RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read on a few different threads that guys that have their new trucks were concerned over how much DEF they used. Now that there is another week gone I was wondering if there is still concern? or do you think the usage will be close to what Ram states?

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I think it will vary a lot depending on conditions. It will be interesting to hear from the first owners, though. I was told by the Ram rep that most drivers will fall short of the 10,000-mile oil change interval before having to add DEF.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I have put 80 miles on my truck since this Monday and have not seen the needle on the DEF gauge move. Got a combined average of 26 MPG so far.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I just reached 1000 km on mine (since Monday). My DEF tank is at still > 7/8 so I'm guessing I'll get about 8000 -10000km per tank or about 5000 -60000 miles.

However, it is brand new and who knows what happens when it gets broken in.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I just reached 1000 km on mine (since Monday). My DEF tank is at still > 7/8 so I'm guessing I'll get about 8000 -10000km per tank or about 5000 -60000 miles.

However, it is brand new and who knows what happens when it gets broken in.
AND... who knows how accurate/linear the gauge is.

I think once I get my truck... I'm going to buy a 2.5gal jug, and put it in the bed. Then, just run the truck until I get the "Not going to restart" warning.

I had to do that with my old Toyota with fuel. It would get down to 1/8th mark... and I swear I could drive to school for 3 more days. Finally, on a trip home from riding dirt bikes... I had 5 gal in a jug... so I drove until it actually ran out. (Went 60 mi on the empty mark)

·
Registered
396 Posts
plenty of places to buy it at the pump around here. i'll just drive till its out and then see how much it takes to fill it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I am at 7200 miles and my EVIC just said that I have 200 more miles to add DEF or the engine will not restart.

·
Administrator
8,833 Posts
I have put 80 miles on my truck since this Monday and have not seen the needle on the DEF gauge move. Got a combined average of 26 MPG so far.
Good fuel average so far. DEF usage sounds normal since you probably used less than 10 ounces in 80 miles.

·
Registered
12 Posts
You will use much more DEF if you are towing. If you ever get caught out and run out don't shut the engine off. It will let you drive home on empty but won't start until def is added. That is what the salesman told me

·
Registered
803 Posts
When does the "will not start in 500mi" warning come on? I'm about 1/2 way into the red hash marks, and haven't seen a warning yet. I wanted to run it as low as possible, as I last filled up in July, and wanted to get all the old DEF out of the system.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hope this Helps
I Purchased and picked up my New ED July 22nd
I have 5,277 miles and put two units of the 2.5 gal blue def last weekend -
My gauge was just at the red line . never any message or low warning . I mean right at the line
I would say it is now ( this was last weekend ) between 3/4 and full after I finished putting in the 5 gals ( 2 units at 2.5 gal ea)
That is a total of 60 days ( Def added last Saturday )
Average of 88 miles per day
I drive at around 75 % highway but with New England -Boston Traffic and Grades

I am very happy with the usage and MPG's . I am around 26 to 27 MPG's

To me this is a non issue
At $ 12.95 per 2.5 Gal DEF unit, Just not even worth discussing in my eyes . But that's me .
That works out to $ 0.0049 cents per mile ( my average to date)
The MPG savings to date has paid for my DEF fluid for the next ( I am close here ) 6.67 years I own this truck

You have to all be kidding me talked about DEF usage .
Enjoy the Truck, the Diesel , and all the head turning when you pull up to the pump
ED forever!!!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Just an added note which I should have been more specific
When I said "just at the red line" I meant just starting to touch the red area on the DEF gauge

·
Registered
575 Posts
When does the "will not start in 500mi" warning come on? I'm about 1/2 way into the red hash marks, and haven't seen a warning yet. I wanted to run it as low as possible, as I last filled up in July, and wanted to get all the old DEF out of the system.
I would think you will get the message in the next 100 miles.

I got a second message today saying 430 miles to a no start. I get around 500 miles on a tank of fuel. So after filling up today I know I need to get to my dealer this week so they can fill it up.

I will have them do the oil at the same time and service any thing that needs it.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I have 2700 miles on my truck now and DEF gauge is between full and 3/4.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I have 7600KM's or about 4700 miles. DEF guage is still above 1/2 (just above now). Think I will be pretty close to what RAM expected. Wondering if the quality of Diesel being used impacts it as well?

·
Registered
115 Posts
I believe some guys determined that the quality of diesel does effect DEF usage.
Tractor Supply has DEF for much cheaper. Even cheaper than that is truck stops that have it at the pump.

Reactions: CB919

·
Registered
413 Posts
I have been threw about 10 gallons of DEF in 10,000 miles , so thats about 1 gallon every 1000 miles , it seem's to me that for the first 5000 miles or so it used more def then the second 5000 miles but it could be because I stooped watching it so much :)

·
Registered
165 Posts
Just turned 2,000 miles and DEF gauge is just below 3/4 full.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts