RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
81 - 100 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
Going back to front, I totally agree and have posted numerous times that the reason for buying a ED is not to save money.

Your post said identical trucks except engine and axle ratio. And your sig says you have a Hemi with a 3.21. So, presumably, your ED was a 3.92 rear end.

In my mind, that goes a long way to explaining why your mileage with the ED was so low and your Hemi as high as it is.

My situation is the reverse. According to Fuelly, my current stats are:

Hemi w/3.92 (over 73K miles): 14.1 MPG
ED w/3.21 (over 7,439 miles): 23.3 MPG

Unfortunately, Fuelly doesn't seem to support filtering for what rear end gearing you have. It doesn't even let me filter for EDs from '20 on. But, among all RAM 1500 diesels, it looks like average fuel economy is 22 MPG.

And for all eTorque Hemis, the average is somewhere around 15.7 MPG. Non-eTorque (2011 - 2021) is just a bit lower.

You get a 3 MPG difference. I get 9. The Fuelly averages say 6. I'm guessing that is the difference in rear ends coming into play. You have worst case. I have best case. Fuelly has all cases. I feel pretty good about saying that all things being equal, including rear end gearing, the ED will show about 6 MPG better fuel economy.

Current fuel prices where I am are $4.19 for diesel and $2.91 for gas. Using Fuelly mileage numbers, that yields:

19.0 cents per mile for ED
18.5 cents per mile for Hemi

I think DEF adds ROUGLY 0.4 cents per mile to the ED, so at current fuel prices (and even without counting DEF), the ED actually costs more to drive, without even factoring in the more expensive maintenance.

Of course, that is assuming the same rear ends. I think there is a case to be made for some Hemi owners to have a 3.92. I don't think there is very much case at all for ED owners to have a 3.92. So, if you compare what actually makes sense to buy (i.e. compare Hemi w/3.92 to ED w/3.21), then the ED does have a slight cost advantage (before you factor in maintenance). For ME, using MY #s, I am saving 2.1 cents per mile (1.7 cents after buying DEF). Still not much, and definitely not offsetting maintenance.

As far as noise, I test drove a '22 ED (after driving to the dealer and home after in my '19 Hemi). And then I bought a different one. There is no question (in MY mind, anyway) that the ED is quieter in all conditions. This is speaking from the perspective of the driver, with all windows closed.

They are both inaudible at idle (when fully warm). The ED is quieter when accelerating. The ED is quieter when rolling at a steady speed.

If your ED was not quieter (in the parameters I laid out - fully warm and all windows closed), then I would say there was something wrong. Maybe bad ANC (active noise cancellation) in your truck. I don't know. Even my dad, who rode in my old truck plenty of times, was riding in my new truck and out of the blue commented, "this really IS quiet!"

My brother bought a '20 Hemi that is otherwise almost identical to my '21 ED right before I bought my ED. When I get a chance, I will have to download a sound meter app and try to compare them.

Thanks for this write up. Very well explained. Right now, I have the 2500 6.4 Hemi and you can imagine my fuel mileage. LOL But I need to go to a 1500 now because I see no need for the 3/4 ton now.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
The question would be is it cheaper to continue to run your 2500 instead of purchasing a new (er) 1500?
I am not sure if it would be any cheaper, but I would not have the out-of-pocket cost of the truck up front then and that is about all. It is time to go back down to the 1500. That will be plenty good for me and the wife when we only tow between 5 to 6 thousand lbs. every once in a while. Many highway miles also. We travel to our second home about 250 miles one way about every 10 to 14 days.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Also, if I want the Eco diesel, I guess I better step up to the plate here pretty soon from what I hear>>>>>
I read on another forum that they have already stopped accepting orders for '23 trucks with the ED.

So, yeah, if you want one you better stop shopping pretty hard to find one that is for sale.

I shopped pretty hard for mine, over a few months, and ended up buying a used '21, instead of a new truck, because the very few new trucks I found with everything I wanted were in the hands of dealers who apparently thought they were made out of gold. And, I had to drive 930 miles each way (from SC to Iowa) to get it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I read on another forum that they have already stopped accepting orders for '23 trucks with the ED.

So, yeah, if you want one you better stop shopping pretty hard to find one that is for sale.

I shopped pretty hard for mine, over a few months, and ended up buying a used '21, instead of a new truck, because the very few new trucks I found with everything I wanted were in the hands of dealers who apparently thought they were made out of gold. And, I had to drive 930 miles each way (from SC to Iowa) to get it.
2022 is the last year for the Ecodiesel in Canada. Tried ordering a 2023 and no-can-do. Not available

·
Super Moderator
4,135 Posts
We can still order as of Wednesday when we spoke to our local dealer here in Ohio. But there may be no heads up as to when they will stop accepting orders. Seems idiotic that Ram cannot say as of x date say a week or two in advance that we will stop accepting orders for the Ecodiesel. But that is the world we now are forced to live in. Order up fellas I suspect unless wrecked etc that it will not go down in value for a long time. Just my thoughts.

Reactions: mikent

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
2022 is the last year for the Ecodiesel in Canada. Tried ordering a 2023 and no-can-do. Not available

This was part of what an email from salesperson at one of the dealerships I have talked to lately "The tough part is they haven't released the 2023's yet in the EcoDiesel. I'm not 100% sure what to tell you. " So with that I guess I will look for a 2022 and call it a day. I am, not going to wait around too much longer.

·
Registered
34 Posts
This was part of what an email from salesperson at one of the dealerships I have talked to lately "The tough part is they haven't released the 2023's yet in the EcoDiesel. I'm not 100% sure what to tell you. " So with that I guess I will look for a 2022 and call it a day. I am, not going to wait around too much longer.
Not sure what specific options you are looking for, but Mark Dodge in Lake Charles LA has several EcoDiesels in stock. They are one of the biggest discount Ram dealerships in the country and will arrange delivery if needed.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I picked up a Gladiator Overland with the EcoDiesel last week and took advantage of FCA’s 0% financing. I got very tired of the anemic v6 and the repeated P0300 codes sealed the deal.

I said I’d pick up another EcoDiesel when the opportunity presented itself and I didn’t realize just how much I missed the power train combination.

·
Registered
2021 Ram 1500 EcoD Laramie 4x4 crew cab ORP w/all the goodies
96 Posts
I picked up a Gladiator Overland with the EcoDiesel last week and took advantage of FCA’s 0% financing. I got very tired of the anemic v6 and the repeated P0300 codes sealed the deal.

I said I’d pick up another EcoDiesel when the opportunity presented itself and I didn’t realize just how much I missed the power train combination.
That's a pretty cool rig. Wish they had that option when I went thru a couple of wranglers. Yes, that V6 penstar (and the earlier model) didn't do them justice.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
While unfortunate, I'll likely be Chevy/GM 1/2 ton diesel owner in a year. :(
Well after looking pretty hard and contacting 3 dealers about the Eco diesel in the 2022 and only having one respond back to me, I guess I will be looking at the 2023 GMC. Ram dealers that I have talked to do not seem to give a rat's azz about selling a truck or even going and do a dealer swap. Years ago, like back in 2017 they went out of their way to find something for you if they did not have it on their lot. Guess times are a changing now compared to back a few years. Must have something to do with the Covid crap. Sure, changed stuff in my mine. So with that I contacted a GMC dealer and within 30 minutes I had a response back and will be talking to them tomorrow. Maybe they are hungrier than the Ram dealers. :ROFLMAO: Guess we will see tomorrow how things are with the 3.0 Duramax then

·
Registered
2019 RAM 1500 Classic Tradesman 4X2 EcoDiesel
764 Posts
Well after looking pretty hard and contacting 3 dealers about the Eco diesel in the 2022 and only having one respond back to me, I guess I will be looking at the 2023 GMC. Ram dealers that I have talked to do not seem to give a rat's azz about selling a truck or even going and do a dealer swap. Years ago, like back in 2017 they went out of their way to find something for you if they did not have it on their lot. Guess times are a changing now compared to back a few years. Must have something to do with the Covid crap. Sure, changed stuff in my mine. So with that I contacted a GMC dealer and within 30 minutes I had a response back and will be talking to them tomorrow. Maybe they are hungrier than the Ram dealers. :ROFLMAO: Guess we will see tomorrow how things are with the 3.0 Duramax then
$5500 off MSRP isn't bad under current conditions. I wonder what they will take off on the GM?
Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Vehicle Land vehicle

Reactions: VernDiesel

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 ·
$5500 off MSRP isn't bad under current conditions. I wonder what they will take off on the GM?
View attachment 93010

I really think it depends on the area you are from. I need 4x4 living in Wisconsin. Which does cost more. And I am looking for a 2023 and GM has changed their Duramax for 2023. But I do understand your point which is how much of a discount which auto manufacturer will give now days which is huge anymore.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I really think it depends on the area you are from. I need 4x4 living in Wisconsin. Which does cost more. And I am looking for a 2023 and GM has changed their Duramax for 2023. But I do understand your point which is how much of a discount which auto manufacturer will give now days which is huge anymore.
Only $2500 off on 4X4 there. My friend is looking for a Toyota RAV4 and some dealers are charging $5-10K markups, so any discount looks good. As with the trucks, she will have to take what's available, including some goo gaws she didn't want, but at least one dealer isn't charging a markup.
Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Vehicle Automotive tire

Reactions: CraigGuy

·
Registered
764 Posts
It's worse than RAM dropping the EcoDiesel--they're going with EcoBoost! Shouldn't a RAM Raptor have a Duramax? (This is from a RAM dealership!!!)
Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Tire Car Land vehicle

Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Land vehicle Car

·
Premium Member
2019 Ram 2500 Cummins - EX Ecodiesel owner.
14,910 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
That is the most cockeyed ad seen here. Back in 2021 they have interposed Ram and Ford into the same ad.

Creative. Now who did that?
Midway Dodge in IL.

Reactions: Captainmal

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #100 ·
Still trying to decide which way to go now. Looked at some GM in line 6 diesel but not looking good yet. And I see in our area that there is more EcoDiesel coming to the dealer lots and some I have seen have been some time now. So, with the rise in interest rates, I believe some deals will be had here in another 3 to 6 months yet. And waiting to see if the recall on the fuel pumps will affect pricing of these EcoDiesel yet too. Some people might just shy away from these now and the reason some deals might be had yet. Might just sell my 2500 6.4 Hemi and wait for a killer deal after the first of the year. A person never knows>>>>>>

81 - 100 of 118 Posts