RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as with almost every new purchase in my life, I seek magazines to subscribe to.

With a bit of research, I've come to the conclusion that dieselpowermag.com is really the only US-focused magazine targeting diesel owners. And admittedly, it's almost exclusively aligned with the HD truck side of things.

I'd be happy to hear if there are other magazines, however.

I will say, I think the DP magazine site...stinks... :( Amazing how little publishing they do and how it's just not that deep. I wanted to read an article, and on the first try, I realized halfway through it was a paid add for a company selling power parts and upgrades for the model they wrote the article about.

The second attempt was, admittedly, a bit more of a choice. Instead of being able to read quietly, they had videos. Tough to watch them while my wif eis watching TV next to me. First world problem, for sure, but as a writer, it sometimes bothers me to see people avoiding writing and yet publishing articles. Granted, yes, loads of people like to consume video online, and my problem may be unique to me, but neither of those points limits my frustration.

In any event, my personal biases aside, I'm still left trying to find quality print publications to subscribe to. Maybe it's simply time to give up the dream of watching magazines appear in my mailbox...LOL

·
Registered
150 Posts
I end up getting more info from forums. When I had my Chevy diesels (6.2/6.5/ 6.6), I joined a site that focused on just Chevy diesels. Over time, the knowledge base was quite incredible. If I had questions or needed info on a purchase, it was there, much like this site will have available.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I end up getting more info from forums. When I had my Chevy diesels (6.2/6.5/ 6.6), I joined a site that focused on just Chevy diesels. Over time, the knowledge base was quite incredible. If I had questions or needed info on a purchase, it was there, much like this site will have available.
Agreed, but I'm not asking because I don't know how to find info. Sometimes I just want to read a magazine. ;)

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Over the years, I've learned to NOT subscribe to a mag. Most of them just write "Fluff" articles, just to sell advertising. THEN... those adds are the same month after month. About twice a year... I will go to the mag section of a book store, and pick up one or two... just to see what's going on.

The only 2 exceptions to this are...

1) If I have a family member (kids) that are selling subscriptions as a fund raiser. Then, it's helping the school, or club, and the price is good.

2) I get a couple mags with membership of organizations I belong to. In this case, I flip though them... read the "District news"... and they hit the trash.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I have gotten several motorcycle mags...they all do the same articles about the same bikes at the same time!! I would guess the diesel/truck mags do the same.....by staying at a forum like this, I know I will learn more about the truck, as I have with my motorcycle!

·
Registered
360 Posts
I am trying out Truck Trend. It is a Motor Trend publication. The first issue seemed pretty good. Unfortunately, I am detecting the same GM bias as in Motor Trend. I think it is due to all the advertising GM does with them.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Canadian one. Can't remember the name they do the truck king challenge. I don't feeling like googling it.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Canadian one. Can't remember the name they do the truck king challenge. I don't feeling like googling it.
I really want to post a smartass response about how helpful this is, but I won't...

I will say...its a website, not a magazine. (clicky to said website)

Love that they did a full comparison such as they did, but I'm inclined to believe there isn't much new there that I haven't already read on the usual popular sites. Which is a shame, because I do like supporting Canadian sites.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I love the condescending attitude..... like we are the poor retarded cousin. (canadians)

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
So as with almost every new purchase in my life, I seek magazines to subscribe to. ...
The print publishing industry tanked because of the internet, digital media and the recession. The biggest magazines that survived are put out by AARP which tells us who likes print. The only magazine in the top 25 that has prospered is about video games. What is left of the automobile mags depend on bare-bones staff and meager advertising. Not much there to read and almost nothing original.

I once subscribed to several auto mags that provided unique, in-depth coverage. They are either gone or replaced by cover-to-cover advertising and stock articles. The only subscription I have now is to Overland Journal which covers vehicle adventure travel.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The print publishing industry tanked because of the internet, digital media and the recession. The biggest magazines that survived are put out by AARP which tells us who likes print. The only magazine in the top 25 that has prospered is about video games. What is left of the automobile mags depend on bare-bones staff and meager advertising. Not much there to read and almost nothing original.

I once subscribed to several auto mags that provided unique, in-depth coverage. They are either gone or replaced by cover-to-cover advertising and stock articles. The only subscription I have now is to Overland Journal which covers vehicle adventure travel.
Sorry to say this, but I'm part of the problem...the online side of things. I run my own websites, I (used to publish unique content, etc., etc. Heck, I used to write for actual magazines covering Jeeps and offroad events...then switched to running my own websites, publishing there and making my own money...

At this point, I think it's either safe to say...

1 - there are no other mags than dieselpowermag.com
2 - people here don't like reading today's crop of magazines

·
Registered
37 Posts
There is a magazine called Diesel Tech published by Harris Publishing. You can preview it at dieseltechmag.com. I can't vouch for its content as I've never read it. Up until recently, I wasn't all that interested in diesels. I'd be interested in hearing what you all have to say about it.

Darrin

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
There is a magazine called Diesel Tech published by Harris Publishing. You can preview it at dieseltechmag.com. I can't vouch for its content as I've never read it. Up until recently, I wasn't all that interested in diesels. I'd be interested in hearing what you all have to say about it.

Darrin
Thanks for adding Darrin. :) And welcome to the community!

·
Registered
213 Posts
I subscribe to both Truck Trend and Motor Trend. Motor Trend did give their Truck of the Year Award to RAM 2 years in a row, 2013 and 2014, largely based on the new Eco-diesel.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts