RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
The EcoDiesel is dead. The car and truck are dead. All is ashes now.
We just took a tour of 7 western states, 9 days, 3700 miles and averaged 24.7 mpg - around 30-31 mpg on the freeway at 70 mph plus - with about 500 pounds of camping gear and "stuff" with zero issues. 94K so far and I see no end in sight.

·
Registered
2019 RAM 1500 Classic Tradesman 4X2 EcoDiesel
648 Posts
The official forecast for my town in Kentucky tomorrow is 94F. This would be the #2 highest temperature ever recorded on September 21st. But if you look at the other years in the top 5, guess what? 1895, 1931, 1940, 1891, long before cars and interstates existed in many cases. There is nothing new under the sun. Hot weather happened long before us and will be happening long after us. The only thing these government regulations do is increase the cost of living, and make life harder.
Looking at one date in one town is about as statistically insignificant as is possible. I could point out several cities that this month had their highest temperature ever for any date in the year. But instead, look at the whole USA or the whole world. Look at a whole year or the last decade. The Earth has in fact been hotter in the past, but the rate of warming is not natural. Our homes and cities and agriculture developed in a slowly changing climate and now it is changing more rapidly than we can comfortably adapt. Here's just one article that contradicts your point. I would urge you to look at the subject from a nonpolitical viewpoint.
More than 300 all-time heat records were broken in the US this summer. See where it was the hottest. | CNN

·
Registered
13 Posts
My thing now is I have a Laramie 2018 with the ecodiesel engine well the engine blow up at 43000 miles and two months later I have my truck back but since they are discontinuing the engine what does that mean for us and down the road in case if there's another blown engine are they going to have complete engines available and are they going to be able to fix the problems since they're supposedly discontinuing the diesel lineup

·
Registered
8 Posts
My thing now is I have a Laramie 2018 with the ecodiesel engine well the engine blow up at 43000 miles and two months later I have my truck back but since they are discontinuing the engine what does that mean for us and down the road in case if there's another blown engine are they going to have complete engines available and are they going to be able to fix the problems since they're supposedly discontinuing the diesel lineup
Ecodiesel is only going away in the RAM line up. Motor will be still availlable in Jeep Wrangler and Gladiator....but who knows for how long?

·
Registered
116 Posts
What. The. [email protected]!!

I waited for 3 years after the 5th Gens came out and finally just got an ED. I LOVE it. I had Hemis for 13 years and I like the ED SO much better. And now I find out I won't be able to get another one when I'm ready to trade this one in?!?

WAAAAAAAAHHH!!!!! :(
So what do you like so kuch better about the EcoD ?

·
Registered
648 Posts
The discontinuation of the Gen 3 motor in one line doesn't have much to do with the availability of Gen 2 motors--unless it frees up production capacity to make more of them. I have heard that they are required to have parts available for 10 (?) years after production, which would be 2029 for Gen 2, but I'm not sure how binding that "requirement" is.

One thing I have never heard mentioned is whether it is practical to replace the ED with a Hemi or Pentastar since they were available in the same body. I hope I never have to think about it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
So what do you like so kuch better about the EcoD ?
Quieter in all conditions.

I like the way it drives better. The Hemi accelerates harder when putting the pedal to the floor, but for normal driving (where I almost never put the pedal all the way to the floor anyway), the ED pulls and responds better (I think).

I do like having an 800 mile range and only needing to get fuel once every couple of weeks versus every week (assuming no weekend road trips).

In the last 2 months, I have driven 500 miles without stopping at all something like 3 times. So, the extra range of the ED does benefit ME (but maybe not people with lesser bladders ;)).

I did a 4 day trip from home (Columbia, SC) to Morehead City, NC for scuba diving. I filled up with diesel before leaving and now I'm back and I still haven't had to put fuel in (though it is now time).

I am also looking forward to any time I need to tow being able to go much further between fuel stops.

But, mainly it is the quiet and how it drives.

·
Super Moderator
4,083 Posts
The Hemi & Pentastar will also go away perhaps end of 23. 3.0 turbo gas, 3.0 HO twin turbo, 3.0 + hybrid / battery. Bean counters lineup. My son has a 2022 ED and is going to order another for his business quickly before you can’t get them in the 1500.

It’s a gamble for Ram I think. With no more diesel I guess no more 1500s for me. Unless GMs. Just no fan of Chinese owned (?) GM their government picked leadership or their shoty quality with respects to so much of the rest of their trucks/ cars.

·
Registered
648 Posts
It’s a gamble for Ram I think. With no more diesel I guess no more 1500s for me. Unless GMs. Just no fan of Chinese owned (?) GM their government picked leadership or their shoty quality with respects to so much of the rest of their trucks/ cars.
I'm still wondering why you wouldn't order a Gen 3 ED or two since you have had good luck with the Gen 2?

What fraction of GM do you think is owned by the Chinese? They are not in the top 10.
Font Rectangle Parallel Screenshot Number

·
Registered
3,836 Posts

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
I'm not going to watch a video. Can you answer the question?
The video is going to answer your question and educate you on many things that you are not aware of. Like Aristotle said, "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

·
Registered
648 Posts
The video is going to answer your question and educate you on many things that you are not aware of. Like Aristotle said, "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
I want the answer, but I don't have time to watch the video. Perhaps someone else here knows the answer.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I want the answer, but I don't have time to watch the video. Perhaps someone else here knows the answer.
That's what I've learned about the internet as a content publisher. People will spend hours of every day scrolling the Web, but they won't even take 2 minutes to watch a video. It's interesting...

Reactions: 97hmcs

·
Registered
556 Posts
Quieter in all conditions.

I like the way it drives better. The Hemi accelerates harder when putting the pedal to the floor, but for normal driving (where I almost never put the pedal all the way to the floor anyway), the ED pulls and responds better (I think).

I do like having an 800 mile range and only needing to get fuel once every couple of weeks versus every week (assuming no weekend road trips).

In the last 2 months, I have driven 500 miles without stopping at all something like 3 times. So, the extra range of the ED does benefit ME (but maybe not people with lesser bladders ;)).

I did a 4 day trip from home (Columbia, SC) to Morehead City, NC for scuba diving. I filled up with diesel before leaving and now I'm back and I still haven't had to put fuel in (though it is now time).

I am also looking forward to any time I need to tow being able to go much further between fuel stops.

But, mainly it is the quiet and how it drives.
I've heard a couple of guys mention the noise issue. I've had both and to me the Hemi is quieter.
In fact, my Hemi was hard to even know it was running so I put an aftermarket muffler on it that added just a hair more sound so I can audibly tell what the engine is doing. The EcoD sounds like construction equipment running.

I do agree about the driveability though. Having peak torque at 1,600 RPM is always going to drive better than having it at 3,500 RPM.

I just went back through all my logged Fuelly data. Two trucks identical except engine and axle ratio. My lifetime average with the Gen 3 EcoDiesel was 19.2 MPG. I did run 33” tires on it. Stocks were 32”. And I did tow a trailer occasionally. But I also had a lot of highway driving and a lot of non-towing most days of the week. My Hemi is only a few months old, but it also has 33” tires now and I still tow occasionally and I live in the same place and drive the same roads. Exact same useage for both trucks. My average so far with Hemi is 16.2. That’s exactly a 3 MPG spread between diesel and gas. Yesterday in Kentucky I was seeing $3 gas and $5 diesel fuel along I-75. So when I do the math on gaining 3 MPG with the diesel but paying $50 more for each tank of fuel, the Hemi is the obvious $$$ winner.

If a guy looks through the millions of combined miles of owner data on Fuelly he’ll see the same results I myself saw. My only point is that so many people think they’re going to save fuel money and we keep hearing that over and over but it’s not true. Potential buyers need to be aware. EcoDiesel is not a “double the miles” engine for most guys.

·
Registered
2017 Ram 1500 ED Laramie 4x4 3.92 Charlotte, NC
1,690 Posts
That's what I've learned about the internet as a content publisher. People will spend hours of every day scrolling the Web, but they won't even take 2 minutes to watch a video. It's interesting...
I've watched the video and find that it has some valid points but think it is mostly a bashing of GM and global suppliers with global resources. Yes, many things have moved overseas or out of country but it's a reality that the US and Canadian manufacturers had to face to stay competitive on the consumer pricing structure. No one is willing to pay 25% more just because the label says it's made in the US or Canada. IIRC, three of the top ten vehicles using the most US/Canadian parts are Hondas.

I will add that I work for a major global corporation so know the realities of sourcing and pricing on a worldwide basis.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I don't much like watching videos online. I am curious what is in the video that can't be put in writing.

61 - 79 of 79 Posts