RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some people may be new to diesels, and not sure how the inspection goes by state. I just had the inspection done on my CRD and, to my surprised, it went easy and I learned something. Even with my CEL on (Glow Plug #3 burnt out), it passed inspection. The place I went to was uncertain because he doesn't do many diesels.

RHODE ISLAND (Rhode Island Emissions and Safety Testing Program)

Diesel vehicles: Diesel vehicles with a GVWR of 8500lbs or less are required to be tested for Safety and Emissions. Vehicles 1997 and newer may be tested at any Authorized Safety and Emissions Inspection Station. Vehicles 1996 and older must pass a diesel opacity test at one of the Diesel Opacity Stations.

Are diesel-powered vehicles inspected in this program?
Yes, light duty diesel powered vehicles weighing 8500 pounds or less are inspected in this program. Not all of the inspection stations can perform diesel inspections. Inspections on these vehicles can be performed at any one of the 25 stations throughout Rhode Island that are equipped to perform diesel inspections.

Heavy duty diesel powered vehicles (weighing over 8500 pounds) must be inspected annually at an "A" Class inspection station, which may include some stations in this program network. Contact DMV at 401-462-5890 for more information.

Which vehicles will be OBD-II tested?
Vehicle model years 1996 and newer will require an OBD-II test. Light duty diesel powered vehicles are not eligible for the OBD-II test.

·
Registered
13,970 Posts
Florida inspection is non-existent. None, Nada. No. Nothing.

Now you can be stopped for something wrong. Police never stop for traveling in the passing lane, illegal turns, no signals, busted out panels etc. They wave at all the pickups full of people sitting in the beds eating watermelon. Quads, scooters and golf carts are all over the roads. Haven't figured out what "something wrong" is.

·
Registered
27 Posts

Now you can be stopped for something wrong. Police never stop for traveling in the passing lane, illegal turns, no signals, busted out panels etc. They wave at all the pickups full of people sitting in the beds eating watermelon. Quads, scooters and golf carts are all over the roads. Haven't figured out what "something wrong" is.
Same here in Oklahoma. Not sure where the cops are, so many no license no insurance drivers here. But, on topic, no inspections here. Mandatory annual safety inspections were eliminated in 2001. Emission checks were always visual check only.

·
Registered
369 Posts
we don't have inspections in Ohio, either! I came from Pennsylvania where they loved inspections!! took me a while to get used to it!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Kalifornia has had Diesel inspections for several years. They are a joke still. Looking for modifications and tuners. Basically a revenue generator so far. They will get tougher with time.
The Colorado county where I live has no smog checks. Gas or diesel.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I had to have mine smoged(and weighed) in CA. They hooked it up but the computer could not find any such vehicle. They were scratching their heads as they didn't know what they had.

·
Registered
360 Posts

Out of state plate or speeding through Hampton, aka Speedtrapville? Same thing here in Ga though, no inspections just emissions within the Atlanta metro but diesels and over 8600 lbs exempted. I have seen F150s on 285 loaded with ten feet of pallets across the bed rails with ratchet straps attached to the fender well and bodywork doing 60 and cops pass them like it's normal. And whole corners of cars missing from wrecks, supposedly safety inspections are allowed by GSP and locals anytime but I'll be damned if they bother anyone but commercial tags.

·
Registered
211 Posts
In Texas it's just a safety inspection for diesels. They are checking to make sure there is a muffler installed depending on the shop.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
PA doesn't have an emissions inspection for Diesel's. BUT... all vehicles get a safety inspection.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts