RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so you diesel owners who are experienced and knowledgeable in the ways of diesel.... is there any real benefit to some of the "diesel fuel" additives that are advertised to 'improve' a number of things.... bunk? worth doing? recommendations? thanks!

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Diesel fuel is cleaner and better now than in the past despite what people say. Rather than spending money on diesel additive (other than maybe some anti gel stuff in the winter) I'd rather save the money and replace the fuel filter with the best one out more regularly. The tolerances on the injection is crazy.

·
Registered
940 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Diesel Fuel Additive test report

This report is from a few years ago, but has some very interesting conclusions regarding diesel fuel additives. The report uses science and measurement, not opinions and conjecture. Take it for what it's worth.

View attachment Diesel_fuel_additive_test.pdf

·
Registered
13,969 Posts
That was an informative read. Not sure what I learned. Just seems it's a crap shoot and doing nothing may be the best thing to do.

·
Registered
360 Posts
It seems like the best thing to do is just buy the standard diesel at most places since they seem to carry B2 diesel at least. Now if I can just get the Kroger down the hill from me to carry diesel, love the 3 cents off every day.

·
Registered
213 Posts
That study is bogus, done on ulsd before fuel standards were put in place. All diesel fuel has lubricity additives added back into diesel after refinery process to meet fuel standards.

Besides that injection systems since 2007 are designed around ulsd.

That test should be banned along with other ancient outdated material.

·
Registered
213 Posts
The only additive needed is anti-gel when temps drop below 32*F.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Ronsram - you seem angry that I posted a study that agrees with you. In the early part of the report they clearly state that all ULSD producers all lubricity additives to replace the sulfur. However, they also state that samples in the field don't always have the required levels of those additives. Many diesel owners choose to add something to their fuel "just in case". My intention was to point out which over the counter products actually do what they're supposed to.

·
Registered
360 Posts
That was how I read it, they tested a base level fuel to compare to the previous fuels. It wasn't what most people would find at the pump as additives would be in that fuel to meet the specs they were testing against. At worst you would see the study's results, most would see much less wear than they found.

·
Registered
211 Posts
The change over to ULSD starting in early 2006. The EPA required all on road diesel sold to be ULSD by late 2006. So the report isn't bogus.

And frankly, our diesel is still crap compared to European standards. It's still a low cetane swill.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
so this is what i was thinking of

Fuel Magic Online Order Form

if nothing else, if it does help with keeping things a bit cleaner, then seems worth the minimal cost. and if it helps with MPG, then its even more worth the minimal cost.

if it is total crap/bunk then i'd like to hear that too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts