of a tank.

·
Premium Member
2,275 Posts
Keeping the tank full is an interesting thought. I never have let my DEF level go below half of a tank, no problems so far. Usually it's over 2/3 of a tank.
I do the same. My dealer told me that the inside of these tanks can get crusty. I could be completely wrong, but from my understanding, DEF is more likely to form crystals when the fluid splashes and mixes with air. This is how tanks can get crusty and why DEF injectors eventually need to be replaced. Keeping the tank mostly full might minimize a crusty tank. I have no way to prove my theory, but I'm at 75,000 miles and no DEF tank problems.

Reactions: sourdo

·
Registered
14 Posts
You do realize that the DEF tank capacity is somewhere around 8 gallons, right?
Yes but I think that 2 gallons would indicate 1/4 full. Anyway,I don’t care if it’s calibrated exact as long as it works. I drained about 4 gallons out and replaced with 2 gallons and the gauge stayed the same.

·
Registered
14 Posts
You need to check the code. If there was a fault with the DEF system, you’d probably have a message stating the engine won’t start in x miles or that it won’t start period and to see the dealer.

How did you drain and flush the tank? Did you remove it from the truck? All the ports have a check valve which makes doing a good flush challenging.

·
Registered
14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
I did remove the tank and yes it is a challenge to drain because of check valves! I held a flapper open with a screwdriver to dump it out and sucked the remaining out with tubing. Have you had to do this also? Did you get a fault code after you reinstalled?

·
Registered
401 Posts
I did remove the tank and yes it is a challenge to drain because of check valves! I held a flapper open with a screwdriver to dump it out and sucked the remaining out with tubing. Have you had to do this also? Did you get a fault code after you reinstalled?
I replaced my tank this weekend. No codes before or after. There are a couple of special functions you are supposed to run. One for replacing the pump (which I did), one for a level reset after draining and filling the tank, and another to reset DEF offset or something.

My guess is your gage will fix itself after a number of miles or starts or after adding some more DEF... and unless you have AlfaOBD, pretty sure it will run the functions I mentioned above.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks for the information! I don’t know anything about the special functions that I should have done unfortunately. I don’t even know what version of OBD my 2016 ED has. I never heard of Alpha OBD. Do you think I can reset my check engine light? What kind of OBD scanner works good? Sorry to wear you out with so many questions!

·
Registered
401 Posts
I do the same. My dealer told me that the inside of these tanks can get crusty. I could be completely wrong, but from my understanding, DEF is more likely to form crystals when the fluid splashes and mixes with air. This is how tanks can get crusty and why DEF injectors eventually need to be replaced. Keeping the tank mostly full might minimize a crusty tank. I have no way to prove my theory, but I'm at 75,000 miles and no DEF tank problems.
DEF is 32% water. When exposed to air, the water will evaporate leaving crystals of urea behind. All of the connections to the DEF tank are checked, meaning there is no free exchange of air so once the air in the tank is saturated with moisture, the evaporation stops.

So while you are technically correct, I doubt it makes a difference how full you keep the tank because the same amount of air is being sucked into the tank as you use the DEF whether it is full or empty.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Thanks for the information! I don’t know anything about the special functions that I should have done unfortunately. I don’t even know what version of OBD my 2016 ED has. I never heard of Alpha OBD. Do you think I can reset my check engine light? What kind of OBD scanner works good? Sorry to wear you out with so many questions!
Assuming you have a windows laptop/tablet or an Android device, I’d recommend the AlfaOBD software and a compatible OBD interface. For about $150, you can unlock the kingdom of your truck. You’ll be able to do way more than any other consumer grade code reader.

Lots of info on here as well as YouTube on the features and capabilities of AlfaOBD. Well worth the money!

·
Registered
520 Posts
My 2 cents...

Someone makes the sensor. Find out what the part it. Saw off the sensor flush, drill it out, replace with new one and re-epoxy.

The price of these things is ridiculous...

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
401 Posts
I had enough time today to do a little surgery on my old DEF tank today.

Based on my experience with industrial control and automation, the level sensor does appear to be ultrasonic. It is located at the bottom of the cylinder in the lower left of the circular insert in the tank. The sensor is definitely not made into the tank itself, but a sub assembly that gets assembled to the tank. Not sure how that is done just yet. My first guess would be ultrasonic welding but need closer examination to know for sure. If it is ultrasonically welded, there is no chance that it could be removed without cutting which would make replacement of the insert challenging.

My intention is to further dissect the sensor, but that probably won’t happen until the new year.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had enough time today to do a little surgery on my old DEF tank today.

Based on my experience with industrial control and automation, the level sensor does appear to be ultrasonic. It is located at the bottom of the cylinder in the lower left of the circular insert in the tank. The sensor is definitely not made into the tank itself, but a sub assembly that gets assembled to the tank. Not sure how that is done just yet. My first guess would be ultrasonic welding but need closer examination to know for sure. If it is ultrasonically welded, there is no chance that it could be removed without cutting which would make replacement of the insert challenging.

My intention is to further dissect the sensor, but that probably won’t happen until the new year.

What year ED is that tank from? I would like to see what the outside top looks like. Was there a plastic piece on a vent that is removable? Thanks!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I replaced my tank this weekend. No codes before or after. There are a couple of special functions you are supposed to run. One for replacing the pump (which I did), one for a level reset after draining and filling the tank, and another to reset DEF offset or something.

My guess is your gage will fix itself after a number of miles or starts or after adding some more DEF... and unless you have AlfaOBD, pretty sure it will run the functions I mentioned above.

My check engine light did go out. All by itself. You were right! I have one more dumb question. Is there a plastic piece that goes on a vent I believe that is easily removed?
I think I remember my friend removing one when we were wrestling around the tank to dump it. I don’t remember if we reinstalled it for sure. He looked around and didn’t find one in his garage.

·
Registered
401 Posts
My check engine light did go out. All by itself. You were right! I have one more dumb question. Is there a plastic piece that goes on a vent I believe that is easily removed?
I think I remember my friend removing one when we were wrestling around the tank to dump it. I don’t remember if we reinstalled it for sure. He looked around and didn’t find one in his garage.
I think the piece you are referring to is on the lower of the 2 connections in the last pic I posted. Without that, I’d bet the tank is open to atmosphere and will let water evaporate out of the DEF and allow crystals to form. If you can’t find it, I can toss mine in an envelope and mail it to you.

21 - 40 of 64 Posts