RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Allpar published charts from one of their readers showing the yearly savings and cost recovery period of the EcoDiesel compared to the Pentastar and Hemi. Estimates of just the fuel cost at this time but something to go on.

diesel-table.jpg

cost-recovery.jpg

·
Registered
13,680 Posts
So you keep your truck 10 years or more.

Interesting.

·
Registered
396 Posts
how many miles per year is that based on?
for my use (17,000 mile/year) my calculations are $.06 per mile better. .06 x 17,000 = $1,020 that is not taking into account the towing miles I do. 3000-4000 miles per year towing I figure about $.14 better so that's about $500. so overall I'm thinking about $1200 or so saving per year over a Hemi.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I usually insure 2 cars and they both burn some major gas. My payoff is in not having to keep a mileage vehicle and a horsepower vehicle anymore.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
how many miles per year is that based on?
for my use (17,000 mile/year) my calculations are $.06 per mile better. .06 x 17,000 = $1,020 that is not taking into account the towing miles I do. 3000-4000 miles per year towing I figure about $.14 better so that's about $500. so overall I'm thinking about $1200 or so saving per year over a Hemi.
The author used 15,000 miles per year. The article notes, "With trucks driven more, or carrying heavier loads, the costs would likely be recovered sooner. For buyers who mainly travel the highways without a load, it would take nearly six years to recover costs over the Hemi, and 19 years over the V6."

Reactions: EgoDiesel

·
Registered
396 Posts
I didnt see the link for the artical. surfing from the phone i went right to the charts. got it now, thanks.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
50 Posts
This article seems to leave out a significant part of the 'pay back' equation. Resale Value. This is a big unknown but if the resale value of the EcoDiesel is 2K higher than the Hemi then the payback is a no brainer.

Unfortunately, we won't know what the difference in resale value is for a few years.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The major assumption that such calculations make is that fuel prices remain stable and the relationship between gasoline prices and diesel fuel prices stays the same. My prediction is that the "inversion" of diesel fuel prices compared to gasoline prices (that is, diesel fuel costing more per gallon than gasoline) will likely begin to narrow around 2017. The reason? That is when the proposed EPA standards to lower sulfur content in gasoline will likely go into effect. That will likely cause gasoline prices to rise significantly, just as the implementation of ULSD standards was a factor in rising diesel fuel prices back in 2007.

·
Registered
5 Posts
... That is when the proposed EPA standards to lower sulfur content in gasoline will likely go into effect. That will likely cause gasoline prices to rise significantly, just as the implementation of ULSD standards was a factor in rising diesel fuel prices back in 2007.
I agree. I started driving diesels long before the ULSD regs and diesel WAS less per gallon than gas. Win-Win. After ULSD regs the price of diesel shot up over gasoline. It's getting close to where the payback is almost even. I hope you're right about the "inversion" gap narrowing because I'd like to keep driving diesels :)

·
Registered
279 Posts
Bottom line is, do static calculation, and buy what you want. I overanalyze at times, and in the end, a few pennys here or there will not make a heck of a lot of difference.....

Diesel is 50-60 cents per gallon higher here in Pennsylvania. I costed out the difference of a 5.7 hemi vs the Ecodiesel, using "combined" fuel mileage figures, and for the miles I would drive in a year, the hemi was $148 higher than the Ecodiesel. Sure that's not under load and we can argue about every condition until the cows come home, but in the end it's about fact checking, then making sound decision, also about what you want in a truck.
Fuel Mileage is not the main driver for me, never will be in a truck... that said I would not get a 6.2 L Ford or 6.2 Chevy gasser..... and the 3.6 will be OK with the 8 speed, but it's no different than the V6 we have in my wife's SUV..... So I am going diesel or nothing.... and mileage is a bonus, but it aint the main driver in the decision..... mileage over time will be a benefit... but again, cost of gas vs diesel.... with diesel being 50-60, and sometimes 70 cents per gallon higher, that about almost any gas engine close to equal in cost to the diesel eingine in Pennsylvania. Factor in driving conditions, towing... pay off for diesel here in Pa may be 5-7 years.....
I would still buy the diesel 10 out of 10 times.... It's what I want..

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Note that the ONLY reason we have the diesel in the 1500 is because of its fuel economy. There are other benefits, of course, but the purpose of the article was to estimate the fuel savings. That is what matters to most consumers especially those unfamiliar with diesel.

The big wildcard is future fuel cost. The folks that study energy predict a drop in gas and diesel prices in the short-term followed by a steady increase after 2016. High demand for diesel (much of it by China) may result in a rising difference between diesel and gas prices from 2017 to 2025.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Bigfoot, you are correct, the manufacturers are mandated to reach fuel economy levels.... Ram is going at it with the diesel, which is great for us, and Ford is going at it with small turbo charged motors.... not my choice...
but yes you are right.... the traditional gasser V8s and V6 with the old 4 speed automatics are old school.... and the companies had to change.

Marsman

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have a Jeep Wrangler which gets an average of 16 MPG.... I look at it as 16 MPG vs 27 MPG for the 4x4 Ram diesel 1500... Resale value alone will pay for the difference in price between the V6 or Hemi compared to the diesel. Also the 9200 towing capacity works fine for me, I tow 2 ATVs and would tow 3 with a pickup.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I have a 98 Chevy 350 w/4spd I'll get 19hwy I couldn't justify the cost of a new(er) truck when I'd only be getting 1 or 2 mpg better.

·
Registered
89 Posts
This article seems to leave out a significant part of the 'pay back' equation. Resale Value. This is a big unknown but if the resale value of the EcoDiesel is 2K higher than the Hemi then the payback is a no brainer.

Unfortunately, we won't know what the difference in resale value is for a few years.
I didn't read the article. Did it include the $4000 extra to get the diesel. If not u need $4000 over hemi at resale time to break even. The better fuel mileage really does not matter because most of us will sell it before the break even point.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I didn't read the article. Did it include the $4000 extra to get the diesel. If not u need $4000 over hemi at resale time to break even. The better fuel mileage really does not matter because most of us will sell it before the break even point.
The article did not include purchase price which will vary widely. I repeat, it is just about fuel economy.

The average owner keeps a new car about 6 years, long enough to get meaningful payback. For any period they will also use far less fuel than a gasser which is important to many consumers and to society.

·
Registered
366 Posts
You're a total stooge and don't know your buttocks from a hole in the ground. Typical vehicle finance terms are 5-6 years, and if you think that "MOST" people will be trading their vehicles while they are still paying them off, then why do you even care about the break-even point. When you are already in debt, I find it hard to believe you're going to nitpick about a little more debt when your upkeep costs are lower.

If you genuinely believe that the market trend is to buy a vehicle and keep trading it before the term is up then the $4000 might be unnecessary. At that point, if you trade the vehicle before you're done financing then you're going to lose money on every vehicle you ever own and you might as well buy a solid gold Range Rover because God himself isn't going to give you a cost return that is worthwhile for a buyer like you. For people who actually have the money to buy things and not finance them for the better part of a decade, we only worry about the UPKEEP costs. If purchase cost is all you're worried about...go buy a Kia.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'm really kind of surprised why everyone is so worried about payback on the diesel. It is an option like every other option on this truck. Is there a payback on the cost of 4x4 vs. 4x2? Only potentially in resale ... but we buy 4x4 because we want that capability. Where is the payback on leather seats? ram boxes? air suspension? Sun roof?

Personally, my choice for the Ecodiesel is because I love the way diesels drive. I've always said that pickup trucks are made for diesel engines. Also, I'll be spending a lot less on fuel every week. Personally, I opted to go without leather seats or a sunroof in order to get a driving experience that I will enjoy and save money at the pumps.

All personal preferences. I'm sure others would rather have a Hemi because of how fast it goes 0-60. All choices. That's why Ram offers 3 engine choices.

If it was purely to save money, I guess I'd get the lowest trim truck with no options but still get the diesel. or as EgoDiesel says ... get a Kia and save even more money.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts