RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
41 - 60 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
I wonder if this will decrease or increase the resell value??
Who knows, hard to tell.
I imagine resale will stay strong while relatively new-ish ecodiesels with factory warranties are still running around. And, if you want to tow with a half ton and get decent mpg, there's no immediate substitute for the ED.

5 years from now when parts and technical support start thinning out....might be a different story.

Fortunately, aside from the drivetrain, everything else is still Ram 1500.

I'm hoping Jeep continues the ED for a while. I feel like that would help keep the product relevant and support its overall value.

·
Registered
2017 Ram 1500 ED Laramie 4x4 3.92 Charlotte, NC
1,690 Posts
Then add-on the fact that whether we like it or not, the powers that be, have determined that EV's will & are going to be the future of the automotive world. I'm just hoping the battery technology will improve in the range & charging times by the time I'm ready to part with my 2020ED.
It's not so much the range, at least for me without a trailer, as it is the charging time. We typically stop ever 2-3 hours for at least a quick biobreak. Maybe 10 minutes and then longer stops for food and fuel around the 5-6 hour mark. Even at 75 mph, that puts us at 450 miles.

This summer, we pulled into a station to fuel up, get snacks, and bathroom. There was a bank of Tesla chargers in front of the station. All of those hooked up cars were still there when we pulled out. One of the owners was even sitting on a blanket reading a book.

·
Registered
30 Posts
It's not so much the range, at least for me without a trailer, as it is the charging time. We typically stop ever 2-3 hours for at least a quick biobreak. Maybe 10 minutes and then longer stops for food and fuel around the 5-6 hour mark. Even at 75 mph, that puts us at 450 miles.

This summer, we pulled into a station to fuel up, get snacks, and bathroom. There was a bank of Tesla chargers in front of the station. All of those hooked up cars were still there when we pulled out. One of the owners was even sitting on a blanket reading a book.
Definitely, there’s some issues that have to be sorted out to make EVs (especially trucks) competitive. The trifecta of range, recharge time, and infrastructure are catching up fast, but nowhere near ICE vehicles. The Evolutionary curve on EVs is pretty impressive though. The big EV players like Tesla, Lucid, Mercedes are all starting to push the 500 mile per charge mark, wow.
As far as charge time goes, 45 minutes for 80% charge at a rapid DC charger is a little rough. I think that’s about where we’re at right now. Bust out your blankets and your books!

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
I noticed two things. 1.The brand is moving toward the EV future. 2.There was no mention about the Hurricane engine.
The Hurrican engine is going into the Ram 1500, but not until 2024.

·
Premium Member
2019 Ram 2500 Cummins - EX Ecodiesel owner.
14,784 Posts
It was a surprise to me that the Hurricane engine was not mentioned in that video. The Hemi and Pentastar were, yet past information has them being removed from production except for some models using the Pentastar.

There has been total silence on the 1500 and the Hurricane for 2023. My take there is maybe later in 2023 production after the Ecodiesel is dumped. Then I read where the Hurricane could be part of a hybrid 1500 package. Time will tell.

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
Interesting! All of the hype a few months ago for this engine said it would be available in the '23 models.
Stellantis has changed their own plans and timelines so many times in the last 12 months. I'm not exactly sure what's going to happen. For example, the Hurricane hybrid for the Grand Wagoneer has been canceled.

Reactions: Captainmal

·
Registered
285 Posts
I watched another video from the Detroit auto show featuring a top-of-the-line Limited 1500 that had an ED in it and a window sticker saying the ED would be available in the '23 model year. I made an inquiry to the host of that video, and he got back to me stating that he made the clip early on day one of the show and the announcement of dumping the ED was made later that day.

Go figure-Even Ram doesn't know what they are doing hour to hour. I find it pretty amazing they would be showcasing a truck at the Detroit show that's not available to order as shown.

Here's the video
First Look! 2023 RAM 1500 Limited Elite Edition @ NAIAS 2022 - YouTube

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
I watched another video from the Detroit auto show featuring a top-of-the-line Limited 1500 that had an ED in it and a window sticker saying the ED would be available in the '23 model year. I made an inquiry to the host of that video, and he got back to me stating that he made the clip early on day one of the show and the announcement of dumping the ED was made later that day.

Go figure-Even Ram doesn't know what they are doing hour to hour. I find it pretty amazing they would be showcasing a truck at the Detroit show that's not available to order as shown.

Interesting to hear this the same day. I am still considering the eco engine yet, but I am going to wait till about mid-November to see, hear if anything is being said about the in line 6 cyl gasser yet for 2023 before i pull the trigger on the Eco engine yet. They might even stop you from ordering any by then also if they have a quota set for the Eco engine in the 1500 trucks also. I am sure there will still be some 2022 on some dealer lots but maybe not exactly what I want though.

·
Premium Member
2015 RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Bighorn 4x4
407 Posts
Reactions: djr

·
Registered
4 Posts
It's about the new CAFE standards ushered in over the summer. See the mpg requirements light trucks are supposed to meet. I don't see any future for ICE engines.

"The new CAFE standards apply to model years 2024 and 2026, requiring an industry-wide fuel economy average of approximately 49 miles per gallon (mpg) for passenger cars and light trucks for model year 2026."

·
Registered
556 Posts
Yeah all this climate change B.S. has gotten out of control.

The official forecast for my town in Kentucky tomorrow is 94F. This would be the #2 highest temperature ever recorded on September 21st. But if you look at the other years in the top 5, guess what? 1895, 1931, 1940, 1891, long before cars and interstates existed in many cases. There is nothing new under the sun. Hot weather happened long before us and will be happening long after us. The only thing these government regulations do is increase the cost of living, and make life harder.

Reactions: RamIdaho

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
So now even fewer dealer techs who understand these engines and likely loss if supply and support for them starting in 5 years after warranties expire.
Resale values might bump up in the short term, but will take a dump next year.

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
"The new CAFE standards apply to model years 2024 and 2026, requiring an industry-wide fuel economy average of approximately 49 miles per gallon (mpg) for passenger cars and light trucks for model year 2026."
Even so, why not offer the EcoDiesel through the end of 2023? I still think the issue is engine production, which is why the EcoDiesel is still offered in the Wrangler and Gladiator. It's hard to justify building and selling new Ram EcoDiesel trucks when Ram is backlogged on warrantied engines for the 4th gen trucks.

·
Registered
2017 Ram 1500 ED Laramie 4x4 3.92 Charlotte, NC
1,690 Posts
It's about the new CAFE standards ushered in over the summer. See the mpg requirements light trucks are supposed to meet. I don't see any future for ICE engines.

These are not new and it's a average across the whole line offered. Toyota does great as long as they sell lots of priuii. A few years back, Nissan was trying to give away a Leaf with each larger SUV sold. All in the art of balancing that average.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Agreed...weird. Maybe it's a cost issue? Is the $5k premium for the ED enough to cover manufacturing costs? They don't build the ED in-house (Italy), maybe they can't control for costs the same way as the Hemi or Pentastar. I just don't know. Maybe something else?
Hi: cjb... Probably the EPA's got a hand in it? What do you do if you call the Fire Dept. only to find out their pumper is on the charger?
Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie.

41 - 60 of 79 Posts