RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has been posted before by others, the slow delivery times due to rail shipping. This is not just a Chrysler issue, but is impacting the Auto Industry.

Case in point - talking to my buddy last night who works at Honda (Ontario Canada). I was driving by an old parking lot last night, and noticed a lot of Civics parked there - and obviously from a factory. So I asked what the reason was for them being there.

He confirmed they are at least 2 weeks behind in shipping, due to the rail lines. Honda is building the cars - and having to ship them to whatever storage location they can find. The Kicker is - they then have to bring them back to where they can load on rail cars, which adds to the delay.

So - thought everyone who is waiting (including me) would like to know. I know some have been grumbling that Chrysler (sorry - Fiat :D) should have seen this coming - but it is what it is.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Seriously? Must be a Canadian thing, EH? My truck was loaded on a Thursday and made it from Michigan to Mesquite Texas in two days all on a holiday weekend mind you. Rail car hit town on Sunday and Tuesday I had my truck.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Lol we are moving a lot of oil up here! Lol and have a lot less tracks!

·
Registered
13,680 Posts
Warren Buffet and Berkshire Hathaway own the Canadian railway system. Their rail companies control Canada and American rail transportation. Their decisions impact our economies dramatically.

Case in point - opposition to the oil pipelines comes from major donations that control Obama. Donations from Berkshire Hathaway. They want the rail business transporting oil and the control they get from it.

Reactions: kalalp

·
Registered
362 Posts
These oil trains are derailing and exploding left and right. People call them bomb trains. The oil we are getting today especially North Dakota is much more explosive than conventional crude oil. I would blame the oil industry for these train delays. They are taking up all the trains.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
346 Posts
These oil trains are derailing and exploding left and right. People call them bomb trains. The oil we are getting today especially North Dakota is much more explosive than conventional crude oil. I would blame the oil industry for these train delays. They are taking up all the trains.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Keystone XL Pipeline. Who's keeping this from being a reality? There's who to blame.

Reactions: kalalp

·
Registered
279 Posts
I work with the rail lines every day in my job.... and for companies as profitable as the railroads, especially the CN, they aint easy to do business with... I guess it's what you would call a monopoly... or we need them more than they need us.....
Anyway, getting good info is difficult unless you have some contacts.... even then, there are times when I make the sign of the cross, and pray the rail cars get there....

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's possible the delays have been cleared, but it is more likely you were one of the fortunate ones. Some guys in your area are still waiting for their trucks - due to shipping. At lot depends on how they route it - but I hope your experience is getting closer to be the norm.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My truck has been sitting finished in Michigan since May 2nd. I have been given five different delivery dates starting on May 9th. I call every day and they move it out a day. I don't buy this railroad scam. Search the web where is the issue? No one at RAM can answer when I will get my truck. Best part is I was told it would be in this Monday and sold my Jeep, for twice what they would give me for a trade in, now I'm up a creek. I have ordered trucks from Dodge in the past and never had the run around like this my truck is at 12 weeks. The whole process with the dealer and Ram has been poor. I am not feeling any love from Ram. Is anyone else getting this runaround?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I purchased my truck on 5/2 with an estimated delivery of 5/5. Then 5/9, then 5/12, 5/16, 5/19, 5/23 and now 5/26. Bought this truck already ordered and believed the salespeople that I would have it in plenty of time for two camping trips I had planned. Didn't have it for the trip last weekend and now it looks like I won't have it for Memorial weekend trip either. If I had waited and not listened to their sales BS I could have bought a similar Longhorn that is sitting at another dealership as we speak. Ram and dealer have lost my loyalty with their poor customer service

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My truck has been sitting finished in Michigan since May 2nd. I have been given five different delivery dates starting on May 9th. I call every day and they move it out a day. I don't buy this railroad scam. Search the web where is the issue? No one at RAM can answer when I will get my truck. Best part is I was told it would be in this Monday and sold my Jeep, for twice what they would give me for a trade in, now I'm up a creek. I have ordered trucks from Dodge in the past and never had the run around like this my truck is at 12 weeks. The whole process with the dealer and Ram has been poor. I am not feeling any love from Ram. Is anyone else getting this runaround?
Might find this interesting. I have a friend that works for Honda (plant is also local to me). I was driving home and noticed a bunch of Civic's in a parking lot - all obviously just built/from the Factory. I asked him about it - he advised that the rail lines are about 2 weeks behind (at least).

The other interesting point - Honda has to ship the cars to where ever they can find storage, as they are still coming out of the Factory. But then - when they need to ship - have to transport the cars back to where their rail line access is. This adds another delay.

So this is not a RAM thing - it is impacting at lot of other businesses and it does exist.

Not saying people are not right to be annoyed - I would be too at the delays. But blaming the manufacturer - at least at this point is a little premature.

It was a long/cold/dark/crappy Winter - one which is still leaving its marks on all sorts of industries.

·
Registered
12 Posts
"It was a long/cold/dark/crappy Winter - one which is still leaving its marks on all sorts of industries." No excuse for poor customer support. My company would be out of business if we where giving out incorrect delivery dates like they have been doing. Nobody there knows what is going on, just ask them. That is what is frustrating.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts