RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So far this has been the most reliable truck I've owned to date with 209,000km and ZERO issues until today. Been GDE tuned from new. So I finally had it in for 4 recalls including the EGR replacement on Thursday at the dealership. So had the stock ECM in it for that and then put my GDE one back in Friday and been driving back and forth to work 120km/day for the last 2 days and zero issues until today. So today while cruising at highway speed, heading into work the dash lights up with Low Battery, Low oil pressure followed by Service electronic throttle, traction control, and CEL lights were on. It died and I coasted to the shoulder. Tried 3 restarts, just get continuous cranking and times out after about 20 seconds. So about here I was thinking tone wheel failed. Codes pulled were P0090 and U1424. They would not clear, so contemplating a tow to the dealer I switched out the ECM back to stock. So before I called the tow truck I would try another start and it starts right up no codes. Drove it to the dealer and they said they would look at it Tuesday. Of course because I cleared the codes they would have to be able to duplicate the codes to further troubleshoot it. I forgot it's Thanksgiving long weekend here in Canada. So plan B is I would continue on to work about 60 km and all is fine. I hate electrical gremlins. So my thinking in the morning when I get home, is to check the electrical connector down by the frame rail and I think there is a big connector beside the EGR that may need to be investigated. Lift pump going south may be a option too, tank is 3/4 full. Any other ideas out there?
I am very thankful it did start back up after all.

·
Administrator
9,781 Posts
I think P0090 is a fuel pressure issue. GDE had mentioned in an old post: The transmission module sets the U1424 fault most often if the engine controller is in limp-home mode, however it can do it for other things.

·
Registered
2021 Ram 2500 Tradesman Crew Cab 6.7 L Turbo Cummins 3.73
1,419 Posts
I assume this is a pre-2019 GDE.

Take a good look at the pins for that tuned ECM and make sure none are bent.

And are you sure you got those big connectors in right and tight?

IF it works ok with the stock ecm, I would give it another try after a few days of driving, to rule out something else.

And give the GDE ecm another try. This time bring tools and the stock ecm, just in case.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I checked the pins on the ECM all are straight so I'm a little at a loss as to why it died. Will swap the GDE tune back in and drive it to see if it repeats.

·
Registered
3,536 Posts
As 97 States , Most likely fuel pressure issues, The EcoDiesel’s fuel pump is a variable pressure pump and it does vary Especially with rapidly changing weather conditions...I had a manual fuel pressure gauge on my EcoDiesel...You have some mileage on your truck, Many of EcoDiesel’s fuel pumps have failed with much less mileage....

Next time it shuts off , Try priming the fuel system and listen closely for fuel pump priming, You can easily hear it , No noise most likely a bad fuel pump ...

My girlfriends 2012 Corolla shut off one day , I had it towed , (No Codes) Car Started Right Up at dealership , I priced Toyota (Alan Jay Toyota) to replace fuel pump 1750.00 Yep Ouch !!!!

I replaced her fuel pump for less than 100.00 , Never another issue...(3 Years Ago ) replacement took approximately 1 hour ...I wasn’t taking a chance on her breaking down again, If I could Help it ....

Personally I would replace the fuel pump, to eliminate the most likely cause....Or at the least start to listen for a whining noise from the fuel tank now , Usually an early indication of failing fuel pump...

Please keep your thread updated......

Good Luck 🍀

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
When my lift pump died at 251,000kms the truck was being backed out of a parking spot. No lights, no bells just died and wouldn't start. If it happens again do as Haul n Ass says above......listen for the lift pump to prime when the ignition is turned to the on position without starting the truck. Mine became silent.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That is one of my suspicions too. I can still hear the lift pump running when i start. I will see if I can get a fuel pressure reading from the lift pump?

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here's a long shot question. Is there a PID for lift pump pressure to the HPFP that I could scan for or will I have to do a manual guage read?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Here's a long shot question. Is there a PID for lift pump pressure to the HPFP that I could scan for or will I have to do a manual guage read?
Yes there is. you can see fuel rail pressure from a scan tool. if your lift pump is dying or causing it to die you should see a drop.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
The problem may be your lift pump is only working sometimes Next time you stall or no start, listen for the lift pump when you turn the ignition to on, before cranking.

·
Registered
3,536 Posts
EcoDiesel’s have a variable pressure lift pump , You will not be able to notice a difference in fuel pressure watching fuel rail pressures , From the fuel lift pump, Because it varies...

I believe It varies between 40- 85 psi or relatively close to these numbers...

Automotive design Automotive tire Automotive exterior Bumper Wood

This is the only way I’m aware of how to monitor lift pump fuel pressure...Tapping into the fuel line...

Unfortunately the OP is going to have to wait until the issue happens again or the lift pump starts to get louder and whine’s ....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts