RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious from those that are deleted/tuned and towing heavyish (+6k lbs), do you notice a big difference from just a normal GDE hot tune? Able to hold higher speeds/gears? Trying to decide if putting more $$ into the ED is worth if ro get better towing or if I should just go 3/4 ton.

·
Registered
568 Posts
GDE is a combination engine + transmission tune, it will greatly improve towing that amount of weight.

3/4 ton upgrade is more about how often you will be towing and if you'll be towing towards the upper end of an ED's abilities regularly..

·
Registered
4,623 Posts
What is it you plan on towing? I tow a toy hauler between 7500-8k, and it pulls a lot of wind. GDE helps immensely.

Reactions: Ecosparky

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I should clarify, I currently have GDE engine tune and SFT transmission tune. Looking for more by doing a full delete and 60 hp tune (while monitoring EGTs). Trying to figure out if the full delete and new tune are worth it or if I should jump ship.

I tow about 5k miles a year. Had a 4k lb wet trailer and the truck performed well. Just got a 7k lb wet trailer and I'm not terribly excited about the EDs performance. I tow 65 mph mostly for fuel economy but need to be able to tow 70 mph when needed. With the new trailer, 70 mph is a real stretch.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Full delete wont help much for towing but it depends on what your looking for. What makes towing at 70 mph vs 65 mph seem a real stretch? Bigger turbo and a remote oil cooler would help a lot more than just adding more power via tuning.

·
Registered
4,623 Posts
Really want to watch EGT when towing with the higher HP tunes. I believe the more moderate HP tunes are better with EGT control.

I don't think much will change with the delete tune from where you're at now. So ask yourself if you're happy towing what you want to tow with how your truck currently sits. I think you could do better for your trans tune, nice to have one from the same tuner as the ECM tune so the shifting works well with the turbo brake and fueling.

·
Super Moderator
3,326 Posts
What is your concern or issue? Power, heat, hunting / what gear it tows in? Do you have a raised truck, bigger tires, E load all terrain tires? A Ttadesman / Honeycomb style grill?

Mine generally will do a 7k box TT at 70 mph well on a flat. But up a grade into some headwind will take fuel and run warm even with both GDE tunes, full delete, SLT honeycomb grill, 3.92 & low rolling resistance 265/60/20 Michelin Defenders. BTW running 240 water 260 oil for a mile or up a grade doesn’t bother me or seem to significantly shorten engine life.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good Input. My concern is basically power. It runs ok on flats but any slight grade or headwind and i have to slow and it starts to feel pretty underpowered. I don't mind slowing for real hill climbing, but even slight hills seem to slow it down and make it hot. I have a leveling kit, an aftermarket unrestricted grill, 285/70r17 E rated Falken Wildpeak at2's.

Was hoping that a delete and more aggressive tune would get me enough ponies to keep better highway speeds. Some reviews make it sound like night and day difference. From what you all describe, those reviews are a bit rosy.

Just FYI, I was looking the MR Tuning website and seeing 570 ft-lbs for stage 2. That sounded pretty damn good! Not sure its accurate though.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
What your probably experiencing is a soft derate for egts. The gde tune well pull power to control egts a full delete well help a tiny bit with that but not much.

·
Super Moderator
3,326 Posts
Good point you have to stay below 245 water and or 267 oil in order to keep the computer from pulling fuel & power away from you.

The leveling kit and heavy E load all terrains probablyeork against you here. 570 should do it if temperatures don’t get in the way. Then you would need an aftermarket oil cooler like Bounty has. Well or a new gen 3 ED where Ram finally Moved the intercooler away from in front of the radiator.

570 with stock turbo & intercooler??

Reactions: justind

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@Brokedownbutgood that is interesting about the soft derate for EGT's. I did not know that. I keep an eye on my coolant and oil and stay below what @VernDiesel said, but I do not currently monitor EGT's. I would definitely do it if I go to a delete and Stage 2 tune. I thought it was in my head, but when I get on the interstate and accelerate, the truck seems to get right up to 70 mph no problem. After a while, it seems harder and harder to keep 70 mph, even if my oil and coolant temps are fine. Wondering now if the GDE hot tune is pulling a little fuel for high EGT's. If that's the case, then opening up the exhaust system with a delete might help, maybe?

@VernDiesel yes 570 ft lbs with stock turbo and intercooler. Seems hard to believe because that's the highest I've seen....by a lot. Here's the link https://mrtuning.ca/en/chip_tuning/jeep_dodge_ram_1500_30l_v6_ecodiesel_2014_2018.html

·
Super Moderator
3,326 Posts
The stage 1 stage 1 might be nice package to tow with while not having to watch EGTs like a hawk and without dumping fuel & rolling coal. Still 15 ish HP & 30 ish TQ at peaks by my best estimates over the GDE. But the only thing it talks that found was peak HP & TQ. Not fuel economy, cruise control improvements, engine/turbo brake, etc. Food for thought.

Anybody with first hand experiences with this tuner or including comparisons to GDE, SFK, or HD Diesel would sure be appreciated.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I honestly think your better off with GDE vs. MR Tuning for towing. MR mainly tunes for wide open throttle. And his numbers are extremely optimistic. Here's the only dyno I have seen for him for an ecodiesel:

MRTuning

More like 50hp and 90 Ft/Lbs. (Note: the "nouveau" means "new" in French if your curious about the pull with the big numbers.) For further reference, before I purchased, I asked MR Tuning about which tune recommended for towing and he said "none".

GDE raises EGT limits by 100 degrees or so. MR and SFK leave the limits stock to my knowledge. GDE has to raise them a bit because moving fuel from the pilot injection to the main injection causes a hotter burn.

My honest opinion is outside of a turbo upgrade, I believe your pushing the ecodiesel to the limit of it's capabilities. The high EGT's fall squarely on the small turbo.

·
Registered
465 Posts
My EGT's actually went down with my SFT Stage 2 tune over GDE's hot tune. SFT Stage 2 is my go to tune for towing and keeps the oil temps about 8-10 degrees cooler than GDE. I tow 30k miles a year, with 4000-8000lb trailers all over the rocky mtns. I mainly stay between 60-70mph and have no issues. I have a different, aftermarket grill that allows much more airflow and a few other mods and the hottest my oil has gotten the last year is 248 going up an 6% grade for 6 miles going 65mph. Coolant hovered around 230. My oil rarely gets above 226 while towing, only on the long grades does it creep up.

I don't believe anyone that has offered advice to you so far have any personal experience with a full delete state 2 tune. The 2 stage 2 full delete tunes I've ran in my truck have lowered EGTs while towing (SFT and PPEI). PPEI smoked a ton up grades and during acceleration. It has a little more power than SFT, but not enough to justify the smoke.

VernDiesel tows for a living, and he would be the first I would listen to for towing advice and ecodiesels. He also knows the limits very well for his truck and stays within them.

Stage 2 allows more airflow, which lowers EGTs, As long as the power isn't maxed. MRTuning I believe pushes things too far and then pumps fuel in to keep EGTs lower. So, if you like rolling coal, they are the ones to go with. SFT is pretty basic, not a real sophisticated tune, but it does well for towing and keeps temps well in check. Its been a solid and reliable tune for 35k miles for me, almost all towing. GDE will save you the most fuel, at the expense of slightly warmer temps.

I switch between my GDE tune and SFT tune frequently. I spoke with MrTuning about getting a tune from them but they refused to sell me a tune if I had any intentions of comparing it to SFT. They hate SFT with a passion, but imo are not much better themselves. The owner of SFT and the main dealer for MrTuning are very similar in personality (and in situation, both resellers not tuners themselves) and I feel like I'm talking to the same person when I communicate with both of them.

Reactions: KRom and lucskoj8

·
Registered
127 Posts
Be careful with tunes that are claiming big HP and Torque gains, you need to make sure you are not at the limits of the transmission or exceeding the limits of the transmission for torque output.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
My EGT's actually went down with my SFT Stage 2 tune over GDE's hot tune. SFT Stage 2 is my go to tune for towing and keeps the oil temps about 8-10 degrees cooler than GDE. I tow 30k miles a year, with 4000-8000lb trailers all over the rocky mtns. I mainly stay between 60-70mph and have no issues. I have a different, aftermarket grill that allows much more airflow and a few other mods and the hottest my oil has gotten the last year is 248 going up an 6% grade for 6 miles going 65mph. Coolant hovered around 230. My oil rarely gets above 226 while towing, only on the long grades does it creep up.

I don't believe anyone that has offered advice to you so far have any personal experience with a full delete state 2 tune. The 2 stage 2 full delete tunes I've ran in my truck have lowered EGTs while towing (SFT and PPEI). PPEI smoked a ton up grades and during acceleration. It has a little more power than SFT, but not enough to justify the smoke.

VernDiesel tows for a living, and he would be the first I would listen to for towing advice and ecodiesels. He also knows the limits very well for his truck and stays within them.

Stage 2 allows more airflow, which lowers EGTs, As long as the power isn't maxed. MRTuning I believe pushes things too far and then pumps fuel in to keep EGTs lower. So, if you like rolling coal, they are the ones to go with. SFT is pretty basic, not a real sophisticated tune, but it does well for towing and keeps temps well in check. Its been a solid and reliable tune for 35k miles for me, almost all towing. GDE will save you the most fuel, at the expense of slightly warmer temps.

I switch between my GDE tune and SFT tune frequently. I spoke with MrTuning about getting a tune from them but they refused to sell me a tune if I had any intentions of comparing it to SFT. They hate SFT with a passion, but imo are not much better themselves. The owner of SFT and the main dealer for MrTuning are very similar in personality (and in situation, both resellers not tuners themselves) and I feel like I'm talking to the same person when I communicate with both of them.
Actually plenty of us have experience using full delete tune tunes vs intact tunes it doesnt make a huge difference. Mr tuning numbers are flywheel comparisons and there tune is one of the cleaner running tunes. Yes trying to communicate with some of them can be difficult since there native tongue is frence but Martin has a lot of experience tuning and does it in house.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
We actually just sold it, but the TT I towed was 7,300 lbs. It towed better in 7th gear going 70 than it did 65 with the 3.55 rear gears, the added mph gave you another 250 rpm and put the engine in a happier place at about 2250-2300 rpm. If I towed in 6th at 60-65 at 2300-2500 rpm it never wanted for power, but with tow/haul on it would run 7th so I let it. It would lug down on hills some but would pull them without downshifting for the most part (I'm in Texas we don't have mountains).

If you want a big truck get one. I cant walk away from 30 mpg. I recently towed a 5000-5500 lb load on a flatbed same trip as my dad towing an 11,000+ pound load with his 2018 cummins. I got 22 mpg and change he got 13 mpg and change both driving 65 mph.

At any point in time from a dead stop mid range or passing up at highway speed he could have flat left me in the dust. The Cummins has always been an engine I liked and I have owned a 2003 and a 2010, but these later model ones are just f-ing power houses even compared to the slightly older Cummins. If you want one and don't mind losing the fuel economy edge of the eco then go for it, the sound and power will put a grin on your face every time!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts