RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks - I have been perusing this site regularly for the past three weeks (as well as many other sites and reviews) and am still undecided on what engine I want. I know I like the RAM 1500 out of the trucks I have driven but can't seem to make up my mind - ED or Hemi.

My driving
I have a daily commute of approximately 100 miles when going to the office - almost 90% of which is highway. I live in NJ. In addition to the office commute, I drive to job sites all over the state, including north Jersey which will involve stop and go city driving. The largest thing that will be put in the truck is my '72 Triumph Trident - I will almost never haul anything but like that I will be able to if need be. For an idea of how much I drive, I bought a 2011 I5 Colorado in 2/2012 with 10k miles and it now has 102k miles. I maintain my truck well and spend a lot of time in it.

Specific requirements
I will be getting the 4x4, crew cab, Big Horn options with all the bells and whistles including back up cam, luxury group, 3.92 gear ration, near-object sensors, etc. I plan on getting longer term financing (72 to 84 months) to keep the payments down enabling overpayment of monthly minimum when possible (no early payment penalty in NJ). The goal of this purchase is to get a truck that I will have for a minimum of 8-10 years which translates to goals in the 200,000 to 300,000 miles range with lowest cost of ownership possible. I said the same thing on my current inline five cylinder 2011 Chevy Colorado which was advertised as getting 23 mpg but decided against all the bells and whistles at purchase due to cost. Not surprisingly the lack of bells and whistles is part of the reason I want a new, shiny and ultimately expensive full size truck.

Concerns
I am a little concerned about the long term costs of the ED including emissions issues (which seem to be on all diesels) and the fact that they do not offer the Lifetime Warranty (but do on the Hemi). I have calculated based on my area and recent fuel prices I would save about $750 a year with the ED (over Hemi) which would realize cost savings considering the additional cost of the ED ($3,900) within about 5.2 years. This excludes any repair and/or maintenance costs (Hemi - mostly covered with Mopar Lifetime warranty; ED - cover to max of 170,000 miles with extended warranty). I have also read that the extended warranty on the EDs don't cover the emissions components beyond the federally mandated 80k miles.

Please deposit your 0.2 cents here considering the above. Hemi or ED. I appreciate your time and am excited for the new purchase either way!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I also wanted to say thanks in general as the information I have gotten from this site has helped me greatly and am generally leaning toward the ED. Specifically this one:

New 2015 Ram 1500 RAM 1500 SLT CREW CAB 4X4 in Lumberton NJ | Near Philadelphia, Princeton & Norristown | VIN: 1C6RR7LM5FS720175

I feel like Homer thinking about doughnuts when I drove that truck. I won't qualify for all of the rebates on that list price (military and recent college grad = +$1,500) but it seems like a decent deal considering the pricing I have found in the area and mentioned on this forum.

·
Administrator
2,187 Posts
I would think the diesel would be perfect for your needs. Trying to make a decision based on possible problems with emissions, etc., is near impossible. You may never have a problem... you also could have problems with the Hemi.

Based on your driving habits, the diesel will serve you well.... then again, it's a diesel forum, what did you think I would say,!

