RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I deleted my Ram a while ago at 600 miles and don't look back, but.....

Since that time I received a ton of nasty complains from my wife about diesel smell...

What makes our deleted truck smell raw diesel is a lack of catalytic which is an integrated part of the DPF.

If somebody doesn't know our DPF has 2 sections. Top section is catalytic converter like one used on older diesel and gas vehicle.
The bottom section is DPF itself.

The catalytic converter is actually not a big evil when it comes to engine life, unless it is plugged and dead.

So, I started to think about options.... And here what I did:

1. I added MagnaFlow 60110 Universal Catalytic Converter (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009V176HE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

2. 3" X 6" Interlock Stainless Steel Flex Pipe (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009YMFLEA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

3. EVIL ENERGY 3 Inch Stainless Steel Exhaust V Band Clamp Male Female Flange (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07439C4Z1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

4. OD 3" 4 FT Long Straight Exhaust Piping Tubing Tube Pipe T304 Stainless Steel (https://www.ebay.com/itm/OD-3-4-FT-Long-Straight-Exhaust-Piping-Tubing-Tube-Pipe-T304-Stainless-Steel/272211404761?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649)

5. 2pcs 3 inch OD 45 Degree 2FT Exhaust Piping Tubing Tube PipeT304 Stainless Steel (https://www.ebay.com/itm/2pcs-3-inch-OD-45-Degree-2FT-Exhaust-Piping-Tubing-Tube-PipeT304-Stainless-Steel/283341807830?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649)

I welded it all together using my TIG welder. Also I deleted my muffler and used just a piece of 3" 304 pipe and 2 pieces of 2 1/4 45 degree bends I bought in local muffler shop.

It all came out very good. The diesel smell is almost gone. It does smell a bit when I just start the truck and engine is cold, but in minutes smell goes away.
When engine is hot the exhaust smells less than any gas vehicle.

I will try to get pictures and post them.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
The reason I added 3" V-band is because stock v-band is super flimsy. So I welded my new V-band right to the top ring.

The new V-band is super solid and locks very well without gasket. No leaks from new V-band connection.

I added another flex as the original design had flex right after DPF and it makes sense to have it there.

The catalytic itself has 3 1/2" holes so, I had to stretch my 3" pipes, not a big deal as I have pipe stretch kit.

The MagnaFlow 60110 is designed for much bigger engine, I don't think it will add any restriction to my exhaust system.

The MagnaFlow 60110 was on sale and I paid only $205 for it now I can see a bit other price....

·
Registered
644 Posts
Newer diesels smell a bit more too because of the pilot injection, I’d rather be around an old diesel than a newer deleted one for this reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Newer diesels smell a bit more too because of the pilot injection, I’d rather be around an old diesel than a newer deleted one for this reason.

You are right old diesels just stink but new diesels are burning your eyes and throat and nose.

I am surprised how unsmelly my truck is right now.

I do understand just single catalytic converter is not even close to original after treatment system, but it is a very good compromise compare to delete.

But on other hand my mileage is better, my oil is clean without evil EGR, no regens, no DEF, etc.

It is like Ram before 2007...

·
Registered
644 Posts
Soo... How are you keeping that catalytic converter from plugging up?
they won't really ever plug up if it is sized up correctly for the engine, which he stated it is. My 06 cummins had one on it, and I had it tuned pretty hot for a lot of miles with the cat still on, with no signs of plugging. Eventually ripped it off in favor of larger exhaust and compound turbos and fully upgraded engine, etc. To stop rambling on though, cat's don't really plug and diesel temps don't get hot enough to "burn" them up typically. hence why they are installed prior to the DPF, sometimes referred to as DOC or diesel oxidation catalyst

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This cat is big enough to be used on 7.3 Ford, 6.0 Ford and Cummins 5.9.

I think our little 3.0 engine won't make it sweat.. and newer injection system is cleaner anyways.

·
Registered
12,441 Posts
Surely a different approach than what is normally seen on this forum.

You spent a lot of money, time and exercised your creativity to please the wife and make your Ecodiesel smell better. Bet you don't have a goat. They smell worse and are not fixed in any way.

You gave this forum an education. Thanks.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I've always throught the Ford Powerstrokes- namely the 6.0, 6.4, 6.7- have a much stronger "diesel" exhaust smell than engines from manufacturers, even with all their emissions equipment in place. Maybe it's just me, but I've always thought they smell like they are burning excessive fuel or dumping raw fuel into the exhaust.

·
Registered
644 Posts
6.0 had a unique smell with everything intact, however it became worse with the introduction of ULSD, the 7.3 also had a unique smell, and I think it has something to do with HEUI injection. The 6.4 and 6.7 smell a lot like the rest of them with emissions intact in my opinion. I do see higher mileage units start smelling different, Cummins and Duramax engines too. they all vent their crankcase gases differently into the intakes, and I believe this plays a role, Ford introduces it right into the turbo/intake manifold, whereas Cummins takes it in front of the turbo, and it has to pass through an intercooler and then to the intake, GM takes it a different route, but has recently gone to a system like the Fords. I believe some of the exhaust odor is due to CCV gases. The Powerstroke and Duramax seems to visually have a lot more blow by than a Cummins. Also the Cummins has a massive filter built into the valve cover. Hard to really know or tell for sure. However I believe this plays a major role in exhaust smell. My ECO smelled pretty bad depending on conditions, but it’s an engine less than half the size of any of the HD diesels

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
I thought the DOC and DPF were one unit right below the turbo, and the SCR was in a different section of tubing behind the DEF injector. Had you kept the DEF and the SCR you wouldn't have any odor.

I saw on FB that T&S Speed Shop has fabricated and is selling a down-pipe to SCR adapter for just this purpose.

The odor is one of the main reasons I won't delete until absolutely necessary.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I thought the DOC and DPF were one unit right below the turbo, and the SCR was in a different section of tubing behind the DEF injector. Had you kept the DEF and the SCR you wouldn't have any odor.

I saw on FB that T&S Speed Shop has fabricated and is selling a down-pipe to SCR adapter for just this purpose.

The odor is one of the main reasons I won't delete until absolutely necessary.
You are right DOC and DPF are one single unit and this is why I took them both out.

We all know how bad all the emission crap affects our engines, this is why it is all out of my truck.

There is no way I will put all the crap back...

Now, 17' trucks stop using any DEF with GDE tune, so you have it or not it does nothing.

I think having a large catalytic converter kind of making your truck half environmental evil...

BTW I can't see any black smoke, or it might be me with light foot.. I need to clean the tips and see if they get soot.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Surely a different approach than what is normally seen on this forum.

You spent a lot of money, time and exercised your creativity to please the wife and make your Ecodiesel smell better. Bet you don't have a goat. They smell worse and are not fixed in any way.

You gave this forum an education. Thanks.
I bought aluminized delete pipes and our Canadian winter already started eating them.

This time I wanted to do it right, this is why I bought all all 3" 304 SS piping and was changing my piping anyways.

The difference in price was CAT which was on sale for $205 USD.

I think this is one of the best spent $200 in my life, as I don't get sh... about smell any more.

I do have TIG and MIG welders and do all my welding.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Now I took DEF tank out and I think I will add auxiliary fuel tank in its place.

I think 8-10 gallons of extra fuel won't hurt.

·
Super Moderator
3,762 Posts
Now I took DEF tank out and I think I will add auxiliary fuel tank in its place.

I think 8-10 gallons of extra fuel won't hurt.
With the DEF tank out of the way, you can probably use a 32 gallon tank from a gasser. Mounts and everything should be in place, and no dealing with any form of transfer pump or piping.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
With the DEF tank out of the way, you can probably use a 32 gallon tank from a gasser. Mounts and everything should be in place, and no dealing with any form of transfer pump or piping.
With all the pumps and plumbing I think I will build my own aluminum tank and connect it to main one. I still have my older electric diesel lift pump which I can use.

I just got my Argon tank exchanged today but some genius gave me Argon-CO2 mix instead....

You have to check everything.... people are so people....

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
You are right DOC and DPF are one single unit

Now, 17' trucks stop using any DEF with GDE tune, so you have it or not it does nothing.

That was true when GDE tune for 2017 first came out , after a while GDE figured out the new software of the 2017 ,
and from then on the Hot tune for 2017 started using the DEF , unless you asked for the option to turn it OFF ,
some members who had the first 2017 version of the hot tune
have sent in their ECM to reactivate the DEF so that whatever you put in the DEF tank would not crystalise , or turn into a swamp in there

1 - 20 of 20 Posts