RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to get some info from you guys. I have been going back and forth between the Hemi/Eco D. So I wanted to make sure I had all my facts when figuring out pricing etc. I have a Diesel car and other than more expensive oil changes and Fuel filters, and DEF, am I missing anything.

I did a quick search and looks like DIY would run around $85-$100 for the 10.5 qts of the Rotella and filter. and Fuel filters were $25-$80.00 Am I missing any thing. When I totaled it up to 100K miles it was bout 450.00 More than the Hemi. My only hesitation right now is the emissions crap failing after the warranty. Am I correct its 100K or is that only the motor?

Thanks

RS

·
Registered
648 Posts
Emissions stuff is different, not 100% sure, but some is only covered under the 3 year 36k Mile warranty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,456 Posts
Think emissions goes to 80K under a Federal mandate.

Ecoguard oil filters are under $10 each on Ebay and other sources. They work fine and many, many use them. Fuel filters are in the $30 range but the change interval can be 30,000 miles. DEF is under $3 a gallon at truck stops in bulk. Much easier to fill there than from those stupid plastic containers that also cost way more.

You read like money is the whole game for you. Many are like that and fear problems with things different for them. I fear gasoline engines. Have not had one in my trucks since the very early 1990's. Would not want one. They sound, pull and feel like crap. Gas engines consume spark plugs, have dangerous fuel, tow horribly (ever see a gasoline big truck?), get miserable fuel mileage and also have issues. Guessing you are a better fit in the Hemi. Now wait until you have to change out those twin plugs and talk about expensive trouble.

The increased fuel mileage is just one advantage of a diesel. The rest are power and operation characteristics. For many the price is not the issue. Hard to come up with an analogy that does not break down and you might relate to. Wanna cruise to the biker bar on a Harley or on a Chinese Gamatzu?

It's not the money so much as it's who you are. Could be cheaper with the diesel if money is your only criteria. There are no guarantees.

****** Read this and look at the guys spreadsheet. Pay special attention to the mileage when he was NOT towing that big trailer. Change to a Hemi and start with single digit fuel mileage and 1/2 the fuel mileage no trailer. Factor in the screaming motor sound of the gasser and think more.

https://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/ram-1500-diesel-towing-hauling/66728-finally-back-home-after-10-000-mile-vacation.html

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Search for the Ram warranty book. There are PDFs online. Some items are 3/36. Others are 80k. They specify which is which.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Think emissions goes to 80K under a Federal mandate.

Ecoguard oil filters are under $10 each on Ebay and other sources. They work fine and many, many use them. Fuel filters are in the $30 range but the change interval can be 30,000 miles. DEF is under $3 a gallon at truck stops in bulk. Much easier to fill there than from those stupid plastic containers that also cost way more.

You read like money is the whole game for you. Many are like that and fear problems with things different for them. I fear gasoline engines. Have not had one in my trucks since the very early 1990's. Would not want one. They sound, pull and feel like crap. Gas engines consume spark plugs, have dangerous fuel, tow horribly (ever see a gasoline big truck?), get miserable fuel mileage and also have issues. Guessing you are a better fit in the Hemi. Now wait until you have to change out those twin plugs and talk about expensive trouble.

The increased fuel mileage is just one advantage of a diesel. The rest are power and operation characteristics. For many the price is not the issue. Hard to come up with an analogy that does not break down and you might relate to. Wanna cruise to the biker bar on a Harley or on a Chinese Gamatzu?

It's not the money so much as it's who you are. Could be cheaper with the diesel if money is your only criteria. There are no guarantees.

****** Read this and look at the guys spreadsheet. Pay special attention to the mileage when he was NOT towing that big trailer. Change to a Hemi and start with single digit fuel mileage and 1/2 the fuel mileage no trailer. Factor in the screaming motor sound of the gasser and think more.

https://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/ram-1500-diesel-towing-hauling/66728-finally-back-home-after-10-000-mile-vacation.html
Thanks for the reply, Money is not the full motivator as its less than 3500.00 difference between the two vehicles. I just wanted to see if I was missing something from my list. That I may have over looked. Other than the crappy costly emissions stuff breaking out of warranty, for me the Diesel fits what I need for towing etc. Others the Hemi would fit them perfectly.

·
Super Moderator
3,778 Posts
Other than the crappy costly emissions stuff breaking out of warranty, for me the Diesel fits what I need for towing etc. Others the Hemi would fit them perfectly.
Of you do a bunch of towing the EcoD is sort of a no-brainer decision if it's not a big enough load to warrant a CTD.
There was member that towed a Ram Hemi pick up on a trailer(estimated truck & trailer weight 7K lbs) and still got solid 14 MPGs.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I have a 2017 Bighorn Hemi and an Ecodiesel. Don't see cost of maintaining much different. Both are great trucks, but towing with the diesel is way better, no engine racing at 4500 rpm up hills and range on the 26 gallon tank is way more. If I granny drive the hemi, I can squeak out 23 mpg, the diesel, 32 mpg. Quite a difference!

'

grannie drive

·
Registered
660 Posts
I have a 2017 Bighorn Hemi and an Ecodiesel. Don't see cost of maintaining much different. Both are great trucks, but towing with the diesel is way better, no engine racing at 4500 rpm up hills and range on the 26 gallon tank is way more. If I granny drive the hemi, I can squeak out 23 mpg, the diesel, 32 mpg. Quite a difference!

'

grannie drive
Hi: HYDREX... My "Grannie's" don't drive my truck... they got wings!!! Remember... "Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly"!!!
Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Its six of one, half a dozen of the other. Some have had the diesel grenade on them and great luck with a gas. I know others that have had the hemi eat its cam. It's a crap shoot and always will be. Get the one you want/need and don't look back.

As for maintenance costs, it's a crap shoot and comparing apples to oranges. Yes diesels require pricier fuel filter changes but it comes out in the wash with mileage gains. Oil changes are a wash too. My ISB6.7 is cheaper than my 5.7 hemi on oil.

One load of hay covers the cost of fuel filters when towing compared to running a faster in my case.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Just wanted to get some info from you guys. I have been going back and forth between the Hemi/Eco D. So I wanted to make sure I had all my facts when figuring out pricing etc. I have a Diesel car and other than more expensive oil changes and Fuel filters, and DEF, am I missing anything.

I did a quick search and looks like DIY would run around $85-$100 for the 10.5 qts of the Rotella and filter. and Fuel filters were $25-$80.00 Am I missing any thing. When I totaled it up to 100K miles it was bout 450.00 More than the Hemi. My only hesitation right now is the emissions crap failing after the warranty. Am I correct its 100K or is that only the motor?

Thanks

RS
EcoGuard oil filters are great. Mopar Fuel is only one to use and $25ish on Amazon. Your math needs to include 7-8mpg better for the ED. In late 2015 my math equaled a 'break even' point around 75,000 miles vs. Hemi including a $4000 ED Premium at the time.

My fuelly currently shows $0.095 cost per mile for the ED (198,000 miles) and $0.093 for my former v-6 300S (72,000 miles). Less than a dime a mile in fuel and Federal Reimbursement rates $0.55 a mile.

An ED must be driven like a diesel...and not a grocery getter....so it ultimately depends on how many miles you drive a day/week.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts