RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
21 - 40 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Maybe the Hurricane straight six won't fit in the Jeep Wranglers and Gladiators? Just a thought....
Interesting thought, the Jeep engine compartment is pretty tight.
The hurricane 3.0 is super impressive, the HO version has HP and torque numbers similar to (greater than actually) the Hemi 6.4. They are lighter, more powerful and more efficient than the Hemis. Is killing the ED all about simplifying the Ram 1500 product line? Whoa, wait….is the Hemi on the chopping block next?

·
Registered
556 Posts
I mean, how many Gen 3s have they warrantied for various leaks and issues? I know my dealer has done many of them. When you have a low volume engine that provides a higher than average level of issues it doesn't bode well. Today's economic climate makes it worse. Diesel is generally $1.20 or more per gallon which eliminates the money savings. Maintenance is sky high. Service departments are confused on oils and filters. It's been stressful for Ram/Jeep to keep offering this engine I'm sure and with things changing so rapidly now and the (false) image diesel portrays I'm not shocked that they're doing this.

GM will be the only game in town. LZ0 coming with 305/495 from the factory and a new 200,000 mile interval on that belt! I hate GM but if you want a 1/2 ton diesel that's the way to go.

·
Registered
113 Posts
My 2020 ED was bought back due to emission problem after problem with just over 11k miles. Zero issues with the engine but more than enough issues with the emissions equipment to make me dump it so early on.

What piques my interest in this announcement is the 3.0 ED lives on for now in the Jeep brand and the optional VM diesel has been dropped from the Promaster lineup albeit an inline 4 cylinder engine. The Hurricane engine is too long for the Jeep which may explain keeping the 3.0 ED for now and for how long. Is Stellantis silently parting ways with or divesting their interest in VM Motori after the $300 million fine?

In any event, it’s all about profit and staying off the CARB and EPA radar which RAM / Stllantis have managed to do until recently.

·
Registered
113 Posts
They wholly own Vm Motori..
Maybe they are looking to come up with $300 million somewhere…

I‘ve read the 2.0L 4XE power train “on paper” has numbers equal to the 5.7 Hemi but for how long is the question. A friend with a 4XE Wrangler Rubicon says he gets 25 miles electric on a good day So I can’t see this working out for long hauls.

·
Registered
2017 Ram 1500 ED Laramie 4x4 3.92 Charlotte, NC
1,690 Posts
The 4XE is supposed to show up in the 2024 Gladiator. I'm guessing that will kill the ED option. The 4XE is about $10,000 (US) higher than the v6 in the Wrangler, so going to a partial electric is not going to save you money unless you can use all of the tax rebate.

After thinking about this overnight, I think it is simply Stellantis cleaning up the engine offerings across the line. 1500s will be down to Hurricane or 4XE. Jeeps V6, 4XE, or all electric.

·
Registered
556 Posts
The 4XE is supposed to show up in the 2024 Gladiator. I'm guessing that will kill the ED option. The 4XE is about $10,000 (US) higher than the v6 in the Wrangler, so going to a partial electric is not going to save you money unless you can use all of the tax rebate.

After thinking about this overnight, I think it is simply Stellantis cleaning up the engine offerings across the line. 1500s will be down to Hurricane or 4XE. Jeeps V6, 4XE, or all electric.
Can't wait to see which ICE engine they pair with the Gladiator 4xe. They won't do the 2.0 due to heat buildup while testing towing under SAE J2807. Will they pair it with the Pentastar? Or a brand new engine? I'll believe it when I see one on a dealership lot.

·
Registered
2017 Ram 1500 ED Laramie 4x4 3.92 Charlotte, NC
1,690 Posts
Hadn't heard about the heat issue. That could be why the offering in the Gladiator got pushed back a year.

·
Registered
2021 Ram 1500 EcoD Laramie 4x4 crew cab ORP w/all the goodies
92 Posts
GM will be the only game in town. LZ0 coming with 305/495 from the factory and a new 200,000 mile interval on that belt! I hate GM but if you want a 1/2 ton diesel that's the way to go.
While unfortunate, I'll likely be Chevy/GM 1/2 ton diesel owner in a year. :(

·
Registered
285 Posts
I think you may be close to nailing it.

It's looking like most of the manufactures are streamlining their engine offerings in '23. GM will only be offering one engine in its Colorado/Canyon mid-size trucks in '23, Ford is cutting its engine offerings & has axed it's 3L diesel in the F-150. Ram is coming out with the I-6 gasser which will probably be the death nail for the hemi & has already done-in the EcoDiesel.

With the ever-tightening emissions requirements along with California & I believe its 13 other states proclaiming it will be illegal to sell an ICE engine vehicle starting in 2035, I can see why the truck makers are looking into their crystal balls and making business decisions to cut back on their engine offerings.

Then add-on the fact that whether we like it or not, the powers that be, have determined that EV's will & are going to be the future of the automotive world. I'm just hoping the battery technology will improve in the range & charging times by the time I'm ready to part with my 2020ED.

I will be taking a hard look at Ram's new Hurricane I-6 gas engine, on paper it looks good, but as we all know from the Gen-2 ED experience, looking good on paper & sound proven reliability are two different animals.

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
I'm thinking it's a part and/or supply chain issue with the engines. In recent months, people have reported issues when trying to order a Ram with the EcoDiesel option. I'm only guessing, but I wouldn't be surprised if there aren't enough engines for all three platforms, so they decided to cut Ram off and continue offering the EcoDiesel in the Jeep platform.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I doubt this is due to the fact that the engine is having issues cause the gen 3 is running great honestly. It is more likely they can't supply enough engines and since ram is making a new EV ram 1500 and the new hurricane engine that it was more profitable to supply jeep with the ecodiesel and cut the ram 1500 engine.
There will be no more eco-diesel in anything after 2023

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
We haven't heard any official announcement from Jeep, however, Stellantis (the parent company) did put out an official statement and only mentioned the EcoDiesel being discontinued in the Ram 1500. Take that for what it's worth.

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
It's also possible that Ram saw a conflict between the EcoDiesel and the new Hurricane engine. Coincidently, the Hurricane engine doesn't fit in the Wrangler and Gladiator. The Hurricane has some impressive specs:

Horsepower420 (standard output), 510(high output)
Torque468 (standard output), 500 (high output)

21 - 40 of 79 Posts