Reactions: zeus95

·
Registered
829 Posts
Looks like a descent deal. The decision to by an ED over a Hemi shouldn't be based on economics. I know that sounds backwards. It should be based on what YOU want to drive. Yes the ED gets great mileage and may prove out more economical to own in the long haul for you given the miles you put on. Your highway driving certainly bodes well for the ED. Understand the oil changes get expensive especially if the dealer does them at retail price. Some people buy oil change packages, some like myself do it ourselves saving a bit of money and ensuring it gets done correctly. It seems that the 2015's aren't going through some of the issues of the '14. I've got 5000 on mine so far and haven't had any issues at all yet. I love it and wouldn't trade it on anything different. But that me. Yeh, a semi would get it done. A 3.6 Pentastar would make a lot of sense for me. I only tow a 4000lb. snowmobile trailer. But man this truck tows that trailer real nice with the ED and ZF8. No noise, no fanfare, just quiet smooth power. The 3.92's on that truck your looking at aren't necessary for what you do and will cost you 1 MPG, but turbo lag will be less pronounced and only costs you a nominal MPG hit. Just understand what you are buying and be willing to take care of the truck and you'll be fine. Jay.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
well ... emissions are under 80K warranty, so that might give you some peace of mind. i think your commute is also going to heavily favor the EcoD in two ways - obviously the mileage is going to be a no brainer, but also having that will give your truck plenty of good mileage for keeping soot/DPF clear... the VM engine has been analyzed a million different ways now - and it is a really wonderful powerplant, it has been proven in many markets - remember it is only new to the US - so no, i wouldn't be concerned about longevity.

i'll be really honest - my dad has a '12 Hemi 1500, i have an uncle with the hemi 300c, i've got several friends who all have '12-'14 1500 hemi's - they are fun trucks to drive no question. and now a new hemi with the 8spd ZF and VVT, they are a bit more efficient - but everyone of them hates their MPG and i would actually tell you if you are going to compare based on your description, i would have said the V6 Pentstar or the EcoD - and that one is going to be a bigger margin financially, but my point is, the Hemi...just hard to really give good justification outside of "it's really fast!" .. which by the way, is totally valid ha!

·
Registered
735 Posts
Based on your post I’d recommend the Pentastar engine. If you do go Hemi/ED I wouldn’t bother with the 3.92 gears.

Don’t get me wrong, the ED would be awesome for your commute, however if you are worried about emissions systems issues you might want to reconsider. I’m not worried, if mine has issues I’ll deal with it somehow.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
I won't make any recommendations, but am going to sell/trade my Ecodiesel at 80K or 8 years, regardless of how reliable it has been. This decision is based upon two experiences with my previous truck. At 80K miles I had about $10K in out of warranty repairs. At 90K (13 years) the paint started to peel. So, the !0K in repairs plus the diminished value due to the paint is considerable. If I had sold/traded at the end of the warranty, the truck would have had much higher residual value and none of the problems that I just described. Perhaps the Ecodiesel would have better longevity, but it's a gamble. My way is a no brainer and no worry... For those who may say that's crazy, my answer is yep, but I can afford it and at this point in life money is worth less than my sanity... what little there is left.

I believe that 01TwoForty has some good advice, if you are mainly concerned in total cost of ownership.

Reactions: BigMac

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm not necessarily concerned about the emissions systems but it seems like that is the potentially biggest cost for the ED that is not present for the Hemi. I have never owned a diesel so my "worry" may really more of newbie concern due to unfamiliarity. Let me know if I'm overly concerned about this.

How much does the urea additive cost?

Based on what I have read, the length of my commute would likely make the ED run optimally with regard to the keeping soot/DPF clear and associated issues others have reportedly had.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
You don't NEED the hemi.

So I would also recommend either the Pentastar or the ED. And there is no good reason to have the 3.92 if you aren't going to tow anything of size.

So , redo your numbers based upon the V6 vs. the ED and see how you come out. I bought the ED for two reasons , towing mpg's and non-towing mpg's. And I got the 3.55 because I just don't need the tow capacity that the 3.92 would add.

My .04c.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have not been able to find many of the Pentastar V6 versions. I was thinking I would have liked to drive one but almost no one has them on the lots. I like a vehicle with some get up to them - seems like the Pentastar is lacking in that department.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
I too think your decision should be between the Pentastar and the ED. Pentastar is the least risky with economical services and all components well understood. I also think you should get the highest speed rear end ratio(lowest numerical ratio) offered in whatever vehicle you get. If economics and low risk are the most important the PEntastar is for you, I think. ALso use full synthetic motor oil in the engine.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
lol don't get me wrong, we aren't saying GO BUY THE PENTSTAR... but it is quicker than the EcoD and has more HP, it is not lacking in the "get up and go" department. DEF is pretty much a non-factor in all honesty, it ranges in price but usually about $12-$13 retail for 2.5gallons (Wal-Mart box price). It can be found pretty much everywhere and wouldn't be anything that would seriously alter any financial comparison.

a lot of modern diesel engines, be it the VM in the EcoD or similar 3.0L engines you'll find in MBZ, BMW, etc. are nothing at all like the diesel engines from the '80s and '90's. these are very smooth engines, and the 8 speed ZF will have your truck in the right gear almost all the time in just about every condition.

true you are going to have a harder time finding a V6 for obvious reasons, they don't sell as many as the they do the Hemi (not sure about sales of the EcoD vs Pentstar) - but you should probably find couple and drive before you talk yourself into something or out of something. the beauty of this forum as you can tell, we are pretty open minded and not blind to 'EVERY PROBLEM REQUIRES AN ECOD SOLUTION". :)

·
Administrator
2,187 Posts
I didn't mention pentastar, because OP asked about Hemi vs 3D. As others have said, it may be a good choice in your situation. However, if you simply want the diesel, I say go for it. It's the best truck I ever had.

Best of luck with you decision!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was thinking its funny that I am disregarding the economics of the bells and whistles but weighing the economics of the engine so heavily. I guess the ED would be the biggest bell and whistle I could opt for....

·
Registered
140 Posts
I just traded in my 2013 Hemi Sport. It was fully loaded. I traded down to this SLT ED and I am extremely happy with the decision. I did miss the HP at first but I love my ED and will never go back. Best truck I ever owned!!

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
DEF is about $2.80/gallon at a truck stop from the DEF pump. I'm averaging over 1500 MPG on DEF, so it's not exactly a large expense at somewhere around a quarter of a cent per mile. Maintenance is more expensive on a diesel, and since the switch to ULSD, diesel tends to run slightly more expensive than gasoline. If you put on the miles, the payback is there. I put on 30k miles/year, and prefer how a diesel truck drives, so I bought a diesel.

My father has a Hemi RAM with everything I've got, except the sunroof & air suspension. He averages about 17MPG; I'm averaging almost 24MPG. He wishes he'd have waited 4 months to get the Ecodiesel over his Hemi.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
I'm not necessarily concerned about the emissions systems but it seems like that is the potentially biggest cost for the ED that is not present for the Hemi. I have never owned a diesel so my "worry" may really more of newbie concern due to unfamiliarity. Let me know if I'm overly concerned about this.

How much does the urea additive cost?

Based on what I have read, the length of my commute would likely make the ED run optimally with regard to the keeping soot/DPF clear and associated issues others have reportedly had.
From what I have read, the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) has a life of 70K to 120K miles, depending upon how often it regenerates. Your style of driving would be conducive to longevity. Currently, the DPF costs a couple of thousand dollars, but should be less as aftermarket parts become available. There are also companies that are reconditioning the DPFs. The big issue is that you have to remove the exhaust system to get the DPF out. It would seem that DPFs with removable cartridges would be ideal and perhaps something that we will see in the future.

The Diesel Emission Fluid (DEF) costs about $0.01 per mile, according to my usage.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Gene just wondering but that repair at 90k on your chev,did you blame that on your tuner or was head bolts etc. a weak spot ?

·
Registered
735 Posts
It is hard to make a decision like this based on economics alone. I drove one of those I5 GMs, it was practical, but one of the most boring vehicles I had ever driven. As I recall the transmission’s mission in life was to get into high gear ASAP.

V8s are awesome, Diesel’s are bad a$$ (even this little 3.0), V6 naturally aspirated gassers are practical, and somewhat overlooked. Make your decision and don’t look back, even a few of the new Corvettes have been lemons.

Be warned, no matter which Ram you buy you’ll need to deal with this goofy grin on your face for a while. :p

1 - 20 of 52 Posts