RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
2018 Ram 1500 Big Horn
51 Posts
There are levels of winterized fuel. On the pumps it is rated by temperature. For example in Minnesota right now the fuel is good down to -40. In south Texas you probably do not need that level of protection. The impact of winterized diesel will be less for you in Texas.

They also vary the level of winterized fuel by the time of the year. Three months ago Minnesota did not need -40 protection, so it was -20.

When I travel and change climates it is my policy to get the tank low and fill up in the climate I plan to be in. It would be a very bad idea to have a tank full of south Texas diesel in North Dakota right now.

Brian
I travel for work and lately I have been driving there though most of the time I am only there for 24/36 hours tops.
That sounds like a great idea to keep n mind though if I am coming from a colder climate I don't think it matters as much.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I travel for work and lately I have been driving there though most of the time I am only there for 24/36 hours tops.
That sounds like a great idea to keep n mind though if I am coming from a colder climate I don't think it matters as much.
I had a 95 suburban with the 6.5 diesel. It has a 42 gallon fuel tank. One year I made a run to Park Rapids Mn for work. I came from central KS. I did not top off when I got into town but temp was well into the -20. Gelled up the fuel system good. Had it towed into a heated garage to sit over night, even inside the next morning me and the mechanic were using hot air guns all over the fuel lines and filter housings to get it started. I toped it off with D1 diesel and headed home. I never shut the truck down until I got home.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
If you're running from cold to warm, no worries. When I head north in the winter (NC to northern IN), I use additives on the first tank or two until I'm sure that I am only burning the local fuel. Coming back home, I'll throw in a dose of additive just to make sure I can keep rolling until I hit warm weather.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Marvel Mystery oil is your best friend. Great lubrication and keeps injectors clean. I put it in my bulk tank and use it in my tractors also. Gets rid of a lot of the knock in diesel engines. Been around forever.

·
Premium Member
2018 Ram 1500 Big Horn
51 Posts
^^^ What Ratio do you use. I put it in all my Gas for equipment around the house. Mower, Snowthrower, etc even generator

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Marvel Mystery oil is your best friend. Great lubrication and keeps injectors clean. I put it in my bulk tank and use it in my tractors also. Gets rid of a lot of the knock in diesel engines. Been around forever.
Becareful with your DPF equipped diesels if it is not low sulfur and low ash, That can plug up the dpf fairly quickly.

·
Registered
2014 RAM Big Horn 4x4 Quad diesel
36 Posts
Got this from the Marvel Mystery Oil website:

“Not for use in diesel fuel in engines manufactured after 2007. For modern diesel engines use Marvel Ultimate Fuel & Motor Treatment instead of Marvel Mystery Oil.”

·
Registered
498 Posts
I've run diesel Kleen in my truck since like 20,000 mile mark. when they did the EGR, the diesel tech said it was the cleanest they'd ever seen, including the intake tube etc. I also only drive distances that'll get it to 200F which is usually 30 miles and includes highway. I'm sure the diesel fuel supplier person who previously posted can confirm that 40 cetane diesel is locomotive and generator grade crap, it's not European 50 certane with superior cleanliness.... it's like home heating oil with a tax on it.... furnaces could run on recycled engine oil lol.... the fuel supply side of the industry is way out of line with the emissions requirements making modern Diesel engines disposable filters more or less. all the garbage just gets dunked up in the intake side.... the additives help the engine combust cleaner, burn hotter in the chamber, lubricate the fuel system and generally the cleaner the fuel is the less emissions you get and therefore the less EGR problems and regens.

it was said earlier but worth repeating. we're basically putting cheap sludge into an expensive European tight tolerance engine (literally)

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
1 thing that I suspect, winter diesel has less lubricity and probably lower cetane than summer diesel. My supplier alluded to this. In winter I add a gallon of Diesel Kleen to my 275 gallon tank + 1 oz of EDT to the truck. We should demand the cetane be listed at the pump. Rarely I see Cetane of 40 or higher on the pumps. Never seen 50.

·
Registered
377 Posts
1 thing that I suspect, winter diesel has less lubricity and probably lower cetane than summer diesel. My supplier alluded to this. In winter I add a gallon of Diesel Kleen to my 275 gallon tank + 1 oz of EDT to the truck. We should demand the cetane be listed at the pump. Rarely I see Cetane of 40 or higher on the pumps. Never seen 50.
Winter diesel has a higher cetane rating ( is more flamable ) and has less lubricity. For lubricity nothing beats 2% biodiesel.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
in 20+ years of pumping diesel, I think I've only seen cetane ratings posted on pumps a couple of times. I've never taken my diesels west of Iowa or north of DC, so they may post in other regions.

·
Premium Member
2018 Ram 1500 Big Horn
51 Posts
It is posted on every station I fill up on Long Island. 40 Centane Minimum

21 - 33 of 33 Posts