RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
My guess is they have "X" amount of engines, parts and resources available in the pipeline to deliver a predetermined number of vehicles.

In short, if you want a new ecodiesel Ram, I certainly wouldn't wait till January 2023 to try and land one. I agree with the other poster, chances are January 2023 represents the last of production, those ecodiesel may have already been pre-sold at that point.

There is very little inventory on dealer lots right now, chances are there won't be much in the way of old-new stock sitting around for long. But who knows, that's just a guess.

Scarcity can be a very weird thing with vehicles, sometimes good, sometimes bad. Fortunately, sounds like the engine will live on in the other Chrysler products (for the time being), which means continued factory and aftermarket support.

·
Registered
2018 RAM 1500 Tradesman Ecodiesel
79 Posts
Scarcity can be a very weird thing with vehicles, sometimes good, sometimes bad. Fortunately, sounds like the engine will live on in the other Chrysler products (for the time being), which means continued factory and aftermarket support.
I'll be keeping a close eye on that support. Right now, a blown engine is ~$12k problem to fix if you're out of warranty. If there are none available, the value of my truck goes way down if it cannot be repaired, only scrapped. If they do stop supporting that engine, then getting full trade-in value now and moving to a Cummins starts to make a lot more sense.

·
Premium Member
2019 Ram 2500 Cummins - EX Ecodiesel owner.
14,784 Posts
Oh my. Bit of a shock to me. I was impressed with the new generation of Ecodiesel engines. Not needing the huge engine (Cummins 6.7) I switched to before the 2020's came out, the new model was a major consideration for me right after I got this darn CP4 changed out.

Shucks.

Now I also guess my hopes of Cummins making an in-line 6 cylinder diesel of about 4-5 liter in size for the 1500 is also gone. Same can be said for the long-term forecast of things like this forum. Of course there is no long-term expectation for any of us, especially me. Guess I better adapt to enjoying the memories.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'll be keeping a close eye on that support. Right now, a blown engine is ~$12k problem to fix if you're out of warranty. If there are none available, the value of my truck goes way down if it cannot be repaired, only scrapped. If they do stop supporting that engine, then getting full trade-in value now and moving to a Cummins starts to make a lot more sense.
Yep, it's a weird thing. If the EcoDiesel had a stellar reputation for reliability, that would be a different story. Hopefully the 3rd gen engine will do well. You would think FCA could easily axe the Ecodiesel across its entire product line, but they didn't... that's interesting.

It's not like the Ecodiesel is a dud, it actually gets a lot of respect in the small diesel world, produces solid performance and mpg. So, whatever problems they might have (or had) in the Ram would also be true for the Gladiator and Wrangler. That seems like a lot of "$12K problems" driving around.

That said, you may be right. This might be one of the last pages in the chapter on half-ton diesels and a good time to sell while (resale)values are still robust.

I'm keeping mine, I like rare birds. But, the 2500 Cummins is certainly a sweet ride.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I know there's no mention of Jeep's losing the EcoDiesel too but why wouldn't it? Seems crazy they will keep the Gen3 ED around just for Jeeps..
I agree, I can't help but wonder if Jeep has a similar announcement coming soon. But, reading online, thedrive.com says "As of right now, the 3.0-liter EcoDiesel V6—manufactured by VM Motori—will still be sold in models like the Jeep Wrangler and Gladiator." Go figure...

·
Registered
73 Posts
What. The. [email protected]!!

I waited for 3 years after the 5th Gens came out and finally just got an ED. I LOVE it. I had Hemis for 13 years and I like the ED SO much better. And now I find out I won't be able to get another one when I'm ready to trade this one in?!?

WAAAAAAAAHHH!!!!! :(

Reactions: madmax1212

·
Premium Member
2015 RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Bighorn 4x4
407 Posts
Maybe the Hurricane straight six won't fit in the Jeep Wranglers and Gladiators? Just a thought....

·
Registered
3,835 Posts

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
We're not hearing the full story. It doesn't make sense to stop production of the Ram 1500 EcoDiesel but continue EcoDiesel production in the Wrangler and Gladiator. That tells me there's an engine shortage or something else going on. The electric won't be available until 2024, so why cut off the Ram EcoDiesel in January 2023?

·
Registered
28 Posts
.... because the Ford F150 lightning is working out so well.....
Ha,Ha,Ha....what a freaking joke. The other issue is how the dealers are handling them. I actually like F150s and I could also imagine driving an EV truck someday, but dealers are killing their customers with crazy markups on the Ford F150 Lighting, some even double the MSRP. Honestly, dealers are slitting their own throats treating customers like that.

My guess is, after all the COVID drama "market adjustments" and "mark-ups", consumers are going to push a lot harder for direct sales models like Tesla. When given the choice between buying direct from the factory for "X" amount or TWICE that from a dealer....it's a no brainer. I have run across a few great dealers, but most are crappy, predatory and miserable places focused on one thing...profit, NOT customer service.

But the flip side...Ram has actually been cutting some deals lately, with much better pricing than Ford and GM products....thank you Chrysler! I guess even if it's a swan-song, the ED is great tow vehicle, something the Lightening just can't muster right now.

·
Registered
28 Posts
We're not hearing the full story. It doesn't make sense to stop production of the Ram 1500 EcoDiesel but continue EcoDiesel production in the Wrangler and Gladiator. That tells me there's an engine shortage or something else going on. The electric won't be available until 2024, so why cut off the Ram EcoDiesel in January 2023?
Agreed...weird. Maybe it's a cost issue? Is the $5k premium for the ED enough to cover manufacturing costs? They don't build the ED in-house (Italy), maybe they can't control for costs the same way as the Hemi or Pentastar. I just don't know. Maybe something else?

·
Registered
2021 Ram 1500 EcoD Laramie 4x4 crew cab ORP w/all the goodies
92 Posts
The Diesel Ram 1500 Is Going Away (msn.com)

So, will a person be able to order after the 1st of the year or will the stop letting you order then?? And will you need to order now???
Very disappointed. Over the years, I've leased most of my vehicles because I enjoy new ones every 3 years. But like this one so much was planning on keeping as it is a great vehicle. But will likely turn it back to Ram.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts