RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Its diesel exhaust fluid (main ingredient is urea) it isn't added to your fuel, its used in the exhaust aftertreatment. It is misted and caused a chemical reaction to reduce NOx. You should be able to go 7-10k miles between fill ups, and it should only cost you probably $20 or so to fill up.

·
Premium Member
13,980 Posts
DEF is not an additive. It does not go into the fuel but comes from another tank that injects it into an emissions canister.

Factory says a tank lasts 10,000 miles. Factory lies. My guess is more like 6 - 8,000 depending on fuel mileage. It costs about $2.80 a gallon in bulk.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I just had to buy my 1st couple boxes of DEF ($13.88 for 2.5g). At 3900 miles my DEF is at 1/4 tank. I hope it lasts longer than that! I'm waiting until I get a low DEF warning, just to make sure the sensor works!

·
Registered
505 Posts
I just had to buy my 1st couple boxes of DEF ($13.88 for 2.5g). At 3900 miles my DEF is at 1/4 tank. I hope it lasts longer than that! I'm waiting until I get a low DEF warning, just to make sure the sensor works!
That's pretty pricey for DEF, the going rate is $2.79 g compared to $5.5 for the boxes per g. It's available at the diesel pumps if you have a truck stop nearby.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Its diesel exhaust fluid (main ingredient is urea) it isn't added to your fuel, its used in the exhaust aftertreatment. It is misted and caused a chemical reaction to reduce NOx. You should be able to go 7-10k miles between fill ups, and it should only cost you probably $20 or so to fill up.
Thanks, I knew it went into a separate tank, just curious on how quickly it gets burned up. I was trying to figure it into the cost of fuel.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Thanks, I knew it went into a separate tank, just curious on how quickly it gets burned up. I was trying to figure it into the cost of fuel.
It should be relatively negligible cost wise. I'm more worried about the cost of oil, I heard its a special European synthetic. Have to research that on here.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts