RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

Did a little "hypermiling" today

9K views 35 replies 17 participants last post by  romadrod 
#1 ·
I decided since I had an hour and 45 minute ride home today from camping and nowhere to be in a rush that I would try to squeak the best mpg numbers I could out of it. The drive consisted of changing elevations, nothing too crazy but definitely not flat at all. It was nearly all 45 mph country roads and 55 mph highway. I found that the sweet spot on my truck for efficiency is between 50 and 60 mph, just enough to be in 8th gear but you're really staying out of it. I was able to muster 35.8 mpg until I hit my hometown traffic and stop lights. The last 10 minutes brought it down to 34.1 mpg. Being that I traveled roughly 80-90 miles, not just coasting down one hill to see the number I was pretty impressed. I'm not always going to drive like that, but just wanted to experiment.

#2 ·
That's fantastic!!! That's also the sweet spot for my diesel MB, as well.

#3 ·
That's the driving strategy that a hyper-milier did in the EcoDiesel for the article a couple months back, find the right rpms to just be into 8th and cruise there. He actually recommended a little faster at first and the slow down to activate aero mode on air-suspension trucks since he wasn't over 65 to get it to drop. I think I remember he liked 58 mph to get the best and they ended up getting 38 and change, 1000 miles on a tank I think it was.

#6 ·
So, the aero mode doesn't kick until above 65mph, but it stays in aero mode back down to what speed? Can you lock the truck in aero mode?

#9 ·
You can't lock it into areo mode unfortunately. i'v had it stay on down to 50km/h (30mph) if you keep it above that you are good!

#14 ·
I drive up to 65 mph just to activate aero mode, and yes, you can then cruise at lower speed and still maintain aero. Don't know the cutoff, but have cruised at 50 and stayed, and temporarily drops to 30 (for on/off ramps) and I stayed. Aero mode really makes a difference so I always try to activate, then Settle on a cruise speed. Plus, the truck is safer and more stable in aero mode because of the lower center of gravity and stiffer shocks.

#16 ·
I have a 100 mile commute every day on I 10 between Louisiana and Texas I squeeze 33 mpg according to the lie meter. Traveling 70 when I get off the interstate it averages 29.9 with my 1 mile intercity traffic. Well pleased found diesel for $3.49 the other day. When the fuel light came on I figured I had 2 gals left. Drove another 10 miles and pumped 24.4 gals in it.

#17 ·
Superb fuel mileage.

Just got back from an RV show. Noticed I had gone about 470 miles on this latest tank. Much of it was towing a 5 x 8 trailer to pick up windows from different Home Depots. Probably a good 100 miles of that towing involved. Lots of stop and go, city driving in nasty traffic also. I do not try to go easy and find that sweet spot. Showing 26.4 mpg right now.

#19 ·
I do the hypermile thing as well, getting as high s 38 mpgs at times but averages low 30s overall.. Stopping and starting the truck from lights brings the #s down fast.. I cruise at 59 mph on one highway, and on the other i go 53.. just above the 8th gear drop-off to 7th. I ran the last tank down to the point it said low fuel (10 miles left) and drove another 14 miles.. I was sweating it but made it to the cheaper diesel station. I am loving the fuel economy.. I also drive a Dart 1.4 turbo and it gets a constant 40+ mpgs..

#22 ·
So mine is now a week old. 4x4 with air suspension. Have done just under 500 miles and computer says 29.9 mpg. Speeds on local highways generally 50-60 mph and some small town driving and stoplights etc. Also 6-8 acceleration tests from start and various speeds up to 90 mph included in this. No a/c running for vast majority. Love the truck so far.

#30 ·
Gives you 99 lives too. Live forever!

In all seriousness, some of you are getting crazy mpg's with your trucks. Makes me want to go buy one right now, but must resist (might be buying a newer house, etc).

#32 ·
Car gets 23mpg +/- 1.5 back/forth to work. House is a 1225 sq ft 3/2/2 and kid #3 on the way. Sadly, the newer homes out here for what we need are all 250k plus. SMH.

#33 ·
250 wouldnt buy you a shed in oakville.....this town is crazy priced! We moved in at the height of the 09 downturn....we got lucky house prices have more than doubled since then.....id like to know whos buying these houses

Reactions: ndtguy
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.