RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How can such a large corporation "lose" a truck?

So, like most here in this forum I ordered my truck early Feb when the orders opened up. I've been sold on this truck and the engine since Feb 2013 when it was announced and dug deep after all the delays because I honestly thought that this would be a good decision. The way Ram has handled the launch and most things related to this trucks release has been extremely sub-par but I think they're getting better. Anyways, ordered my truck, got told it'll be 6-8 weeks until I'll get my hands on it and I was ok with that because for the first time I actually had a window that was solid, I put my money down and I knew that the truck was going to be built for me and I'd be one happy owner when all was said and done.

For over 6 weeks my truck sat in "production scheduled" status. I kept my ear to the ground here and read about the delays so I figured it was just getting caught up in the delay but once it hit the 6 week mark I gave RAM a call and asked why my truck was sitting in first stage for so long, the lady on the other line told me she had no idea but she'd forward this onto her boss and see if something could be done about it. Voila! Next morning guess who's truck was getting the frame built? So, I was super giddy because I knew it was just a couple more weeks and this truck would be all mine and it would be worth the wait and the annoyance. I called my dealer a couple days ago since it had been a week or so since it had hit shipment and he tells me Tuesday April 8th is when it's showing up at the dealer and be ready to swing by and pick it up in the evening.

I barely slept last night because I was so excited that my truck was finally here and worked out with my boss that if I got the call from my dealer that I could leave and take care of it. It was almost 1p and no call and my sales guy told me that he would call me before noon because that's when their shipment of trucks get in. I called and my sales guy was busy with a customer so I asked for the manager since I had a rapport with him as well, got on the phone and asked him when I could swing by and pick up my baby and he had no idea what I was talking about. Told me that the system said it was delivered April 8th at 9pm in the future mind you...So, we both thought that someone had fat fingered it and it probably meant 9am but he put me on hold to look for my truck on the lot. Came back and told me he couldn't find it and he'd call me back after he called Kirby, TX where the distribution point was. Called me back and told me that Kirby hadn't even seen it come through yet and that it was definitely showing shipped on both their systems and it wasn't sitting in the Michigan plant either but at some auto yard but again the system said it's been shipped. So at this point my truck is MIA, nobody knows where it's at and I call the RAM number again just to see if maybe they can figure something out and that turned out to be the biggest waste of time because all she did was call the dealer and come back and tell me exactly what I knew and that was that nobody knows where my truck is and and that the delivery date is just an estimation and it can vary from a day to a couple of weeks and to keep in touch with my dealer and they would assist me. I asked if there was anyone else that I could talk to about this because I'd like to know where my truck is (at this point the irritability in my voice is very apparent) she tells me "keep in touch with my dealer and they would assist me" I told her that the dealer was trying but surely she had someone up at the top that could take a look at this "Sorry sir, but keep in touch with your dealer and they will assist you"

I ended the call before I took out my frustration and aggravation out on the wrong person but come on RAM! How can you possibly lose a truck and not keep any type of tracking on it. Now the delivery date is a big 'ol ? because no one really knows what's going on and I just got off the phone with the manager of the dealership and I will say the ONLY good thing about this whole experience has been the dealer and everyone that's been involved in this whole cluster. They've been communicative, honest and really open about every thing that I've asked about and if it wasn't for them I would've cancelled a long time ago but at this point if the truck isn't here at the end of the week I'm probably going to cancel my order and just wait another 3-4 months and get a 2015 because unless there's some sort of incentive for me to keep this model what's the point when the next years is probably going to be better and has the kinks worked out.

Sorry, had to vent and wanted some like minded individuals to vent too.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
It hurts to hear that kind of story. Extremely frustrating. :mad:

I think you answered your own question, "How can such a large corporation "lose" a truck?" It's a large corporation.

You'd think Ram would have a bulletproof tracking system when shipping such expensive trucks, but old systems take time to change.

Best of luck. Hope it shows up in great shape.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Hate to tell ya this bud but I would just relax and wait they will find it give em a few days, we are talking about 40-50K here they aren't gunna lose that, someone just fucked up on the chain.... also if u think it will be 3-4 months till u get you hands on a new one, think again....you would be looking at october at the earliest to physically get one... just sayin

·
Registered
279 Posts
Arm, your report is on the high end, but others have expressed a hell of a lot of frustration starting with Ram's piss poor communication on the delays, to the ordering, to the tracking. I would agree, hang in there a few days and see if they can find it.
There were 8000 trucks ordered in a 3 day period, and outside of that 3 days, there were likely many more trucks ordered. It's probably a mess for Ram too, but hold tight, I have a feeling they will find it. Marsman

·
Registered
735 Posts
Keep your chin up man. They will find it; you are closer to getting one than those of us who haven’t ordered yet. Although, once I do I’ll probably need to join the Ram 1500 EcoDiesel waiting room support group too!!

·
Registered
13,680 Posts
That's strange. Hope it's found.

if you are waiting for a 2015 model let me know what "kinks" are being worked out. Far as I know there haven't been any except losing your truck.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I'd be pissed off too. There is a governing body in each province in Canada but not sure about Texas. Find out, there should be some recourse where you can negotiate a settlement in the form of a discount. I would have been able to, but my grievances weren't solved with a simple discount.

·
Registered
396 Posts
did you check your von with spp on the other forum. he seems to know more about the location and status of our trucks than anybody else

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It hurts to hear that kind of story. Extremely frustrating. :mad:

I think you answered your own question, "How can such a large corporation "lose" a truck?" It's a large corporation.

You'd think Ram would have a bulletproof tracking system when shipping such expensive trucks, but old systems take time to change.

Best of luck. Hope it shows up in great shape.
I'm definitely cognizant of the logistics of moving thousands of vehicles and I understand that errors happen. Nothing is perfect but to tell me one system is saying it's in Michigan and another is telling me it's already been delivered? Come on now, there should be some sort of check to clear those type of things up.

Hate to tell ya this bud but I would just relax and wait they will find it give em a few days, we are talking about 40-50K here they aren't gunna lose that, someone just fucked up on the chain.... also if u think it will be 3-4 months till u get you hands on a new one, think again....you would be looking at october at the earliest to physically get one... just sayin
I'm much more relaxed after a good session in the gym and I know 3-4 months is early but I should be able to at least put in my order in July for 2015 right? By that time I think they'd have all these shipping and building issues ironed out.

Arm, your report is on the high end, but others have expressed a hell of a lot of frustration starting with Ram's piss poor communication on the delays, to the ordering, to the tracking. I would agree, hang in there a few days and see if they can find it.
There were 8000 trucks ordered in a 3 day period, and outside of that 3 days, there were likely many more trucks ordered. It's probably a mess for Ram too, but hold tight, I have a feeling they will find it. Marsman
I hope so too man, I hope so...

Keep your chin up man. They will find it; you are closer to getting one than those of us who haven’t ordered yet. Although, once I do I’ll probably need to join the Ram 1500 EcoDiesel waiting room support group too!!
Haha, hopefully by then they'll have figured out all these issues and you won't have to go through what the early adopters had to. That's what I'm hoping for you at least.

That's strange. Hope it's found.

if you are waiting for a 2015 model let me know what "kinks" are being worked out. Far as I know there haven't been any except losing your truck.
Well, by kinks I mean all these shipping and building delays and hopefully by the next years model they'll have a better system set up. It seemed like throughout this entire process that RAM was a new brand and this truck was the first time they had released a model.

I'd be pissed off too. There is a governing body in each province in Canada but not sure about Texas. Find out, there should be some recourse where you can negotiate a settlement in the form of a discount. I would have been able to, but my grievances weren't solved with a simple discount.
The dealer is already giving me a killer deal on this truck but I did mention to the manager today about incentives...We'll see, I have to get the truck first before I talk money!

did you check your von with spp on the other forum. he seems to know more about the location and status of our trucks than anybody else
What other forum would that be?

·
Registered
230 Posts
I'm definitely cognizant of the logistics of moving thousands of vehicles and I understand that errors happen. Nothing is perfect but to tell me one system is saying it's in Michigan and another is telling me it's already been delivered? Come on now, there should be some sort of check to clear those type of things up.

I'm much more relaxed after a good session in the gym and I know 3-4 months is early but I should be able to at least put in my order in July for 2015 right? By that time I think they'd have all these shipping and building issues ironed out.

I hope so too man, I hope so...

Haha, hopefully by then they'll have figured out all these issues and you won't have to go through what the early adopters had to. That's what I'm hoping for you at least.

Well, by kinks I mean all these shipping and building delays and hopefully by the next years model they'll have a better system set up. It seemed like throughout this entire process that RAM was a new brand and this truck was the first time they had released a model.

The dealer is already giving me a killer deal on this truck but I did mention to the manager today about incentives...We'll see, I have to get the truck first before I talk money!

What other forum would that be?
Ramforumz

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk

·
Registered
698 Posts
Something to think about, once your truck is put on a rail auto carrier it is out of Chrysler's hands so to speak. It is possible that it was put on the wrong auto carrier where someone screwed up and went somewhere else. It is also possible the rail car had a problem and had a "bad order" tag put on it and can't be moved and is stuck in a siding somewhere til it can be fixed. I am pretty sure Chrysler uses an estimated transportation and doesn't clock every time the train stops or has a problem.

Just saying the railroad may be the problem here, or it may be a total screwup on Chrysler's end, we will never know.

I once ordered an item from a company in LA, I am in Sacramento. Well the part went to the east coast and traveled up and down the east for a week, then went to Iowa and from there disappeared forever.

Hopefully your truck shows up soon.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Don't get to stressed the last F-150 I ordered was lost for a month and no one knew where it was either! I guess it happens. I am still waiting for mine , it has been sitting waiting to ship for close to two weeks so I'm holding my breath.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Have you talked to the DodgeCares group?

edit: 800-423-6343

·
Registered
290 Posts
I posted before about a Facebook page called Chrysler Communications. It took me hammering those idiots about how I had to get someone from General Motors to locate my truck seeing that Chrysler can't. I posted it on Friday and Monday I got a call from a Chrysler rep. who knew where my truck was.

·
Registered
177 Posts
It took 33 days for my truck to go from Warren, Michigan assembly plant to Kalamazoo, Michigan area dealership.... about 200 miles.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
By all accounts shipping is still backed up many days. Nothing much Ram can do about that unless they start building rail cars, truck carriers, railways and transfer stations. It just brings home how our nation's transport system is lacking.

Actually, there is a little something Ram could do to relieve pressure. Some brands have a factory pickup option. Some of us would certainly take advantage of that.

On a side note, I visited the dealership yesterday to have my car serviced (they sell multiple brands) and a senior salesmen looked up my Ram on their computer. It showed the history of the order including shipping status down to where the rail car was located. So, I know they can provide that info. How accurate it might be is another question, of course.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I wasn't sure if we were aloud to post other forums info.
Go to ramforumz and go to 2014 .top sticky is where is my truck. Give support your Von and he gives daily updates on status.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I wasn't sure if we were aloud to post other forums info.
Go to ramforumz and go to 2014 .top sticky is where is my truck. Give support your Von and he gives daily updates on status.
The guy who does that said he has the same info available to the dealers and to customer service but has learned how to use it better than most. He knows how to read between the lines and look for patterns. The 4000+ message thread looks like a great resource although some people seem to post almost daily for no particular reason.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I got an update this morning, apparently my truck was stashed in some storage lot for the past sixteen days. The individual in Michigan I have been speaking to told me when he made a call about the truck the folks at the lot did not know it was a customer order. He did tell me it should be on a rail car no later than Friday, they are working to get it out of there. He did tell me it looks like it had been forgotten about and fallen off the radar. I did ask him to check and see if any other customer orders were stuck there and see if they could get them moving as well. No telling how many more are sitting there with mine.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks everyone for your responses. Just an update the new "delivery date" was changed to 14 April last week and 14 April came and went. Manager gave me a call and said the new date is now 28 April...:mad:

They took an additional $2,000 off the price but I mean this starting to get beyond ridiculous, one more delay I'm done. I'm starting to think this is a sign that I should've just gone with the Grand Cherokee with the EcoDiesel instead.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts